What's new

Good speaker matches for Denon 3803 (1 Viewer)

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
This is a follow up to replies posted by Bobby T and Edward J M. Other than the inherent characteristics of different speakers, another significant variable appears to be what type of receiver they are connected to. I am waiting for delivery of my Denon 3803 and have been doing some research on speaker systems. Both Bobby T and Edward J M pointed out that certain types of speakers might work better with this particular receiver. Any additonal comments out there?

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Just doing a bit of a review of Rockets and Axiom, I found that Axiom impedence is 8 ohms while Rockets are 6. Given this receiver, will this make a difference in any sound comparisons?

Also, although the Axiom Epic 60 set up is close in price to the Rocket #3, the Rocket set does not include a sub. Unless I am missing something, this makes a comparable Rocket system a good amount more expensive.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
The most important part of picking speakers is listening and choosing the combination that sounds best to you. Now, with that said, generally speaking the sonic characteristics of some speakers and amps/receivers sound better together than others. Klipsch are horn loaded speakers and are often referred to as bright or forward. Denon receivers are refered to as neutral or warm. The pairing of these components results in a good sound. On the other hand, Yamaha receivers are considered bright or forward. If you were to mate a bright sounding speaker with a bright sounding amp the resulting sound can be harsh or hard to listen to but; There are still people who prefer the sound of Yamaha with Klipsch speakers. That is why personal preference is the most important factor, and component matching is second. I have a Denon 3802 and Klipsch Ref 3-II speakers that I love. While there are a lot of people who would agree with me about Klipsch and Denon there are just as many who don't like the sound of Klipsch and a substantial amount who would disagree with me about pairing Klipsch with Yamaha. I hope this helps.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Great post BobbyT...I couldn't agree with you more in your assesments. I used to have an Denon 3802 mated with Klipsch Ref 3's and I thought that it was a great match. I would say to find a speaker "signature" that you like and the rest will fall into place. :cool:

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I would say to find a speaker "signature" that you like and the rest will fall into place.
I agree completely. Normally I would advise someone to find the speakers with the sound that he/she likes the most and then get the best matched receiver/pre pro+amp combo to run them. Since Nick B already has a Denon receiver I suggested Klipsch since myself and many others find this to be a good combination.

Edit: Nick B, the kind of music you listen to could also affect what kind of speakers you like.

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for your thoughts. I had heard that Denon that Denons were considered "neutral", but it is nice to have that verified.

It is interesting to note that on the AV123 website (which is the online purchase center for Rocket speakers), they commonly put together receiver/speaker packages that incorporate Denon. As I understand it, Rockets are definitely on the "warm" or "layed back" side.

Unfortunatlely, I cannot do much listening before I buy. I live in New Hampshire, which is quite rural. In an attempt to compare Rockets with Axioms, I went to their respective websites to look for potential auditions with owners. In the entire State, only one for each was listed, and they were quite far away from me.

The only "bright" vs. "warm" comparison I have been able to do has been at the good old CC. I brought my own listening material and compared Polk to Infinity Alpha back to back. Polk was definitely brighter and IA was definitely warmer. Which did I like better? It depended!

Some tracks were unduly dull on the IA's, while others were overly bright on the Polks, as they compared to each other. I could go either way. Honestly.

Then add the receiver factor. Unless you do your comparisons on the identical receiver you use, other than very general parameters, what will the audition reveal?

Then add the room dynamics! I would be willing to bet that the room set-up will play a bigger factor than the inherent speaker characteristics of even the wide Rockets-Axiom spectrum.

Here is the pathetic part. Although I have never heard them, I am leaning toward Rockets. Just from what I have read and their value, given my budget of $2,000 for all speakers. And if I get them, the first time I will hear them will be with my receiver, in my family room. And I will love them because they will be the nicest speakers that have ever blessed my ears. The same would hold true of Axiom. Or Paradigm. Or Klipsch. I turst my ears will adapt to the environment.

So friends, Romans, countrymen...LEND ME YOUR EARS. And let me know what you think.

Nick B

Dan Mastro

Agent
nick, i'm about 1-1/2 hours from the state line in Mass. if interested in listening to axioms with a yammie, PM me.
dan

BobAlbano

Second Unit
There you go Nick B, I would definitely take Dan up on his offer to hear the Axioms. While it won't be in your room, with your gear, you will still be able to get a good feel if the Axiom sound and look is for you...Let us know what you decide! :cool:

Nick B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Dan:

You are very kind to offer me an audition and I thank you. I live about 2 hours north of the border, in New London, so it would be quite a trip. Let me consider it and if I can swing it, I will PM you. Thank you again for your graciousness.

Nick B

Dan Mastro

Agent
oh yea, confused it with another town, and i lived in sunapee for 10 years duh. yup, about 2 hours away, made the trip weekends when i was dating. offer still stands. i'm listening to a jazz dvd-a from aix records in 6 channel. i must say, sitting fairly close to a qs8, it's great.
let me know.
dan

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Nick, if you are leaning towords rockets you might also want to check out the offerings from ACI found here . ACI is another highly regarded internet direct company that's been around since the catalog days before the internet. You could order speakers from av123 and ACI and send back the one's you don't want to keep as both companies have good at home trial and return policies. That way you could try out two different brands side by side on your equipment in your room for a month.

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I have a Denon 3802 and Klipsch Ref 3-II speakers that I love. While there are a lot of people who would agree with me about Klipsch and Denon there are just as many who don't like the sound of Klipsch and a substantial amount who would disagree with me about pairing Klipsch with Yamaha.
Back in Nov. 2001 I found this forum and the consensus back then was still the same....Klipsch Reference Series mated w/ a Denon receiver equals bliss. :) Fortunately I took the advice, and you can check my sig for my current setup. I just recently got rid of my 3802 and upgraded to a 3803 (thanks 6ave.com!!). I've had zero regrets about my purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks