What's new

3D Gorilla At Large (1 Viewer)

moviebear1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Spero
Hi again Bob Since Dan worked on a New MASTER for Inferno. . . .did he also do a New MASTER for "Gorilla At Large" since that was the other 1950s Fox 3D movie? Oh and just curious if you know if there are elements for September Storm? Matt Spero

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
HI Matt, No, Dan did not work on GORILLA AT LARGE. SEPTEMBER STORM is still a mystery. The current owner has lots of elements but no inventory. I've tried to get in and inspect/evaluate their holdings but, so far, no success. I'm not giving up though! Bob

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, but will it be 3-D?

They do not have a 3-D master. We spoke about creating one a year or so ago - and doing the alignment/restoration - but nothing came of it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
3D or not, in my opinion GORILLA AT LARGE was about the lamest Film of its period that I ever saw, especially given its noteworthy cast!

I seem to recall my Brother & I picking up 3D Glasses from our local Pinto Variety (In hindsight, it seems a bit fantastic that they even had these!) in London, ON, that were specially made for a Special Count Scary presentation of GORILLA AT LARGE on the Lorraine/Cleveland Station, which was Channel 43 on our TV Dial back in 1983! What stands out in my mind was how incredibly lousy (Not even in a fun, campy way!) we both thought it was!

Several years back, I caught a bit of GORILLA AT LARGE online, and viewing even just a bit of it reminded me of its mind numbing lameness!

That said, I do hope a proper 3D version can be made for the sake of preservation, if nothing else!

CHEERS! :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
If you've only seen it in the inferior anaglyphic 3-D conversion created in the early 1980's, you haven't seen it in 3-D!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Gorilla at Large rocked, especially as a fan of Lee J Cobb, Raymond Burr and Lee Marvin. It's really just a murder mystery with an gorilla, but me and my viewing companion had fun with it.

The lack of 3-D would be a potential deal breaker personally and to others as well. And it's not like Fox made that many 3-D movies in the old days. Best for them to get what they can get so far as 3-D TV is still marketable.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I should add that it's beautifully photographed in 3-D, Technicolor AND it's in the Panoramic Productions widescreen aspect ratio of 1.66:1.

How can you miss?

Gorilla.jpg

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I just can't see the appeal to bring the film to Blu-ray without the 3D. The fact that it's not being thought of for release until 2016-17 means there's still time to do it right.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I do recall the 1980's anaglyphic 3D being incredibly underwhelming! The presentation was pretty much of the "What 3D?" variety!

Of course, the presentation I viewed on TV also wasn't widescreen!

In my opinion, issuing this on Blu-ray without the proper 3D treatment and Widescreen Aspect would just be beyond pointless! Let's hope that Fox gets this one right!

CHEERS! :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Those horrific anaglyphic conversions of vintage titles for TV in the 1980's did more harm to 3-D than any script or projectile hurled at the audience!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Bob Furmanek said:
Those horrific anaglyphic conversions of vintage titles for TV in the 1980's did more harm to 3-D than any script or projectile hurled at the audience!

I agree completely. After seeing some decent 3D movies in theaters (with some of the 1950s classics reissued to great effect), I felt these TV 3D botches did far more harm than good and helped kill 3D back then. (A lot of lousy movies did 3D no favors either.)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
If its Twilight Time releasing it, it has to be in 3D. Who is going to pay $29.99 for this title in 2D? You can buy it on DVD as part of a double feature for $6.89 on Amazon.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Back in the mid 1980's NY horror host John Zacherley hosted the film on WOR , channel 9. Zach did some funny bits with the assistance of "Mighty Joe Young Jr." Bob Fumenek mentioned in another thread that the those intermissions still exist and in 3D . It'd be nice if they could be included as a bonus , but I know that's not realistic .

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
My memory is a bit foggy on this, but I believe that this may have been the first 3D film I watched on TV as well. And it must have been a pretty underwhelming experience, or I'm sure that I would have it more firmly burnt into the gray matter.

However, I would definitely buy this on BD 3D if it was done correctly.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
First 3D movie I saw was on local channel 48 WKBS in May of 82, Revenge of the Creature. I wasn't terribly impressed. Two months later and Channel 9 in New York broadcast Gorilla At Large. I was only 11 at the time and living in Bridgeton, NJ, so I could see the showing. I remember thinking Goliath really was swinging out of the TV then. I don't know if my TV was tuned just right or my young eyes were playing tricks on me, but I loved it. I spent years trying to get hold of a copy of that broadcast and finally I managed to. It was less impressive when I did. :( That said, I've seen it in the movies in 3D and love it and would absolutely buy a 3D Blu Ray day one. For the record, I always enjoyed this movie. It's an enjoyable little B pic with some humorous dialogue ("Marriage isn't a crime but murder is. Though sometimes I think it should be the other way around.") and a terrific cast. Here's hoping Fox gives it to us the way they should!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Bob Furmanek said:
Yes, but will it be 3-D?

They do not have a 3-D master. We spoke about creating one a year or so ago - and doing the alignment/restoration - but nothing came of it.

I am curious, what would this entail, I am assuming that you would need to go back to the negative, and scan, but as you stated they do not have a 3D master, so what would happen next?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We would need to identify which side they have already scanned, create a scan of the opposing side and then do left/right panel matching in order to prepare an optimum (and flawless) 3-D master.

The bottom line: our track record speaks for itself and nobody can beat our price!

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
After listening to my mother talk about movies in 3D, seeing this on TV in the 80s was my first chance to experience a 3D theatrical film. I knew the image isolation was impaired but I was still grateful to get a taste of the past. As to "lameness", it's a 50s monster murder circus melodrama and should be enjoyed for the retro fun of it. There's not an overall abundance of dramatic sophistication among the 3D epics of that era. I'd love to see it properly presented today.

I enjoy it for two other reasons: The photographic documentation of the long-gone Nu-Pike amusement park where it was filmed. Also - Gorgeous Anne Bancroft in tights! - one of the most beautiful and talented actresses to grace the screen, although her husband Mel Brooks was known to tease her about her role in this picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks