What's new

"Grand Prix On DVD" Petition UPDATE: DVD Release on 7-11-06 (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Does any one know if Frankenheimer recorded a commentary for this DVD before he died?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As far I know, he never recorded any commentaries for Grand Prix. The MGM WS laserdisc didn't have one.

On his commentaries for his film, "Seconds" he talks about camera mountings that were used in Grand Prix were used for the kind of camera effects on the cars he wanted for "Seconds". I think he may or may not have commented about Grand Prix during the car chase sequence on the "Ronin" commentary.

This may be the best there is.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
Speedvision played the movie and during the breaks had some great moments from Frankenheimer about the making of the movie.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
DVD Times has the art and the full run-down here:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Grand Prix (40th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition) for 11th July 2006 priced at $20.97 SRP. John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate, Birdman of Alcatraz, Ronin) directs a superb international cast in this epic saga of four Formula 1 race car drivers gunning for glory on tracks around the world. Filled with high-octane excitement and authenticity, the film won three Academy Awards® -- for Editing, Sound and Sound Effects. The Special Edition boasts four never-before-seen featurettes, the archival documentary Grand Prix: Challenge of the Champions (taking viewers behind-the-scenes of ‘60s racing), a new digital transfer from restored 65mm elements and a remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.

Disc One
New Digital Transfer from Restored 65mm Elements with a Soundtrack Remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
Theatrical Trailer

Disc Two
Four new never-before-seen documentaries:
Pushing the Limit: The Making of Grand Prix - 40th Anniversary Making-of documentary
Flat Out: Formula One in the Sixties- A history of Formula One racing in the sixties
The Style and Sound of Speed – A look at the style of Saul Bass and the film’s sound design
Brands Hatch: Behind the Checkered Flag - Behind the scenes tour of the famous raceway used in the movie
Grand Prix: Challenge of the Champions – 1960’s Featurette behind-the-scenes at the Grand Prix
Speed Channel Promo

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Another case of a movie I was unsure of and theme that didn't sound too appealing, which I've been sold on due to Warners fantastic packaging!

I'm actually really looking forward to this now... Is this typical 70's b-grade Cormanesque race movie?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Absolutely not! This is a serious, almost documentary look at Formula 1 racing. Unfortunately the story that holds it together is cliched and rather tedious. I'm quite surprised at the enthusiasm expressed for the film because if you're not interested in motor racing it doesn't hold much for the average viewer. It looked great in Cinerama though.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Oh, well I guess I'm less enthused now since I really have no interest in F1 racing. :)

I enjoyed the remake of The Killers with Lee Marvin (kind of a racing theme) and I like Death Race and all those Dennis Hoffman biker movies. I guess I was sort of expecting a mix of those elements.

But I am a huge fan of 70's filmmaking anyway. The cover art just sort of instilled a certain aesthetic.

I'll give it a shot anyway. At worst, it'll look nice on my overcrowded DVD shelf!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Marco-

Grand Prix debuted in 1966. It's high points are the coverage of actual Formula 1 races throughout Europe. The racing footage is pretty amazing, particularly the last race at Monza of the season and the climax of the film. Sure the story is cliched, some call it soap opera-ish. But the actors do their job very well. I particualrly enjoyed the sequence where James Garner is driving Jessica Walter in his 1966 Shelby Mustang. Cool look at that car when it was new.

I'm looking forward to it!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to replacing my LD of this film. I want it because of Frankenheimer's directing & Garner. I think the racing sequences are darn good. Too bad WB didn't get Frankenheimer to do a commentary for this film before he died.. I VERY much enjoy listening to his commentaries. I prefer this filmover "Le Mans".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks