Good transfers of Bruce Lee movies?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Alex Prosak, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Does anyone know if there are any good transfers available of Bruce Lee movies, other than Enter the Dragon (I have the 20th Anniv. Edition)? I have the others on VHS and their quality is terrible. I was hoping there might be good transfers available on DVD.

Thanks!

2. James_M

James_M Stunt Coordinator

A UK company called Hong Kong Legends releases Bruce Lee movies retouched and remastered and full of extras. It should have the best picture. Unfortunately for people in the US, the DVDs are only in R2 PAL. Another alternative are the releases from Asia, while their visuals aren't spectacular, it's probably better than VHS!

3. Skippy

Skippy Stunt Coordinator

What about the "Bruce Lee: The Master Collection" boxed set? I have that, and think the transfers are pretty good. I haven't watched them in a few years though, so if they're sub-par I may have forgotten.

4. Sam_K

Sam_K Stunt Coordinator

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Ive been watching Bruce Lees movies on VHS since the early days of the format and the non-anamorphic widescreen transfers are Godsend after watching those terrible VHS P&S versions for years and years.

Now those movies are available seperately and theyre only $9-14 so you should go out and get them.

6. Skippy

Skippy Stunt Coordinator

7. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Thanks guys, I think I may need to start looking for a multi region player. The VHS copies I have are from the Bruce Lee Collection, it was because of their awful quality that I never bought the DVD version of the Collection. It seems almost all the good MA movies are not available on Region 1.[​IMG] This hobby can be frustrating at times.[​IMG]

Thanks again for all your adivce. Now how to slip a second player past my wife...

8. James_M

James_M Stunt Coordinator

www.hkflix.com sells multiregion dvdplayers that can convert PAL into NTSC. The popular picks are the Malata 520 or the JVC xvs500. It actually isn't hard to find a lot of R0 martial art films on DVD. There are lots that you can buy direct from Hong Kong. Some great places to buy them are at www.dddhouse.com and www.dvdshelf.com. Most DVDs of old movies are pretty much extraless with average transfers but they mostly have the original language and are cheap. Hong Kong Legends is generally the best version when it comes to quality and extras though.

9. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

[​IMG] for HKL. I have quite a few of their releases, including all their Bruce Lee titles and most of the Jackie Chan titles.

10. Joe RZ

Joe RZ Stunt Coordinator

HKFLIX also sells region 0 Korean Bruce Lee titles.
    Anybody purchased any of these?
    How's the quality?

11. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

If you're planning to get a player that converts PAL to NTSC, don't get a Sampo. I got one of those and it is always freezing when playing back movies. (Although I don't think it has frozen playing back any PAL DVDs. But I'm sure those other players that people mentioned are better.)

There is a Japanese DVD called "Bruce Lee in G.O.D." that is pretty good. It has the scenes from Game of Death that Bruce Lee was actually involved in, but not the other stuff that they put into the movie after he died. During the rest of the movie, they have another actor play Bruce Lee, and it tells the story of how the movie was made and the story that Bruce Lee had in mind (which is a lot different from the story in the version of "Game of Death" that was made after Lee's death.) It also features interviews with some of the people involved in making "Game of Death".

Most of the dialog is in English, but some of it is in Chinese.

There were a lot of scenes that were filmed with Lee that were cut from the final version of "Game of Death". For example, there were two other guys that went into the pagoda with Bruce

The DVD also has some bloopers from the Lee footage as well.

12. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

A good explaination of what Bruce wanted Game of Death to be is on the DVD called Bruce Lee: A Warrior's Journey by Warner Bros. It contains 45 minutes of GOD footage and a documentary about it all. Highly entertaining and fun to own!

Matt

13. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

The Hong Kong Legends DVD of Game of Death has a 40 minute edit of the pagoda fight sequence in accordance with Bruce Lee's original script notes from 1972.