What's new

Gravity (2013) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
SamT said:
Please explain to me which part is ridiculous.
. When you're having a dream or hallucinating, later you never have a clear image of it in your mind. It's not real to you anymore.
Simply untrue, and your complaint is based on that.You must have really been bothered by Fight Club.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
SamT said:
By the way I loved the movie and gave it 10/10 but I hated the dream scene. Broke the atmosphere, the solitude. I'm not against a dream scene, I had a problem with the execution. Too real, too much looked like the rest of the film.
Sam. If you go back and look at that scene again, there are clues that it wasn't real. First, When George Clooney opens the hatch, nothing gets sucked out. Also he doesn't have a backpack, never mind the jet pack. And wouldn't the sudden change in pressure and temperature have killed Sandra Bullock instantly. And she's hyperventilating the whole time while George is breathing normally suggesting that the gauges are still depleting. Subtle hints but they are there. Hopefully this makes you feel better. ;)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm just glad that openly discussing
the presence of a dream sequence
isn't a spoiler or anything! :rolleyes:

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
16 pages in, you expect to see more than preview details.It was different when movies had separate review and discussion threads. But I haven't seen that much lately.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Personally, I'm kind of torn. I hate unmarked spoilers, period. There are way too many films that I don't get to see right away. Sorry, Mark!

I remember when a friend of mine started using an online avatar that gave away the SUPER-SHOCKING final shot of Dexter season 4 when it wasn't even out on DVD yet!

Which reminds me of the Dexter season 6 DVD set, which had an unskippable preview that gave away the SUPER-SHOCKING final shot of ITSELF!

(Currently watching season 8. . .and they STILL only include closed captions that don't work on modern setups!!!)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Aaron Silverman said:
Personally, I'm kind of torn. I hate unmarked spoilers, period. There are way too many films that I don't get to see right away. Sorry, Mark!
I share your feelings. I hate spoilers. I don't even let my wife the "coming next week" teasers at the end of our shows. But (1) there's no way to mark spoilers from mobile browsers and (2) 16 pages into a good conversation, everything is a spoiler and marking it all is tedious to write and tedious to read.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Tino said:
Sam. If you go back and look at that scene again, there are clues that it wasn't real.First, When George Clooney opens the hatch, nothing gets sucked out.Also he doesn't have a backpack, never mind the jet pack.And wouldn't the sudden change in pressure and temperature have killed Sandra Bullock instantly. And she's hyperventilating the whole time while George is breathing normally suggesting that the gauges are still depleting.Subtle hints but they are there. Hopefully this makes you feel better. ;)
Oh yes, I know. I knew it wasn't real from the first second Clooney showed up even before opening the hatch. I just don't like it in this movie. It's a hard science movie, lets not break the beautiful almost close to real images. It's just my personal opinion.

If people still don't get it that it's a dream after he opens the hatch, then it's funny and frightening at the same time! :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
SamT said:
Oh yes, I know. I knew it wasn't real from the first second Clooney showed up even before opening the hatch. I just don't like it in this movie. It's a hard science movie, lets not break the beautiful almost close to real images. It's just my personal opinion.

If people still don't get it that it's a dream after he opens the hatch, then it's funny and frightening at the same time! :D
Hard science? Him opening the hatch is about as realistic as the scene where he floats away in the first place! :p

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hard science?
OK, I guess it's not hard science when you see George Clooney and Sandra Bullock as astronauts! :rolleyes:

There is another interesting discussion on how the movie would have been if it was not an A-List actor. Someone less known or more believable as an astronaut. I'm still not sure if it would have been better or worse with an unknown.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't get why Clooney or Bullock aren't believable as astronauts. I had no problem believing Clooney was a veteran astronaut and Bullock was on a first (and maybe only) mission because of her specialized talents. The space program has had non-pilots go into space.

If I had one issue with the movie it was this: I knew the two of them were in for some big-time jeopardy, and with Clooney's character talking about this was his last mission, I knew he was not going to survive the movie. But that's a nit. I found it to be an excellent movie.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
SamT said:
OK, I guess it's not hard science when you see George Clooney and Sandra Bullock as astronauts! :rolleyes:

There is another interesting discussion on how the movie would have been if it was not an A-List actor. Someone less known or more believable as an astronaut. I'm still not sure if it would have been better or worse with an unknown.
If Cate Blanchett had played Bullock's part, I think I would've gone to see the movie. (And Bullock could have played her part in BLUE JASMINE. Then I would have gone to see that one. :D )

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Third viewing last night, first at home.God damn, what a beautiful experience! It's been years since I found a movie that moved me like this and I have no doubt that it'll be years before something else does. I was watching some of the making of featurettes, and I was really impressed with the innovations that went into bringing this to life. Really, really impressive.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Third?? Don't be such a lightweight Sean. ;) I think I've seen it at least 15 times now. And it hasn't lost an ounce of its power. Every once in a while a film comes along and does this to me. The last one was Titanic in 1997 and Dances With Wolves in 1990 before that. Just can't get enough of it. And the extras on the blu are excellent, making the film even more extraordinary considering how difficult it was to make.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Ha, yeah. It's weird, but I sometimes try to stay conservative with the number of views of things I really love out of concern that I'll get "desensitized" to it then and they'll lose that emotional impact that makes them special to me. But yeah, I think I need to just get over that. Yes, the difficulty level in what Cuaron had to do to bring this to the screen is insane. I was so taken with the story and experience itself when it was in the theaters that I hadn't dwelled too much on how they actually did it.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I missed this movie when it played theaters so I caught it on cable tonight for the first time. I have a question about it, followed by a comment.

I found a lot of the spinning around of the characters and the constant moving of the camera to be disorienting and discomforting. Luckily I was watching on a 32-inch screen and not in a 3-D IMAX theater where I probably would have gotten dizzy or nauseous. Did anyone who saw this theatrically have that kind of reaction?

I found the constant escalation of perils befalling this poor woman to be a tad on the melodramatic side, as well as highly implausible. What was the point of it all? Technically, it’s quite a marvel, but the level of the script was that of a 1970s ABC Disaster Movie of the Week. I need some reason to care and the concept of “Movie Stars in Space” just isn’t enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks