What's new

Got a dvi cable but i need some help (1 Viewer)

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
Sup peeps....

i just got a dvi cable in the mail today for my comcast hdtv ready cable box.... the box dose have a dvi-d out put and my tv has the dvi input... the cable i bout is a dvi-d cable but when i hook it up and set the tv to dvi...i get sound but no picture. is there anything on the cable box i must set for it to out put throu the dvi or could it be something else?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
There are a variety of HDTV cable box's and you did not tell us what make/model yours is. And they seem to be going through a generation change to include DVI so likely there are few others with your same box that could advise you.

I'd suggest calling your local Comcast office and asking for technical support.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
PS: Many CATV HD decoders have a switch on the back to change the output from 720p to 1080i. Some HDTV's (Mitsibushi for one) wont accept 720 signals - they just show a black screen. Check the back of your box for a slider switch and go to 1080.

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Josh,

Most likely it's because Comcast hasn't enabled the DVI outputs yet. You'll notice that there are all sorts of outputs on the back of that box (ethernet, etc.) that won't become useful until they are activated. I'm pretty sure that the DVI is one of them.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
TEDE..... i think your right.... i have gone to the website of this cable box wich is a motorola DCT5100.... in the only user guide under trouble shooting for video it said that the dvi may not be enabled so use the component.... but id still rather use the dvi so i can keep my components open... how would one go about enableing the dvi?

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
Josh,

You'd have to ask Comcast when they plan on activating DVI. I believe I read some information that this would not be happening until they roll out the HD PVR boxes sometime late this year/early next. I'm assuming this is because the HD PVR will require the DVI outs to function with HDCP.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
would thay have to come out here and open up the box to enable the dvi or would thay replace the hole box? any ideas?

TedE

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it's just a matter of pushing a firmware upgrade to your box. This is done on a regular basis with the HD converters since they still seem to be a work in progress. There is an extensive thread over on avsforum.com discussing the various firmware upgrades to the 5100. I'm sure you could get a more detailed answer there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks