What's new

Got my X1, what are you using for screen?? (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
JohnS, perhaps when your screen arrives, you can project your image so that half is on the white wall and the other half is on the gray screen. Please report the results you see.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Neil,

Yah. I can do that.
I'm testing it out on my plain white wall tomorrow.

The sceen comes Tuesday afternoon.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I am using a DIY stretched frame screen @ 92 x 59 for my X-1.I got material from EZtheater.com over on the AVS forum.
The claim is 1.1 gain and is a nice matte white. He is selling it in 54 inch wide and 110 inch widths.

I couldn't be happier with the results.

http://www.eztheater.com/products.htm

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dennis:

So how much did you end up paying for this material. Did you have it already stetched and mounted or did you do this yourself?

Parker

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Parker,

I bought mine from them on an Ebay auction for $60 for a 9' x 9' size. I did this to avoid seams on my finished 92" x 59" frame, I made the frame myself from 1" by 2" stiock. Stretching and stapling over the outside of this frame made for an easy and light unit that just hangs great.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dennis:

Did you put a black border around it? If not I can highly recommend that you do so. The frame that I made for my older CRT projector had the black border frame around it and that made all the difference in the world.

Parker

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Parker,

I am working on a remote control masking system using black velvet cloth raising from the bottom and dropping from the top remote controlled by drapery closures. I will take pictures for posting on the forum when all is working.

I am really enjoying each improvement that I have made.

Dennis

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dennis:

You are going to have to post pictures of your screen with some screen shots when you get done.

Could you do me a favor and see how transparent the screen is to audio with putting your center channel speaker behind the screen material and noticing if there is a drop off or not?

Parker

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
For those of you still intresrted in DIY, here's a site I bookmarked months ago on a recommendation from AVS Forum.

How to stretch an Artists' Canvas

I actually followed this method using white blackout fabric and made a very functional screen for ~$20. This is just a temp solution for me however ... but I have a suspicion the cheap blackout cloth has teh added unexpected benefit of diminishing rainbows.

Ultimately, I want to buy an acoustically transparent white or gray ceiling mounted, pulldown screen, since I really need to keep my center speaker behind the screen.

Appreciate all the comments so far in this thread.

Scott

Fred Seger

Stunt Coordinator
I used matt white painted screen for a month or two and then I got a dalite HCCV screen 54"x92". It improved the black level on my X1 (which was already better than the XGA LCD it replaced). The DIY screen I used with the LCD just dimmed the picture to much. The HCCV kept the picture brighter than my old gray screen because of it's higher gain. I got it with velcro back and 2" black border. Cost was about $250-300. This is just for the material and I contructed the frame my self.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Just a reminder that a silver-gray based screen is also an option to the gray screen if you decide to go DIY. It will yield a higher gain if that is a concern.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Neil, I have thought about a silver-gray screen, but I read that hotspotting is a major issue? Do you know of any ways that can eliminate it?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
for interesting reading.I don't get any hotspotting on my screen but instead, a nice even dispersement from corner to corner. Also, the viewing angle is plenty wide and I measured 35-40 degrees before I hit the side wall. I don't want to sidetrack this thread but for more info check this thread... DIY fixed screen - My quest has ended

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
JakeCo

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. i am in the middle of moving which is a big pain but the payoff in having a dedicated theater is worth it :)

Anyway, I am using the digital gray goo paint. Before I moved in I wanted to make a decision on screen and color so I set up the X1 and tried my old white screen... it worked but was very harsh, a property of most digital PJ's. I then tacked up a big piece of speaker cloth with a gray back and the image improved but seemed slightly washed out. I think the gray was too dark.

My last attempt was with the Goo and it cleared everything up and with a little adjustment the rainbows vanished... OK they didn't completely vanish but 99% of them did. I have to look away from the screen while there is a lot of action going on to see them now.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just finished my screen yesterday. Constructed with 1x3's from Home Depot and blackout cloth from Jo-Ann's fabric. I painted it with Lowe's Valspar Gray Plank Interior Flat (code: 101-21.5, 107-1, 116-1). Black levels increased and rainbows were significantly reduced. Total Cost, just under $36.

1x3's = $9.00
Cloth = $19.00
Paint = $7.75

This was pretty much a test screen. I'll use if for awhile and when the room is all re-assembled I'll build a slightly bigger and much nicer screen.

Peace Out~:D

Bobby_K

Grip
Hello all, first post.

My X1 should be here Friday :D I've got a Da-Lite model B 84x84 and the X1 will sit about 12 feet back.

This is my first PJ. All the positive talk about the Goo paint has me thinking, is painting a retractable screen completely out of the question? Im certian most grade paints would ruin my screen, but what about something with a rubbery quality that could deal with the stress of being rolled up? any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks