Good Quality Cabling /w Affordable Price?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Derek Iverson, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Stunt Coordinator

I'm currently setting up my home theater, but I'm having trouble finding some good quality cables and wires at an affordable price.

I was going to use Monster Cable for my speakers, but it can be pretty expensive. I've heard that just about any 12 gauge wiring will work great for speakers, is this true? If this is so, is this a good deal, or would I be better off going to a store like Home Depot?

What about for my subwoofer? I'm going to be getting an SVS. I'm not sure which one yet, but definitely one of the cylinders. I heard someone saying that RG6 cabling will work, but will I lose any of the signal? I don't think my sub will be that far away from the TV, so maybe it would be best if I just bought something pre-made.

I also need to get a good quality toslink cable to go from my DVD player to my A/V receiver. I've seen some really cheap ones, but I don't really know much about them.

I'll probably need some digital coaxial cables too (long ones; 25-50 feet).

I still haven't bought any decent component video cables to use for my HDTV (57" Toshiba 57HX81) that I've had for several months. It seems like most of the "good" ones are $80 and up. Anything cheaper, or are the expensive ones worth it in this case? I've been told that they are worth the money in the past, but this would really start to add up. I need one to go from my A/V receiver to my TV, one to go from my DVD player to my A/V receiver, and another one to go from my HDTV receiver to my A/V receiver.

2. Murali Kalapala

The sound king is a good deal. For video cables buy good coaxial cables and make your own....there will be no problems. The DIY forum may have more info.

3. Derek Iverson

Umm... I'm not going to use coax cables for high resolution video. I'm sticking with component.

4. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Derek, check out www.ac4l.com they have ar pro cabling, which is a great abng for the buck...and cheap too...I believe they have a big sale going on...12' component cables AR PRO, not the Best BUY cheap ones..for 24 bucks(last I checked) talk to Mark...he is good...tell him tom sent ya[​IMG]

5. Derek Iverson

Looks like a good deal. Thanks Tom.

6. Derek Iverson

Hmm... Does anyone know where to get long digital coaxial cable? I need it to reach from one of my computers to my A/V receiver (at least 25-30 feet).

7. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Email Mark at the addy above..he may have something, or a suggestion[​IMG] tom

8. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Digital coax doesn't need a special cable.
    I put RCA ends on a 60' run of RG6 to go from my computer to my HT and it worked fine. Sounds great and only cost $25 at Home Depot.

9. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Derek,

For inexpensive quality component cables, one option would be www.bluejeanscable.com.

(they'll still be "coaxial" component cables; I don't think you'd find much better though)

10. Derek Iverson

11. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

Tara Labs

12. Derek Iverson

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I use Tara Labs. They are a little more $$ than Monster(i've used them before too) and are an improvement on the video and audio side both. They make more expensive cables as well but I could only afford their basic entry line at the time.

My advice: buy both and see which ones you like and return the ones you don't. If you see the difference/hear the difference and think its worth the $$, then buy the better cable. I did and kept the Tara labs. Their optical cable 1 meter was $35 for me at my local store.

Generally you should spend 10% of your total home theater budget on cabling and this works out well. I sure would if I spent $2k+ on a new Toshiba big screen.

On Component cables, you don't have to buy strictly component cables, you can buy 3 75ohm video cables and be just fine.

Other sites to recommend are:
    http://www.catcables.com
    http://www.avcable.com

Keep also in mind the cable debate rages on daily with multiple threads on this and various opinions so do yourself a favor and go with what you like and ignore the rest of us because its your money you are spending not them [​IMG]

14. M_a_r_k^NE

M_a_r_k^NE Agent

Tributaries carries good value cable. Check them out.

15. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

16. Derek Iverson

When making component video cables, is it better to use Canare's V3-5CFB or would three seperate runs of quad-shielded coaxial cable result in better quality?

I got quotes for custom cables from people selling on eBay. Each quote is from a seperate person that emailed me back. Out of the five people I emailed yesterday, four replied. Only three were interested in making me custom cables. Tell me what you think.

17. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

18. Derek Iverson

19. Derek Iverson

This is what I want to know:

When making component video cables, is it better to use Canare's V3-5CFB or would three seperate runs of quad-shielded coaxial cable result in better quality?

20. Derek Iverson

Anyone?