Good News about Complete Bob Newhart Show (see Post 90)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Eric_Bee, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Mad About You is a Sony show and not Fox. Currently Shout Factory has the distribution rights to Mad About You and after the low sales on season 5 they have stated more than once that the final seasons will not be coming out anytime soon if ever.
    As for Rhoda season 5, that is also Shout Factory. I think their negotiations with Fox fell through and they are unable to secure licensing for the final season of Rhoda.
    Muppet Show is Disney and not Fox. Again, James nor Fox have anything to do with The Muppets. I've been to Muppet Central the official Muppet site and there is no news on Season 4. More than likely music clearances are keeping this from happening. Or George Lucas is playing hard ball about the episode with the Star Wars characters in it. It's obvious that something really big is keeping this from being released or it would have been released by now.

2. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Oops, should have realized that those other shows I mentioned were licensed by other studios...my fault and thanks for the clarification Brian.

3. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    No problem. All of those shows are on my list that I want completed too. So I tend to keep up with any news on them.

4. vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001 Supporting Actor

Mike Dunn is a failure of epic proportions.

5. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I'm finally getting to see the 5th and 6th season episodes airing now on MeTV. I haven't seen these episodes in ages! Bring them to DVD please!

6. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Second Unit

Most of those movies haven't been seen for a while on DVD, and are now in the cutout bins because they didn't see in big numbers (of course, if they were promoted like current releases, then they would sell...)

7. Sky Captain

Sky Captain Second Unit

I have my doubts that Fox Home Entertainment would do what you want at all, especially for Newhart, and especially with all of the clearances that would be needed to get these appearances on the DVD box set. It would have to sell like Star Trek: TOS for that to happen.

8. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Nowadays, i can't trust FOX to do anything right or proper with their TV shows and movies anymore, especially with a prime example of a recent movie they just released on the archive and they literally half-assed it to shreds. There's a review of that movie on the site for Three Little Girls in Blue as that said example.

9. Mr. Handley

Mr. Handley Supporting Actor

Paul
    So, what exactly is holding-up the rest of this wonderful series?

10. Nelson Au

11. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    ^Not *may* but *are*. Here's a link to the official press release announcing the product:

TVShowsonDVD

It's a 19-DVD set that will be in stores May 27th, OR available from Shout! online store on April 22nd. It's available for pre-order at Amazon & Shout!. I placed my order with Amazon the day it went up (and got it for $10 less than Shout!'s pre-order price).

12. Nelson Au

Well, I was saying "may" because this seems too good to be true. :). So until they are really out, I'll believe it.It certainly sounds and looks real and official.That's great news you preordered.

13. Nelson Au

By the way, it's unfortunate the timing was such that Suzanne Pleshette and Marcia Wallace are not here for the new interviews.

BobO'Link and MatthewA like this.
  14. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

Wow. Didn't know that Marcia Wallace had passed away.

15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    Amazon currently has The Bob Newhart Show: The Complete Series on sale for $79.99. My pre-order has already been price adjusted. That's $13.33/season - a *great* price for all 6 seasons and, IMHO, absolutely worth the double-dip as the discs will be single sided!

16. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    That's the kind of news I was waiting for. I preordered early on just in case it might get reduced and I missed it, but with the mind set of cancelling if it stayed at the previously listed price. I was starting to think cancelling would be the way to go and wait for a deal of the day sale sometime down the road. But this is a price i can live with.

17. Nelson Au

I'm going to take a guess, based on the extras appearing to be the same as the Fox sets, that this releases is not going to be remastered. And that the first 4 seasons will be from identical sources used for the Fox discs. And it follows the remaining 2 seasons will be the same sources. I hope I'm wrong and the series had been given a once over and perhaps looks a little shinier.

18. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Supporting Actor

Was going to hold off on this until I saw the price drop. Pre-ordered!

19. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Cinematographer

Always preorder. The prices always drop, sometimes substantially, before street date.

20. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I am wary. I'll wait for reviews. S4 had rubbish transfers, easily the worst I've ever bought/seen for a TV series from the U.S. (I've seen plenty worse from the UK and Canada, even for relatively recent series). BN clearly didn't think much of it either: he was interviewed just when it came out and didn't even mention it, but he mentioned "everything" else he was peddling at the time. IOW the subsequent seasons may have been even more poorly treated...seemed to be the trend. Not going to reward them twice for this poor treatment, even though I hate flippers, but these ones haven't been a problem. I am surprised how well this program holds up though, least for me.