What's new

Gravity (2013) (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Considering that I don't live anywhere close to a "Real IMAX", the local liemax is perfectly fine for me.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Although there is a Real IMAX theater relatively close to me I find myself going to the AMC IMAX since there are matinee prices and it's just more convenient.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Tino said:
I'm sure chuck meant one person. And not necessarily due to the film. I hope.
I was thinking the same thing while reading these reviews. As I have had more than one Heart Attack, I get very involved watching a film. I will still see it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
A movie made for the big screen and the visuals alone make it a worthy cinematic experience. The rest is window dressing.

It is also a one trick pony and, for me, there is no desire to see it again. Definitely not outside of a theater.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Tino said:
Speaking of Gravity and Oscars here is my prediction/wish list for its nominations:Best Picture Best DirectorBest ActressBest EditingBest Musical ScoreBest CinematographyBest Visual EffectsBest SoundBest Sound EditingBest Art DirectionBest ScreenplayBest Supporting Actor
Well, today is the big day for Gravity with the Oscar nomination being announced soon. I'm sticking with my predictions above except for supporting actor. So I say 11 Academy Award nominations. I hope it wins every one. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Correction. I don't think it will get a screenplay nod so I'll say 10 nominations.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Woo Hoo 10 for 10. Tied with American Hustle for most nominations. I think it will clean up with the technical awards and Best Director. It's gonna be tough to win Best Picture. 12 Years A Slave and American Hustle will give it a run.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Current worldwide box-office totals: Total Lifetime GrossesDomestic: $256,352,541 38.0%+ Foreign: $418,800,000 62.0%= Worldwide: $675,152,541

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Tino said:
Well, today is the big day for Gravity with the Oscar nomination being announced soon. I'm sticking with my predictions above except for supporting actor. So I say 11 Academy Award nominations. I hope it wins every one. :)
Well, as long as Sandra Bullock gets her well-deserved award, I'm happy. That was one hell of a performance, in a film that didn't have that many actors, and almost no actor interaction, talk about a one-woman-show.

Bobby Henderson

Stunt Coordinator
I think Gravity will win a bunch of awards in the technical categories. I'll be disappointed if the Best Sound and Best Sound Editing Oscars go to any other movies. The sound and mix on Gravity was very well done, particularly its use of the Dolby Atmos surround format. The movie, experienced in Atmos, set a new "high water mark" in terms of surround layering and panning activity. Even the music score was spread out to make creative use of the surround environment. The sound mix for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is the only show that could honestly give Gravity any competition in the sound awards categories (another pretty decent Atmos mix).

Gravity may have a more difficult time in the top awards categories (Best Actress, Best Director, Best Picture). It will be fairly easy to tell how the movie will do through the results of the Screen Actors Guild awards, Directors Guild Award and Producers Guild Award. More often than not those awards will telegraph the winners in the acting, directing and picture categories.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I wonder how many of the voters managed to experience all the nominees in their best audio light (so to speak). Do the studios arrange for Academy screenings in Atmos-equipped theaters?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well considering it made over $250 million domestically, you would hope many members saw it in a great theater. So much will be lost on home video, no matter how awesome your home theater is.Catching this again tomorrow in ETX Dolby ATMOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks