What's new

GREAT GATSBY original soundtrack restored on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
In reference to the film THE GREAT GATSBY (with Robert Redford), a reviewer at amazon.com notes: "TV editions still have it, but some music royalty issues scuttled the VHS version, effectively destroying the whole tone of the movie. Without the original film having Irving Berlin's 'What'll I Do' and a few other '20s standards, the mystical, romantic soul of the movie is banished, and what comes across is a shadow of the original production."

Can anyone tell me: does the DVD of THE GREAT GATSBY have the "restored, original" soundtrack?

Thanks!

MC

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Not a well known fact, but many of the songs are actually crooned by 1920s radio idol Nick "The Crooning Troubador" Lucas, who starred in THE GOLD DIGGERS OF BROADWAY and was a prominant guitar player and singer on the Brunswick label. Nick's big hits were "Tip Toe Through The Tulips" (Lucas was Tiny Tim's inspiration and was at his wedding to Miss Vickie on Carson singing his trademark song) and two instrumentals: "Picking the Guitar" and "Teasin' the Frets", which are amazing guitar solos, even by today's standards.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
You forgot to mention that actor William Atherton does the vocals for "What'll I Do" in the opening sequence. The choice of the song is most appropiate considering Gatsby's longing for the upper-class Daisy who seems to be out of reach. Irving Berlin wrote the song out of despair over his longing for heiress Ellin Mackay, whose father objected his Irish, Catholic daughter dating a Jewish songwriter. Apparently Berlin's plea worked: Ellin defied convention and married him, and raised their kids as Protestants!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks