What's new

Got Theater,,,Need Movie !! (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
The Titanic special edition that I watched last night for the first time all the way thru is stunning both in sound and vision and I highly recommend it. Better in my mind to the excerpts of Ryan's Daughter, which I have seen and while fabulous, shows up the lack of definition in all those long shots which hopefully will be cured in HD.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Yup, I instinctively turn to the opening Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan and the lobby scene in The Matrix when demoing surround effects to others. The Haunting is an excellent test to make sure all the nails are hammered in in your new HT. For a full length movie experience to flex it all, can't argue with LOTR.

Doug

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Star Wars films as of yet, in particular, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith for overall audio and video quality.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I'm unfamiliar with your equipment. Is there a sub listed in there? If not, some of the best parts of these recommendations may be lost. If I had to choose just one, The Incredibles.

I made up a demo dvd with scenes from a few different movies, that looked and sounded good:
LOTR
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo
Sin City
Batman Begins
The Matrix
Underworld

Also, haven't added it to the demo yet, but the opening space scene and landing in Serenity is pretty imposing on your sub. I liked the opening battle in SW, Ep 3. Fight Club has good bass and a lot of active use of the surrounds.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
And for a change of pace, try these concert DVDs in all their widescreen, 5.1 glory:

R.E.M. - Perfect Square
Eagles - Farwell 1 Tour

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Space Shuttle scenes from DVD Essentials always blow me away, but for movies I would pick The Fifth Element, Incredibles, and something really dark, like Doom or Underworld to see how well your contrast holds up.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Maybe it's because I have young kids or it might be that I am a big kid myself but I find all the new cartoons to be pretty good test material. Great sound and beautiful visuals.

Excuse me for one moment I need to hi-jack this thread.:D

How do you do that? I would love to have a demo dvd of my favorite scenes. I am not as advanced as a lot of other guys on this forum so can someone explain it s l o w l y.

Done hi-jacking, Thank you. ;)

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. The ethics are questionable and shouldn't be discussed. If it's a problem, will a mod pm me and I'll delete it? Or delete the reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks