Gravity

Discussion in 'Movies' started by spshultz, May 10, 2013.

1. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    ^^This.
    Thanks Sean, you typed the words right out of my keyboard much better than I could ever hope to.
    (and your post made me google that quote, just shows I'm obviously not a Trekkie ;))

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I get the reference but, huh?

3. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    In terms of science and physics, Gravity got a lot right and a lot wrong, too. Many of the satellites and spacecraft depicted in the movie are in different orbits, and going from one orbit to another requires a huge change in velocity; you can't just float from one to another. For that matter, neither the MMU nor a fire extinguisher could propel an astronaut anywhere near like depicted in the movie.

Most of these flaws I could overlook. A handful I cannot. We discussed this several pages back, but for me, the worst scene by far is
    the one in which George Clooney's character dies. Sandra Bullock's character grabs him as he floats by, but then he continues to be pulled by some mysterious force. This isn't some esoteric physical phenomenon, this is basic zero-gravity physics that doesn't even make sense at first blush. It's not that I was merely bothered by a scientific inaccuracy, it's that I couldn't even make sense of what was happening on screen, and so I couldn't understand why the George Clooney character had to die. Since this is supposed to be one of the most dramatic moments of the film, it's pretty much a dealbreaker in my mind.

I'm sure it's possible for some people to ignore these innaccuracies and enjoy the movie for its drama and suspense, both of which it delivered in spades. But when I hear people talking about a movie being the best in decades, I expect a film where one doesn't have to overlook obvious flaws in basic science to enjoy it. I understand why people enjoyed the film, but the prospect of it being considered one of the best pictures of the year utterly eludes me.

Walter Kittel likes this.
  4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I can't disagree with that George Clooney part but as a whole it was one of the best movies I've seen in years.

5. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Are you sure about that? They also did that with a fire extinguisher in Wall-E.

Aaron Silverman likes this.
  6. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I'm sure it would impart *some* change in velocity, but you couldn't use it to zip around quickly like they do in Gravity or Wall-E. Wall-E was a cartoon with a fantastical setting and so I thought the scene worked there. Gravity is supposed to take place in the real world and so physical errors like that stood out more.

The MMU is a real device that astronauts can use to move around but its maneuvering abilities were highly exaggerated in Gravity. Still, there's at least a basis in fact there.

7. lisette_marie

I am glad you all enjoyed it so much and i can understand what you write I am just not experiencing it like that And as there is freedom of opinions I think that is ok too. Ok its not realistic, ok its not totaly fiction and its something In between and yes she has to proces heavy drama in her life and she gets the willTo return to earth and live again also outside her work ... For me i enjoyed more Avatar cause it was totaly fiction and gave me amazing detailed things to look at also Like gravity...

8. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    There was a lot of nonsense with the physics in this movie, and the part that cafink spoiler-tagged was nearly enough to pull me out of the story -- nearly. But I just said "ah, the hell with it" since it was so well paced. I just moved on with the flow and enjoyed the action.

I do wish that they'd come up with a better way to handle that particular extremely pivotal scene, though.

And I am pretty sure that there was no explanation given for why the Chinese station was falling out of orbit. It was left as an exercise for the viewer. :)

cafink likes this.
  9. lisette_marie

The fire ext , the distances , all the times she almost but not missed where she had to grab on to survive, The fact she didnt got totaly blown away at the beginning when all the pieces hit, clooney that miraculessly found her when she Was Driven from it by the blast, the fact she was tanggled and could get out and released the cord that easy, the never having flown it and reading a manuel made it possible , the surviving , not burning up and landing by coincidence in the sea Sorry in my mind its too much unrealistic ...

10. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Cafink, that scene drives me crazy because it is the one flaw that I admit is a MAJOR one, but still, I was able to overlook it because in the grand scheme of things, it was a minor hiccup in an overwhelmingly tremendous experience. And yeah, it's the best film I've seen in over 20 years. It did not elude me! :)

cafink likes this.
  11. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    And of course no film is universally loved. I mean there are people that hate Jaws, The Godfather, Casablanca..etc.. Gravity is no different. The best reviewed film of 2013 means little if it didn't work for you.

cafink likes this.
  12. Freddie Z

Freddie Z Stunt Coordinator

Freddie Zaragoza
  13. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    It wasn't really meant to be looked at too deeply. The focus of some critics on technical accuracy while seemingly looking past the emotional core of the film reminded me of something a Vulcan might do. That's about as deep as the reference was meant to go.

14. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    I got it Sean. ;)

15. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
  16. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Ha. There would virtually be no film at all if the above didn't happen. ;)

17. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    It's been playing in 3D at the Muvico in downtown West Palm Beach since it opened, I think. There's a LieMAX screen there; I wonder if they'll put it back on that.

18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    My Dickenson IMAX shows Gravity staring Friday, but no mention of 3D. This is the worst managed theater in Little Rock so it wouldn't surprise me if there really isn't any 3D.

19. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I liked the film, but it is not nearly in that class.

Walter Kittel likes this.
  20. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    To me it is. :)And I just found out it will be playing in IMAX 3D in my area again Friday. :thumbsup: