What's new

Greatest Guitar Player Tournament (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Time to confess to a moment of stupidity. I have been told by someone who definitely knows, that technical proficiency and technique really are essentially the same thing. I guess I was mixing up "technique" with "style" or "feel." Oops.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Actually, technical proficiency and technique aren't precisely the same thing. I see technique more as knowledge, whereas technical proficiency is skill at playing (playing very fast, all over the fretboard, etc.).

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The fact is that the better the technique, the better the player. This whole thread largely seems to be a discussion of composition rather than guitar-playing ability. If you liked the solos that Hendrix composed better than the solos that John Petrucci composed, than you naturally think that Hendrix is the better guitar player. Subjectivity is a beautiful thing
Even though every musician I listed has brilliant technique, let me try to show you how ultimately meaningless "technique" is if you make it the primary criterion by which to judge musical ability (much less the one and only criterion by which to do so):

By this standard, Kathy Lee Gifford is a greater musician than Bob Dylan.

And Celine Dion is greater than Billie Holiday.

And Michael Bolton is greater than Ray Charles.

I can't argue that Kathy, Celine and Michael aren't in each instance better trained vocalists with greater techniques and wider ranges, but their perfectly articulated, golden-throated fooferal doesn't move me like a single well-placed grunt from Ray Charles, or a quick intake of air before a tired creaky note from Billie, or a raspy huhhh giving way to a warbly harmonica wail from Bob. The difference in their artistry is measured in universes.

We've got alot of guitar players out there with all the technical ability of Celine Dion... and they're every bit as boring. The only thing that matters is the music. Crap played real fast, real clean is just crap played real fast, real clean.

And a great artist can work you over more with a single note than a lesser musician can with a hundred.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I agree with everything you said. What was it about my post that is contradictory with your view? I think "composition" says it all. Your analogies are useful, but I think the reason that you prefer (and rightly so) Dylan to Gifford is that Dylan wrote the music (largely), and it seems like he has LIVED the music. Whereas Gifford, Dion and Bolton are tasteless hacks. Dylan couldn't sing "Happy Birthday" in tune, but, as a singer/songwriter, that's really not the point. Anyway, back to guitar players....:)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Let me interject something into this thread that's basically become a discussion of feeling vs technical talent. First of all, many of you are quickly writing off guitarists like Vai, Petrucci, and Satriani because they lack "feeling" and only have the technical talent on the guitar. I'd have to disagree. Many of you just haven't listened to enough of either of the artist although if I were to pick one with the least amount of feeling in his playing I'd take Vai. It can be interesting music. Give it a chance.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Rich. I remeber listenting to Satriani's SURFING WITH THE ALIEN in the late 80's a lot and even though the record is an instrumental, it is so emotional that I could basically put lyrics to each song.

The song titles are also very descriptive of the mood of each song.

Although, I have to give Eddie Van Halen the best all around player award (technical, emotional, jam, in your face, fun) ...all that stuff.

In the more underground metal scene there is only one ... the late, great CHUCK SCHULDINER of DEATH ... very underrated!

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
Let me also add another point. Guys like the three I mentioned have whole albums devoted to their playing. No lyrics, so it usually doesn't have typical time signatures. These players have to keep you entertained by themselves for entire albums. Sure, some of the songs may sound like mindless playing, but others do not. Think of it this way, take Gilmour's riff on Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2. Simple, many people like it and it fits with the song. Say if he were to just play that repeatedly with no vocals. It would get old. I respect some of these "no feeling technical talents" just for keeping me entertained without any vocals through entire albums.

Heinz W

Second Unit
Not all stuff by the new generation of fretboard gymnasts is lacking in feeling and emotion. Eric Johnson immediately comes to mind in this regard. Satriani is capable of such playing although it is definitely more subtle. "Flying in a Blue Dream" is exquisitely emotive and conjurs surreal, dreamlike images while being technically proficient. Johnson's "Manhatten" is just sublime and he in particular seems to be able play emotionally as well as being a technical master.
However :D, I STILL prefer to hear the old guys who probably couldn't play like the new boys if they wanted to. Jimmy Page's intro to "Since I've Been Loving You" has more soul and feeling than everything I've ever heard by Vai. Likewise with Gilmour. And Hendrix.
If you want to hear some guitar playing that's a little of both, technically brilliant yet soulful try Jeff Beck's 1975 effort Blow by Blow, or its 1976 follow-up Wired. Just amazing stuff.
All that said, I like BOTH groups of players, but as a music fan, and an avid guitarist, I'll take feeling over acrobatics any day and twice on Sunday! :D

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I'm with Heinz!

Technical ability is great but it's the music that matters. For instance, Buckethead. That dude can shred but he's no SRV!

-Marshall

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Alright folks, are we going to turn this into a real tournament? If so, let's assume that we each get three nominations (Ryan can modify the rules at his leisure). I'll nominate my three favorite guitarists of all time:

Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Jimi Hendrix

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sure, I'll bite. I nominate:
Django Reinhardt
Howard Alden
Julian Bream
I'm sure they will all go far. ;)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Nice nominations, Trevor! :emoji_thumbsup:
I will nominate:
Michael Schenker
Jake E Lee
Elmore James

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks