What's new

Good Television? Good Deal? (1 Viewer)

NicholasP

Auditioning
I was at costco the other day and they had a true-flat 36" tube rca hdtv monitor (silver) for 1199

i couldn't find the model number, so i can't tell u that

i just know it was

36"
tube, not projection
flat tube/screen
hdtv monitor
1080 resolution
silver

any info on this? is it a good tv? that seems like a nice price...any other televisions i should look at instead in this price range, or near this price range?

thanks,
Nicholas

Tomas.M

Auditioning
Hi Nicholas--

I saw the same set. It's model number d36tf30 and specs can be found on the RCA website. You can even dowload the manual. The specs look good, but the set I saw was running garbage and of course looked like garbage. How was the picture on the one you saw? I have more information on this set from a satisfied owner I communicated with when I was considering purchase. If you'd like I can email you that dialogue directly.

The one thing that bothered me and ultimately led me to a no buy decision is the RCA name. $1200 bucks is a lot to risk on potentially inferior equipment. RCA ranks near to last on reliability ratings in Consumers Guide. But I get the impression they put more quality in their HD sets. A lot of people like their RCA HD 38" widescreen tubes. But it too had a lot of problems initally. Later models seem to be holding up ok. It's my understanding that RCA customer service is horrid. I must say I saw one of the 38" tubes running an HD signal and the picture was stunning. Another thing to consider is you can always return it to Costco no questions asked...if you feel like lugging around a 200 pound TV! Hope this helps.

Tom

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I'd rather not spend my hard-earned cash on an RCA product (never had an RCA product that worked very well). Spend your cash on quality products by Sony, Toshiba, or Panasonic. In fact, you can get Sears to do an internet price-match for a 36" Sony WEGA if you desire (should bring the TV down closer to that price).

Tomas.M

Auditioning
I agree with Brian with one caveat. $1200 or so will buy you a quality STANDARD DEFINITION TV. The RCA is a 1080i HD ready set. Quite a buy for the cash. Factor in another $600-800 for the same specs in a Sony, Toshiba or Panny.

Tom

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
As a VERY unhappy owner of 2 early 90's 24" RCA TVs, I say stay faaaar away from them. Worts Tv's I have ever owned. I still own a Toshiba 19" from when I was 7 yrs old (23 yrs ago :-(, that works better then the 2 RCAs. For the money you are looking to spend, I would look into the Samsung 32" HDTV's. I have nothing but good things to say about mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks