What's new

Good source for wiring faceplates/connectors? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'm trying to wire some faceplates and connectors inside the walls from my father's LCD to his audio cabinet, very basic, he is not a HT nut but likes a clean installation. Right now we just have an HDMI cable and composite cables from his Dish DVR to the TV along the wall, we would like to hook up an HDMI, S-video/Audio, and another basic composite cable through the walls. And just wondering if any of you have a good source on the internet to buy basic jacks and faceplates? Would Best Buy carry this stuff because the Lowes and HD sell HDMI kits but not much of anything else...

Jay

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Check here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10425
See "WallPlates", next to the bulk wire, on this page: http://www.parts-express.com/home-audio-video.cfm
These are a couple of good places, for everything you'd need. Especially Monoprice..............

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I'm not sure there's a whole lot of value in wiring for S-Video. Not only are connectors hard to find and notoriously difficult to properly install, but with most low and middle-end A/V receivers doing the analog to digital conversion, you shouldn't need anything other than a single HDMI running to your TV.

Just a thought.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, I'm actually wiring it for his current line of sources, he's got a DVD player that (software) upconverts to HD (1080i) via the HDMI cable, but he's also got an old VCR with basic composite and his Dish DVR (which he never uses!!!) has an s-video output and basic composite output. It is NOT an HD DVR as my father still uses SD on his LCD (ughh.. but it's his TV)...

Maybe I should wire two HDMI ports, 1 s-video, 1 composite...

I convinced him to at least connect his LCD via composite cables rather than the F-connector RG-6 mono input... Egad!
jay

Amiklos

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
I'd add Markertek to the sites recommended above. I tend to use monoprice and PE quite a bit myself, but occasionally Markertek is better able to meet my needs.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
OK, I finally got around to spec'ing out the wires I want to run for my father. I'm going with a dual HDMI wall plates cause I figure that even though he has only 1 HD source (an upconverting DVD player), I figure if he ever goes to an HD DishNetwork DVR, he would be able just to plug it in...

Since the wall plate has 2 female to female HDMI ends, I would buy a Male to Male HDMI cable for in-wall and also a male-male HDMI cable for the wall plate to LCD tv? I don't feel like playing with my LCD right now.. making sure I buy the right genders.

I couldn't find an old fashioned composite (video + audio) wall plate for my father's VCR but I assume I can simply run a component video wall plate and ignore the RGB color scheme and use it for yellow/Red/White like a standard compsite video source....

As far as S-video, I didn't find anything at Monoprice but found some items at Parts-express. One that requires soldering. are there any that don't? I have a soldering iron but would think it'd be easier if the price is not prohibitive if there are any that don't need to solder (and doesn't need CAT5 cable either...)

Would the below work:

http://www.markertek.com/Patchbays-Wallplates/Wall-Plates-Accessories/TecNec-Panels-Wall-Plates/WPL-1128.xhtml

Seems awfully expensive for a wall plate, especially since I would need 2 and cables... but what is a feed-through connector? It doesn't specify what that is..

Jay

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi Jay,

Yes, you can use the component video plate for your composite connections no problem.

As for the S-Video connectors - I am only aware of the DIY connectors that require soldering. Unfortunately, this is what makes S-Video connectors such a pain. It's pretty delicate soldering, from what I understand, and it's very easy to damage the connector during the process. They aren't cheap, either. Worst case, you can always step back to composite for that source.

I haven't heard of the term "feed-through" before, but from the looks of it, the plate simply has a female-female receptacle for each cable, so you can plug in regular cables to both ends. Might want to call them to make sure. Here's a similar option from parts-express (would need a Decora-style wallplate to complete).

Another option is "Bulk Wire" access - basically a large hole (with a cowl-like cover) that allows regular cables (with the connectors attached) to pass through the plate without an intermediary connector. Of course, for your S-Video cable, you'd then need a lengthy run of however long you need from source to TV, Parts-Express has one (25 foot) for less than $20.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks Jason, I'm starting to think that the S-video is not worth it... (Right now, he is using composite cables only because I convinced him, that RG-6 mono feed is silly these days...) and I will just wire up 2 component video plates that he can use for stuff and hopes someday he'll convert to HD (which will be plug and play since I'm hooking up 2 HDMI inputs and once the wiring is in, it should be fairly simple to change as we need them)...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks