What's new

Got my box (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm curious about the lack of DD output in the setup menu. Any mention of it in the manual? The system's supposed to have real-time DD encoding.
Mike

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The system's supposed to have real-time DD encoding.
Hell yeah it's supposed to! It's one of the main reasons why I'm getting it and, the reason it's going to sit in my closet in a box for awhile: I'm NOT playing Halo or with my 'Box until my basement is re-finished and my H.T. is set back up.
Camp, you've mentioned the graphics of Halo and, you even mentioned that beach landing scenerio. (I saw the whole thing already on a demo movie) But, please tell me, how does the sound...sound, in Halo? I was really hoping that Halo would support 5.1 throughout. Does it?
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I don't yet have the HD pack (which is required for 5.1 because it has the optical audio out). I'll pick it up as soon as I see it though.
Halo is in DD though. It's clearly stated on the box. I don't know why there isn't an option for DD in the Xbox set-up. I guess the Xbox just knows which audio connections you're using???
I'm just as curious as you guys are.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The most important question still remains unanswered.
How was that new console smell?
------------------

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Xbox has a virtual light show thingie!!! It's a pretty good one too. No console since 3DO has done this quite right (well, JagCD had a great one but who has a JagCD?)
"raises his hand..."
crazy.gif

Well,it only cost me $30 a/Wally world...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Paul Cole

Agent
The Box does indeed auto detect your connections. After reading this thread, I ran into my studio to get my Dec Electronic Gaming Monthly issue. They mention the different connection choices ( composite, s-video, component) and how The Box auto detects which connection you made.
I was planning to blankly stare at the pictures but I may just spank out a batch instead.
Yes...there is something wrong with me.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
quote: How was that new console smell?[/quote]
It has that "new piece of electronics" smell. Those of you who have assembled PC's know that smell very well.
quote: i personally own one also......a jagCD that is.[/quote]
I want a toilet...er..JagCD too. One of these days I'll find one cheap.
quote: The Box does indeed auto detect your connections.[/quote]
Excellent. Perhaps Halo will offer resolution options once the HD pack is connected. That would be very nice.
Another interesting fact: my Xbox was made in Hungary rather than the Mexican factory we've heard so much about. The controller was made in Asia.
[Edited last by Camp on November 09, 2001 at 09:16 AM]

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.......maybe MS in an effort to get more units here in america has started taking European units away. Could this be a reason for the late European launch.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I can't wait to get my hands on one of these monsters! :drool:
Thanks for the nicely detailed write-up Camp.
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I love that braided green controller cord! If only it had green lights flashing through it, too.
wink.gif

-Dan B (USA)

------------------
Currently Playing:
http://www.motorcityonline.com/main.html

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
BrianB,
Is this some sort of sick joke? :)
You're links aren't working. Not sure what the deal is, but I'm at work (firewall city).
Troy
------------------
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Is this some sort of sick joke?
You're links aren't working. Not sure what the deal is, but I'm at work (firewall city).
Awww great. My server's playing up. Can't connect to the website or pull down my mail. Bah.
The pics are up there - they worked earlier. I'll go chase up my support.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Another interesting fact: my Xbox was made in Hungary rather than the Mexican factory we've heard so much about. The controller was made in Asia.

According to a short article in the Oct. NextGen, the Mexico plant is just for the Motherboard and final assembly of the box. Two plants in Hungary are manufacturing all the parts for the XBox to support the US launch and then will switch over in Q1 2002 to support the European launch.
------------------

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Thanks Camp for taking the pictures, and thanks Brian for hosting them! It's much appreciated.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks