What's new

Gotham - season 1 (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I would agree with Adam that the warehouse sequence really felt like an iconic Batman "scene". I think the show is going to be kind of 'busy' if they visit all of the characters each episode, but it worked for me last night so I'll give the show's creative team the benefit of the doubt on that score. I'm not certain where the show is going with its depiction of Alfred, but once again - benefit of the doubt.

I have a few more shows that I'm going to try this season, but for now this is easily the best new series that I'm viewing. I'm really enjoying the one-two lineup of Gotham and Sleepy Hollow on Monday evenings.

- Walter.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think they need less Bruce scenes, let Gordon firmly establish himself without that anchor around his neck.

But I'm liking it so far.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like how the writers used the murder of the Waynes to set both Bruce and Gordon on their journeys. Bruce's, of course, we all know, and it seems Gordon - who promised to find the killer - will find that it is the entire corrupt political system in Gotham that is ultimately to blame, and will make it his life's mission to correct that.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Good episode, but boy! Gotham is so rotten and corrupt that it's almost depressing to spend any time there!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Don't know if I'll stay with this much longer just too dark for me. I do like that Bruce is taking an interest in the politics/crime of Gotham. I can see him starting to develop his detective skills in the near future.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Matt Hough said:
Good episode, but boy! Gotham is so rotten and corrupt that it's almost depressing to spend any time there!
It reminds me of a darker version of Starling City on Arrow, actually. At least in Starling, though, there is a group of good people wanting to do right. In Gotham...well...it feels like Gordon vs. the world.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think the show has the right tone, and I suspect it will get grimmer as the seasons go on, making the appearance of Batman the city's saving grace.Interesting that Essen previously had a relationship with Barbara, since in Year One (if I recall) it was her relationship with Gordon that was the undoing of Jim and Barbara's marriage.Last night's show was three in a row of excellent episodes.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I'm starting to like the show more with each episode but mostly because of the cast and their characters. The stand outs are Ben McKenzie, Donal Logue, David Mazouz and Sean Pertwee. I think they're throwing in too many future Villains way too soon and the stories seem just okay so far. I don't feel like I would want to re-watch these episodes but that could change farther down the road. I almost gave up after the first episode. I'm going to try and stick with the show, as long as I remember it's on.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
When the Penguin got a lift after getting out of the river and went a little crazy, I went all-in on this show. Sold. I love seeing the characters from the comics come to life.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Finally caught up on the last two episodes. I'm really digging most of the show. They calmed down in having to show every character every week and seem to have found their formula and voice very quickly. The acting is solid as are production values.

I'd agree this show is dark and grim...but that's the point, isn't it? One man (Gordon) fighting a seemingly unwinnable fight against crime, corruption, distrust and a bleak city. He is going to have to get some "wins" as the season progresses. This one man can not save the entire city and be a surrogate father figure to Bruce. No man can have all the weight on him all the time. He's also going to need some allies - I'm not counting Barbara since I get the feeling she can betray him at the drop of a hat.

This is going to sound silly but the one thing that really irritates me is the logo/main title blatantly ripping off Arrow. They couldn't have done ANYTHING else?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think what the show's done an exceptionally good job at is laying the seeds for the Penguin's ascent in Gotham. And unlike so many portrayals of the character, he's really threatening here -- moreso because he's not the kind of threat you necessarily see coming.And tonight's episode in particular paid attention to the sort of thing a Batman prequel series should pay attention to: exploring the conditions that would lead to a Gotham City that needs a Batman. Falling into the "Smallville" trap of having Gordon fighting Batman's rogues gallery before Batman would be a mistake. but the Falcone/Maroni gang war is really fertile storytelling ground. And the shot of the gate outside Arkham Asylum gave me chills.I also like that Bruce is beginning to be portrayed with the kind of mind that Batman requires. We're seeing him begin to develop the detective skills that are just as important to Batman as the martial arts skills, but which are too often neglected in the character's live action portrayals. It's David Mazouz's credit that I believe this twelve-year-old boy is taking all of this in and making his own deductions about it.One missed opportunity: Seeing the office floor with the rows of desks with typewriters in the typing pool kind of makes me wish they'd fully committed to the retro feel, and just left cellphones and computers out of the equation all together.I'm also enjoying Graeme Revell's incidental music for the show. It gives me "Batman: The Animated Series" flashbacks from time to time -- in a good way.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thoroughly enjoyed this episode, and the Penguin was a primary reason why. He is insidious in his planning and execution, and it's entertaining seeing someone "triumph" who seems relatively harmless and helpless. The episode also flew by.

I was not enjoying Barbara and though I don't think for a moment this is the last we've seen of her, I wish it were.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the shows that will get me to fire up the Front Projector on a week night. For my money, one of the best looking shows currently airing. I really love the visual design of the series from the lighting, perspectives, framing, etc., etc.

The establishing shot of Arkham Asylum (at night) was just outstanding and filled with promise. As the van pulls through the gate you hear the sounds of crows cawing followed by the screeching of bats. A super nice detail that adds so much to the atmosphere. I'm guessing that the spiked weapon was an homage to the spiked binoculars from the film Horrors of the Black Museum which starred Michael Gough, who played Alfred in Burton's Batman feature films.

Another excellent episode from one of 2014's best new shows. Rapidly becoming a favorite of mine.

- Walter.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Liked tonight's episode and enjoyed the Penguin story line the most. Wasn't surprised by the outcome of the restaurant robber :) .Robin Lord Taylor's performance is really starting to grow on me. The Fish Mooney scenes are the weakest part of the show, just isn't doing anything for me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was intrigued by the possibility of tying the Wayne murders into the conflict over the Arkham deal. That would be the first indication that they weren't random killings, which is, I believe, what the Batman origin stated all those years ago.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I also like the production design, as well as the use of "ambient" sunlight to light the interiors of the GCPD offices.

I'm surprised Fish didn't have those 2 female singers do a sing-off battle, oh wait, that was "The Voice"...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Was one of those singers the future Harley Quinn? No idea if that's right, just something that occurred to me when watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks