What's new

Good time/day of week to see movies? (1 Viewer)

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Is anyone aware of a time of day or day of the week that is child/teenager free? I went to see The Others for a second time hoping to be able to pay attention to some of the minute details. Boy was I wrong. I ended up with teenagers on either side of me(I am in my mid-thirties) and they were talking/laughing through the whole thing. Why do people go to movies if they have no intention of watching/paying attention to the movie? On one side of me were two teenage girls. One was describing the happenings scene by scene to her friend. If she had shut the hell up her friend wouldn't have needed the play by play. I don't know what the others were eating but it sounded like they were wrapping christmas presents. I kept telling them to be quiet and they looked at me like I was speaking ancient greek or something. Why do a lot of teenagers today(not all I realize) have no respect for other people when they are in public. I guess I will be looking for a theater that the kids do not frequent.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Thi is right -- here, friday nights, all day saturday, sunday matinees and cheap tuesday nights are the ones to avoid. I now do all my film viewing sunday and monday and have little if any problems. The nights to avoid also have the most projection problems (misframed, out of focus, lights still fully up)...at least the ones I've been to.
It also depends on what the theater is -- the "cooler" and more "hip" theater you get, the worse the audiences will be. The oogaplex Silvercity Tillicum has had bad audiences pretty much every night of the week that I've went there. At the other end of the spectrum, there have been some truly awful audiences at the local budget theater here, too.
Oddly enough, I've found that advance screening audiences to be the most well behaved capacity audiences I've come across. Every now and then you'll have a bad apple (this one guy walks in twenty minutes late to a screening of "Osmosis Jones" and stands at the entrance yelling "JENNY! WHERE ARE YOU JENNY!" (pause) "JENNY!" About three more "JENNY's" caused a "Just find a seat and sit down!" and a light applause), but the audience feels "invited" to a special advance screening and thusly keep quiet and watch the film.
Jason
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"Look, I'm Mrs. Hitler!" Rat Race
Film Critic, Link Removed

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
When I lived in the Dallas area, I would slip into the Grapevine Mills AMC 30 at around 2 pm on a Wednesday afternoon. Most of the time, I was the only customer in the whole building!
Avoiding teenagers is simple, just go to the theater while they are still in school.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Eh...actually, I skipped school to go to the movies...
There is no cure for me!
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I skipped school to go to the movies...
Man after my own heart. :)
Ah, the memories.....
"Oh teacher, I know we're supposed to head back to school after the field trip, but I have to go visit my chiropractor who is on Fort street"
"Ok Jase, see you later!"
*five minutes later, arrives at Odeon*
"Hi, one for The Lost World, please!"
laugh.gif

------------------
Link Removed
"Look, I'm Mrs. Hitler!" Rat Race
Film Critic, Link Removed

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Eh...actually, I skipped school to go to the movies...
And that'll be me whenever I get a car. :)
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
No it doesn't, and it's not just kids.
The Silvercity Tillicum (aka the Ooogaplex of the Googaplex) gets bad audiences left, right and center. Almost EVERY film I have seen there, there's been some chowderheads in the audience ruining the film for me.
And how much does it cost to get in at nights? $12.75!
eek.gif

Jay Man
------------------
Link Removed
"After about five minutes of this movie, you're going to wish you had ten beers." Ghost World
My Own Film Review Website Coming Soon!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
"Why do a lot of teenagers today have no respect for other people when they are in public?" - Adam, speaking to Eve around the time Cain & Abel were teenagers.
:)
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks