What's new

Directors GREAT Films you hate - The Draft (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
George, I don't think I'll be choosing any of the rest of your Top 20...but there a few I haven't seen yet. ;)

:)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
A Place in the Sun
- I was going to pick Midnight Cowboy, but my opinion of the film is getting better with every thought.

Anywho, this establishes the second film starring Montgomery Clift that I hate.

If there was any a time to confess, this was one of the only films I fast-fowarded through during the AFI challenge. It was really that boring.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I think before the voting starts, we all should be required to write mini-essays on why we've chosen certain films.

Or you can simply cut and paste a previous post that sums up your feelings.

I've got some pretty good reasons for the films I've chosen, and I'd love to hear some retorts. :)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Thats sounds fine with me. :)

Brian Lawrence is up

On deck

George Kaplan
ErikG
Justin_S x 2

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
If you hated the first one so much, why'd you see the second one?
I go into every movie theater with an optimistic attitude. I feel that every film deserves a fair chance, and The Two Towers was no exception. There was also a possibility that I could have liked this film, since was very different from the first. Look at Roeper for example, he hated the first film just as much as I did, but ended up loving the second.

I will most likely see the final film out of continuity.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
You know, I watch tons of movies, and only a small minority make it into my rewatchable (hence a purchase) list. But of all those films I have no desire to see again, very few irritate the hell out of me. For example, I just got through watching Treasure Island (1934). A fine movie, good acting, well-written, but for some reason, just not up to rewatchable for me. But I don't hate it, and it didn't irritate me.

Now, the films that do irritate me fall in various categories (e.g., racist, bizarre characters acting weird to symbolize something I suppose) and a lot of them fall into the over-acted over melodramatic soap opera category.

I don't know why, but soap operas just irritate the hell out of me. You know, those cheesy things on daytime tv, where someone says something shocking to someone's face, and the other person just stands there frozen while big music plays and then a commercial. Then the show resumes and after standing frozen for 5 more seconds, the person over-reacts. :thumbsdown: The only 'soap opera' I ever liked was Knot's Landing which which well acted, and didn't do things like that.

But I digress. My next choice of a film that irritated the hell out of me is just such a film. The acting is horrendous, and the 'soap opera' qualities are all there. :frowning:

All About Eve

I know that was kind of a long-winded introduction, but you wanted to know why we hate these films. :)

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
A Beautiful Mind--This borefest is no better than a TV movie of the week, and far from the masterpiece it is hyped to be. How this was awarded best movie of 2001 over the infinitely more interesting Memento is beyond me. It saddens me to think that these days, this is what passes for great film making.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
BACK TO THE FUTURE- another so called comedy that I found to be mind numbingly unfunny, and the film was quite bland overall if you ask me.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK- An adventure film that offers no thrills, obnoxious characters, and a pretty boring execution of the plot.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
The Exorcist--I just don't understand why this overrated yawner is considered one of the scariest movies of all-time. I mean c'mon, the trailer for Young Frankenstein was scarier! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy horror movies and being scared, but this wouldn't even crack my top 100.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Deer Hunter Not only does this film drag like hell in the beginning, but it's got one of the most ridiculously unlikely coincidences ever put on celluloid.

I figured out the odds once, and don't remember them, but it was like billions or trillions to 1, against this guy being able to play russian roulette all that time and live, only to die just as his friend shows up (I don't remember but he'd been playing it for a least a year or something).

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The film that so many love and even more amazingly, somehow find "inspirational"?

-Rudy

My limited abilities with the written word prevent me from ever being able to impress upon people just how much I loath & hate this retch inducing brand of emotional fascism. But let's just say that I despise this film with an intensity hotter than the glowing embers of hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks