What's new

Goodbye Comanche, we hardly knew you.. (1 Viewer)

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Part of the problem with the Commanche was the rapid development of unmanned aircraft. The Pentagon is finding that vehicles like the Predator can do the same job for less money without putting a pilot in harm's way.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think the F-35 (JSF) is supposed to replace a bunch of planes, not just the F-16, right? I thought the whole idea of the cost cutting measures of the F-35 (which isn't cheap to begin with) is that it was to become the one fighter/interceptor/tactical bomber for the AF/Marines/Navy. Which is why they wanted to go for the VTOL as the Marines needed that ability. I don't work on the JSF program but we do work on that here, as well as the F-22 Raptor.

Jay

Cary_H

Second Unit
What it all boils down to is money/funding. The days of the military using a host of different single-role aircraft to project power are over. The procurement/development costs can't be justified. In the '50s and '60s there were big numbers of aerospace firms competing for military contracts. Today, there's just a handful. Some went under, others formed partnerships through mergers and buyouts in order to survive. It had literally become a death sentence for a firm if their entry in a procurement competition didn't come out on top.
Today the procurement process has been modified and streamlined to minimize waste. It isn't in the public's nor military's interest to put their suppliers out of business, but costs were escalating out of control.
The JSF competition and the Navy's Seawolf program are rapid departures from the ways of the past.
The Royal Navy is in on the JSF deal following the lead set some time ago by Euro nations pooling their development/procuremment efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.