What's new

good reciever in $500 range (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I have my HTR-5760 paired with Polk RTi (RTi8/CSi3) speakers. I don't think I could handle the sound if it was any more neutral than it already is. I'd love to pop in a RX-V1400/2400 and see how it compares in my listening area.

Any volunteers to provide this receiver for me? :)

Daman

Second Unit
Guys, am finally buying the reciever this weekend, thanks for your tons of input and help on this regards. Am going in for the Yammi 5790. The only thing left is for me to decide whether to buy it from Bestbuy(760$) or from an internet dealer on ebay(some 530$ odd). The problem being that the internet dealer isnt authorized so warranty might be an issue, he does claim that if anythings wrong with the product he would get it fixed. The other point is that with BB i wouldnt have to wait for a few days for the product to arrive :) Please help me with this last bit of advice.
Thanks!
Daman

Daman

Second Unit
Guys, am finally buying the reciever this weekend, thanks for your tons of input and help on this regards. Am going in for the Yammi 5790. The only thing left is for me to decide whether to buy it from Bestbuy(760$) or from an internet dealer on ebay(some 530$ odd). The problem being that the internet dealer isnt authorized so warranty might be an issue, he does claim that if anythings wrong with the product he would get it fixed. The other point is that with BB i wouldnt have to wait for a few days for the product to arrive :) Please help me with this last bit of advice.
Thanks!
Daman

You gotta make a gut call.

My internet-bought 5790 has worked without a charm for the last week at least :)

To me the money saved was signficant enough that it was worth the gamble. If we were talking $20-$40 I'd have been at Best Buy too... but I got my DVD player for free, basically, with my savings

I watched Lord of the Rings last night and I was just so psyched- sound was awesome. You're gonna love it- wherever you choose to buy, you're not going to go wrong with the 5790. I feel really good that I did a thorough search and made a smart, informed decision.

You gotta make a gut call.

My internet-bought 5790 has worked without a charm for the last week at least :)

To me the money saved was signficant enough that it was worth the gamble. If we were talking $20-$40 I'd have been at Best Buy too... but I got my DVD player for free, basically, with my savings

I watched Lord of the Rings last night and I was just so psyched- sound was awesome. You're gonna love it- wherever you choose to buy, you're not going to go wrong with the 5790. I feel really good that I did a thorough search and made a smart, informed decision.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Kyle :) well ill be looking fwd to audition LOTR with the new reciever as well..and i also feel wise that i posted it up on the forum and all of you helped me decide on it. How much time did it take the reciever to deliver at your place from the time you ordered? just cant wait to lay my hands on it now hehehe.. thanks again!

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Kyle :) well ill be looking fwd to audition LOTR with the new reciever as well..and i also feel wise that i posted it up on the forum and all of you helped me decide on it. How much time did it take the reciever to deliver at your place from the time you ordered? just cant wait to lay my hands on it now hehehe.. thanks again!

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I had my search narrowed down a couple of weeks ago to the HTR 5760 or the Denon 2805. Now, I've changed my mind and am going for the 5790. I haven't bought a new home theater since about 1996, so I've got a BAD case of the upgrade bug. Got the 51" Sony RPTV, got the DVD player, now it's just receiver and speakers. I think this is the most fun you can have with all your clothes on. Enjoyed all the input as well. Thanks.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I had my search narrowed down a couple of weeks ago to the HTR 5760 or the Denon 2805. Now, I've changed my mind and am going for the 5790. I haven't bought a new home theater since about 1996, so I've got a BAD case of the upgrade bug. Got the 51" Sony RPTV, got the DVD player, now it's just receiver and speakers. I think this is the most fun you can have with all your clothes on. Enjoyed all the input as well. Thanks.

Daman

Second Unit
:D just ordered a pair of Energy C3's, a CC1 and a pair of CR-1's to go with the new reciever and the existing C1's i have.. i love my wife hehehehe..

Daman

Second Unit
:D just ordered a pair of Energy C3's, a CC1 and a pair of CR-1's to go with the new reciever and the existing C1's i have.. i love my wife hehehehe..

Daman

Second Unit
thanks Kyle, ive decided to go with the online purchase finally, it would save me some dough and hope the reciever lives upto my expectations :) Thanks again!!

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks to all of you my HTR5790 arrived on friday evening and boy was i glad to hook it up, ran through the manuals and all the tips i found to set it up on HTF and have it up and running. Also upgraded my speakers to Energy C3(pair),CC1,C-R1(side) and C1(pair) and bought an infocus X1 projector.. :) am watching movies on a 90 inch screen now and the smile never vanishes !! Now i noticed a strange thing today- i specifically remember having setup the zone 2 and 3 on the remote yesterday and switching them off so that the lights vanished on the reciever display but today morning they were again switched on.. does the reciever loose its setting it the power source its connected to is switched off? I used a surge proctector and i switch it off after im done watching. The manual says if one unplugs the reciever and doesnt connect it for a week it looses the settings but im talking about just a night here.. any advice on this??
Thanks!
Daman

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Muneeb, if it wasnt for your persuation i would have gone the 5760 way so i owe a big thanks to you for this one specially :) Also owe another thanks to Kyle because i bought my reciever from datavis as well, and it came in one day from when i ordered!!
Regarding the problem - so you mean i should always power the reciever back on from the remote only?? thats funny..why would yamaha do a thing like this? Another thing is when i had enabled the remote for zone 2 and 3 they used to show up in the list of components on the lcd screen.. now they are not showing up also.. so it seems the system has been reset or does the switching of reciever from the power button on reciever reset the remote settings as well?
One more question- the reciever has outputs for what it calls presence speakers.. have you tried them out? They are supposed to be placed at around 6 ft Behind the main speakers for yamaha DSP effects... im mainly using PL2X on the movie tracks and just loving it :)
Thanks again for all the help!
Daman

Thanks for the kind words daman. If you notice, I haven't been around much lately--- too busy enjoying the new receiver!

I just hooked up my SACD player and was blown away- serious, s***-eatin' grin that I walked around with all weekend. Really, really pleased.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Daman,

Congrats on the purchase of the HTR-5790. Keep in mind that it really is no myth that the sound of electronics will exhibit a bit of sound change once the unit has had enough "play time".

With my HTR-5760, the sound was a little bright for the first few days of use. After that, the sound became more neutral and more enjoyable.

I've never used the presence speakers - yet. At some point, I may look into getting something situated. However, the manual seemed to indicate that the presence speakers would only be activated during the use of certain DSPs. With this being the case, I don't think the presence speakers would be utilized while running DPL II/IIx but possibly the Cinema DSP mode.

:) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks