What's new

Google TV takes on Apple TV and I'm still waiting..... (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

If you need to go to a pirate group to get software to allow you root level access to an 'open' machine to do anything 'interesting' with it then you arent getting any of the touted virtues of being open:

Witness:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/22/sony-google-tv-booted-into-recovery-mode-are-we-days-away-from/

Like I said before if you read the post, you don't HAVE to do any of this. Unlike other devices this one can be hacked IF you want to. No reason to consider it a positive or negative just as you can hack a WD TV, old Apple TV, Boxee, etc.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by DaveF I don't know where Google is going.

My best guess is they want to get more personal data, for more advertising revenue, by getting people to filter their TV and movie watching through GTV.

But it's not clear what means they're using. Is this a super-cheap HTPC that does some of this and some of that? Is it a dedicated experience, focused on web surfing? Is it a run at supplanting the Cable Box / DVR? Do they want to provide cheap computers with web access to those holdouts who haven't yet bought one, but for whom $299 is acceptable?

Check out some reviews to get a better idea. All of this comes down to what you want and like to do. People are different and the Google TV may not be for you but great for others.

I will be posting my review later this week since my Google TV arrived yesterday. So far, I can say it is NOT a dud as some people claim that don't own one. It also may not be the best choice for value but may have the most potential and content. Look for details later from me on all this.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Matt,

This Logitech Revue sounds like a complete dud.

EDIT:
Just found this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/logitech-revue-with-google-tv-torn-down-netbook-specs-found-wit/

Actually, that is more of a positive than a negative since many typical consumers either won't want to or don't have the skills to build their own HTPC device. The price for what you get may not be a good value, but the same can be said for all of Apple equipment too.

Look for my review later this week for details.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Jeffery_H
Check out some reviews to get a better idea. All of this comes down to what you want and like to do. People are different and the Google TV may not be for you but great for others.
What I mean to ask is: What's Google's gameplan? They don't make any money from GoogleTV software or hardware. So what's goal? How does GTV advance their interests?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, after having a few days to play with it, there are some functions which are very nice and well done. It doesn't quite overcome the issues that I have with it's basic functions, but it's feasible.

I think the biggest issue people will have is "bang for buck" It's $300.. I think Apple can sell the ATV cheaply in part because they get the revenue from iTunes sales, etc. to make selling a box at a low margin feasible. Logitech has no assurances like that from Google.

Some really nice features. But I'm not sure a device at the exact price point of the PS3 or XBOX360 stands out..

I'll put it through the paces and do a tear down later. (I'll wait until Jeffrey has his it seems very positive viewpoint up). I think it's going to be a matter of taste.
I've joked with others in the Books thread that I find "Speaker of the Dead" one of the best SciFi books of the last century; others hate it. I hate ET, and I know others who love that film. Oh well, a matter of taste Because maybe they are finding things here I am not.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by mattCR (Actually, I read the Ender's Game Quadrilogy for the first time this year, and really liked Speaker for the Dead. The final two of the series got a big bogged down in themselves, but still, great scifi.)

I think the biggest issue people will have is "bang for buck" It's $300.. I think Apple can sell the ATV cheaply in part because they get the revenue from iTunes sales, etc. to make selling a box at a low margin feasible. Logitech has no assurances like that from Google.
Obviously, I don't know nothin'...but conventional wisdom is that Apple never sells hardware at a loss and iTunes is not a huge moneymaker. I don't know how they do it, but I would first assume Apple makes some profit on even the $99 aTV.

GoogleTV's long-term success will be through integration in new hardware. And there, competition seems weak. The TV-maker "net" systems I've played with are terrible. GTV's Achilles heel may be its requirement for a qwerty keyboard remote.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Engadget has a review of GoogleTV for those that might be interested.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/29/google-tv-review/

-Keith

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Interesting. Out of the blue Logitech contacted

me. They want to send me a Revue to review on

this forum.

Hopefully I will have it within the week and give

you my impressions of it in early November.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
My review of Google TV is still coming, but it has turned into a lot more. While I had the chance, I thought I would get all 3 devices, Apple, Google and Roku, in for comparison and do a full shoot-out to see what they each offer. The only one missing is the Boxee Box, which was not available to me at this time. This full article is going to be in a local magazine publication for the holidays, but as (c) holder I am going to give access to it here as long as the legal (c) stays in place for reference.

At this time, I think many will be surprised as to which one wins. It was something I thought of but did not see when starting the comparisons. I should have it finished for sometime next week unless I get delayed.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Same here. I make no bones about my biases, but I'm always interested in experiences others have with a device. Definitely I'm interested in finding out how fast-moving video looks to you through yours, because some seem to say it's a glitch in only some units, so maybe I just got a lemon.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is getting more interesting by the minute....

So, Logitech is not only going to send me a
Revue to review, but they are also going to have

DISH NETWORK come and install a dish on my

roof and provide me with service and a DVR so
I can fully experience everything the unit has the

potential to do.

Way cool!

I'll keep you posted.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Shootout review of Apple TV, Google TV, and Roku:

http://www.macworld.com/article/155275/2010/11/tvsmackdown.html

Review of the Logitech Revue:

http://www.macworld.com/reviews/product/701960/review/revue.html

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm not complaining nor will it influence my review.

More than happy for them to provide me with dish

and DVR to do a proper assessment of how it

integrates with the Logitech Revue.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Since Dish is the only "cable" co that the Revue wholly integrates with, it's necessary for a reviewer to have Dish to fully do their job.

Is it appropriate for Dish install to be provided to the reviewer? Well, once a reviewer has decided against the Consumer Reports stance of "accept no free hardware; buy everything as a constumer would", it's no different from accepting the review hardware.

So I don't think it's an issue. It's unusual, I think, but it makes sense.

P.S.

I recently heard that at the launch of the original iPod, press kits included an iPod loaded with 50 CDs of music... And the 50 CDs, to avoid any licensing rights problems. It was done to make sure reviewers had the complete iPod experience. 50 CDs 5 yrs ago cost a lot more than a Dish install today.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Fox joins other networks in blocking GoogleTV..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/10/fox-com-joins-nbc-abc-and-cbs-by-blocking-google-tv/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks