What's new

Grammar/Vocabulary ??? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You guys are all too funny. :D This has been a fun read.

And that's what I don't get...since there's really nothing wrong with it. I have lots of misused words that send up red flags for me...like when someone uses the word "over" to mean "more than"...but that's only because I am particular about how I use words and don't understand when others are not as cautious. It's a big part of my profession.

I guess that equates with how some of the other fellas have been taking you to task for not using proper capitalization in your posts. They see capitalization as an important behavior within the community.

I commend you for being able to deal with the comments with an appropriate amount of perspective.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

The lack of capitalization bugs me too.

Something that I have always liked about the HTF is the fact that, generally, members who post here make an effort to use proper grammer, spelling, and punctuation when they post. It is something that is all to rare on the internet, and it makes the HTF a refreshing place to be.

It's all too common to visit a forum and see the "short hand" typing and other unconventional grammar that has arisen from the increase in email, internet use, and texting. As Dave said, whether it's true or not, it gives the impression that the poster is either uneducated or a kid.

But fortunately, for the most part, we don't have to deal with that here at the HTF.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Though I'm pretty good at apostrophicationalizing, I do tend to engage in suffix abusementicity. It gives me the freedom to transverbicate any word, and to emphaticologically adjustify the conveymentricality of my pointographicness.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave

In my life's experiences, the only ones outside of posting, that don't captialise are young children or poorly educated people. So when I see no capitalization, that is my impression. I know it is stereotypical, but it is my reaction. I GUESS IT IS KIND OF LIKE USING ALL CAPTIALS IS CONSIDERED YELLING.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Speaking of stereotypical reaction, now I'm starting to think you're British, Dave. :D Not that there's anything wrong with that.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Mike, I think there's a difference between someone who makes mistakes out of ignorance, and someone who does so by choice. If Diallo truly were unaware of the rules regarding capitalization, he would probably get no guff from any of us (though I think we'd all be pretty amazed). He considers punctuation important, but attributes his disuse of capitals to his experience as a coder (almost as if writing code renders one with a capital disability), indicating, as Jeff said, that it is a manufactured affectation. It's by choice that he doesn't use capitals, and he can just as easily choose to use them, despite the volumes of code he has written.

But I'm just here for the laughentrification's.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Brian: I don't think I said anything to the contrary. All I said was that the people taking aim at Diallo thought that capitalization is a convention which is important to the HTF community. For what it's worth, I agree.

Between this thread and the other one I linked-to above, I am always heartened that so many members of the HTF (a clear majority, in fact) place a great importance on grammar and punctuation.

I have visited many other forums on which the sky's the limit for expression.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
the lowercase thing doesn't bother me, but not knowing the difference between there, their and they're does. go figure. and all that "zomg" crap. and starting sentences with "and." i do have a tendency to be overly comma-tose though.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I was merely pointing out why that is the case in this particular instance, at least for me.

NEXT TIME I'LL TYPE LIKE THIS SO YOU GET MY POINT. ;)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for pointing out the misspelling CJ. ;) I should know better than to submit a post about spelling without proofreading it first.

Of course, I specifically said "members who post here make an effort to use proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation when they post." The point being that although none of us are infallible, we do make an effort at the HTF to steer clear of "leek speak" and intentionally unconventional grammar.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
If wE cOulD oNlY geT thE iNteRneT to DisCoNTinuE tHe UsE oF "WouLd oF" iN pLaCe oF "wOuLD'vE" tHeN wE'd aLl SleEp mUcH sOUndeR.

BrAd

*This post may contain excessive capitalization. There was a surplus of uppercase letters at the factory due to their lack of use in all of Diallo's posts, so I got a great deal by agreeing to use them.

Diallo B

Screenwriter

its just the internet. i would include a witty .jpeg but on this forum it wouldn't quite jibe.

troy evans

Screenwriter
You guys are making me feel like I'm back in school. Where to put the capital letter in a word? First, midDle or enD. I've always felt if it's understandable, then it's grammarically correct:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks