What's new

good place to buy games? (1 Viewer)

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know a good place to buy hard to find games.Im looking for castlevania chronicles for playstation and can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys i got it at ebay for only a few bucks more than if i had bought it at a store so as long as i get it i will be happy.But i still would like anyone's opinion of a good place to buy games for less than or the same as someplace like bestbuy but with a wider selection

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Do you not have video game stores such as Electronics Boutique (EB Games, EBX) or Gamestop (Funcoland, Babbages, Software, Etc.) in your area? I also find lots of great deals at Target, FYE and CompUSA.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
dudes.... nothing will beat ebay prices.... sometimes you will see a game thats way over priced but then you just dont bid...... you can find just about any game cheaper on ebay then it would be in the stores....

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
even after shipping charges..... most games will still be cheaper..... the problem with ebay is the waiting time for your game.... some peeps are lazzy and dont ship your game for days..... but there are very few peeps like that.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
you have to be careful about checking out the shipping prices before bidding and taking that into consideration.
I've bought like one game at a real store and the rest on ebay.

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Ah, I just realized why our experiences differ. At the moment, I'm mainly building a Dreamcast game collection (I came late to the party, but I'm having a great time before the keg runs out). So the games I'm looking for are ~$10 in the stores, and around the same price on eBay. Factor in the exorbitant shipping charges most sellers add on, and DC games are cheaper at the mall. But, if you are buying newer next-gen games, it is true that eBay auctions will be cheaper, even with shipping charges.

rick stein

Stunt Coordinator
I always thought they were more money on ebay.The one i just got 24 bucks after ship at a store it would have been 20 bucks.Isn't that what the sellers do buy it at a store then wait for it to become hard or impossible to get any place else.Then charge you alot more

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
ebay sellers dont do that becouse it takes way to long for a game to be hard to find and by then....the price of the game will go down at the stores making it even cheaper on ebay..... one would have to guess at what games are going to be good rare ones that are going to cost alot in the future...... like back in the sega saturn days.... im sure no one thought that panzer dragon would be one of the most expensive games you could find for the satern NOW... an average S&H charge on ebay will run around 3 to 5 bucks...anything over that will be a rip unless its more then 1 game for sale or your getting an over night or 2 day dilivery on the game.... and like you said Allen_Appel
some of the older games (like dream cast games)are best bout at the store....

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
If you want rare items that rarely even appear on EBay, there is an excellent collection of gamers that buy/sell/trade old (and new) games at www.gametz.com. Great trading site. It is now subscriber-based, but there is a free forum where you can trade items for subtime if you want to stay cheap. :)

- John...

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
I think you can list your stuff at Gametz.com for free it's just you can't see your "matches" and whatnot.
but someone with a subscription can still find you.
definitely worth listing

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I think you can even see your matches as a non-subscriber -- you just can't initiate trades (i.e. you can't see their email addresses or use the new built-in offer system) unless you subscribe ($20/year). I've subscribed since the beginning, so I'm not too familiar with the non-sub stuff. Great stuff though -- I have over 100 trades there for games, movies, and such.

- John...

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I personally sell a lot of games on Ebay but buy very few. I keep an eye out at the local used game store here in Midland, MI (Game Exchange) (I see John is in Mount Pleasant, about 45 minutes from me). It's a little shop run by an old guy who is pretty cool. He uses the funcoland price list but undercuts it a bit. He generally has a copy of Chrono Trigger, FF games for SNES, NES RPGs, etc. Picked up my copy of Shining Force II from him for like $15-20?
He had a copy of Dragon Warrior IV last year I almost bought and resold on ebay. He wanted $35 for it, I own my original cartridge from the early 90's. He will also put you on a reserve list.
I find I get a better deal from him most of the time than trying to get a game off ebay, especially on COMPLETE games. Ebay prices on complete games are sometimes ridiculous. I haven't been in there much lately due to $$ and (carpel tunnel/tendonitis)? limiting my gaming, though. I guess my point here is check out the local non-big-corporation shops, and flea-market type places.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I've always found small game shops to be pretty ridiculous on the prices, often hovering around ebay range. GameTZ used to be really hot a year or two ago, but people started asking too much for their games and the site also started asking for a bit too much cash for what it provides.

Personally, I'm all about pawn shops, and scanning the Buy it Now auctions on ebay for the occasional bargain. Mint/complete Suikoden 2 for $6? I'll take it! I sell a ton on ebay though, since the prices are usually very favorable.

There is also a growing site called www.tradegamesnow.com, but it's mostly kids trying to sell their used GTA3 for $45, etc.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
i agree..... the non-big-corporation shops, and flea-market are an other good places to look and would mostlikey be better to by them there then on ebay.... but one thing ebay has over every store is selection.... alot of thous non-big-corporation shops, and flea-markets rarely have the game you want. ebay will sometimes have WAY over priced games but then you simply just dont bid on it and goto the next auction....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks