Good News about Complete Bob Newhart Show (see Post 90)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Eric_Bee, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

Yes, but just how many people will know how to burn the shows to disc? In fact, those downloads may not even be available to save to disc, you might wind up paying for a one time viewing. I think when DVDs are finally killed off in favor of downloads, there will be a major financial loss by the studios.

2. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    I hope that'll never happen, I don't want us to become more robots than we already are, I still want to buy and hold it in my hand!

3. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I sure hope the last two season are still coming. Perhaps they can save some costs and package Season 5 and 6 together in one box set.

4. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I haven't been collecting TBNS, but it's a shame any time a series doesn't get a complete release on DVD.

5. Nick Zbu

Nick Zbu Stunt Coordinator

The only thing I can think of to conquer this 'but no sales' problem is if Fox and the like just sold Complete Series sets. Just toss out everything on disc, save some packaging, and just get it over and done with. Simply tossing out three double-sided discs with some packaging as a test run does not work. If you toss everything out there (or at least multiple seasons), then it might work. After all, most of these lures are basically first season sets that are either the show before its prime or overpriced due to a shortened season or such.

6. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I agree, they got the idea right with Get Smart

7. Jack Platt

Jack Platt Stunt Coordinator

But the only problem with that is the following:
    People on restricted budgets may be reluctant to shell out $100 for a full season set in today's tough economic times. This is why a lot of companies, such as FOX are releasing The Addams Family for example in separate 3 Volume sets at about $30 retail price rather than paying $40 each for two seasons. Maybe this is the way to go.
    My question is, do companies such as Fox have a profit minimum that they expect when X amount of DVD's per season are sold at a certain price? Or are they just comparing ALL season DVD releases to the marketability of the huge shows that draw the ratings of today like Seinfeld, The Simpsons, and Friends?
    I agree with the above that the companies SHOULD market shows on DVD like they do movies on DVD. Why don't they do something like that? There are 1000's of movie titles on DVD, many of which appeal only to a distinct cult following. If studios only put out top selling DVD movies, consumers would not have the tremendous variety of DVD movies that are available today. Maybe those on the board who are connected with this industry should contact the TV studios about this theory of mine!
    Jack

8. Jack Platt

Jack Platt Stunt Coordinator

According to some posters from Sitcoms Online,
    They said that they e-mailed FOX and were told that there is no release date yet for TBNS Season 5. They did not mentioning anything that the series had been discontinued, so maybe there IS HOPE!
    Scroll down to the later posts in this thread below:
    http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...d.php?t=195454
    If the link doesn't work, just past it into your browser.
    Jack

9. Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger Screenwriter

Jack
  10. Jack P

Jack P Producer

If momentum is moving in favor of these finally being released, then the thread title should be changed!
    I hope it's true since with Barney Miller now getting finished, this is the last 70s sitcom grail for me.

11. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:

While 2011 has been a nice year for me, it's apparently been a fantastic year for you Jack (assuming this listing is correct). I wish I could say Barney Miller and/or Bob Newhart were grails for me, but they aren't. However, I'm always happy for my fellow collectors when their shows are released.

Gary "the 70's did very little for me when it came to sitcoms" O.

12. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Hey! This is good news! Can't anyone change the thread title?

13. Mike*SC

Mike*SC Second Unit

If the rest of this show comes out, I think it will be the last of my TV shows wishlist. Is that possible? I honestly don't know what else I would want that hasn't come out. Either I will be a very contented man, or my life will be suddenly empty and devoid of dreams. Either way, hope this is true.

14. Nelson Au

Just release the final 2 seasons already!

15. Powell&Pressburger

Jack
    Suzanne Pleshette is awesome, I may start rewatching all my previous seasons once this is fully confirmed as being released.

16. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    Indeed she is
    I love her in this show and movies such as 'If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium', 'Blackbeard's Ghost', or 'The Ugly Dachshund'. About the only thing I ever saw with her in it that I didn't like was a horrible movie that starred James Garner that was called Mister Buddwing. A sucky movie compared to both of their standards that isn't very pleasant to watch.

17. Nelson Au

Don't forget The Birds.

18. Powell&Pressburger

Jack
  19. ToddR2

ToddR2 Stunt Coordinator

Todd Rutherford
    I pre-ordered both seasons of this, and am so happy to see that it's coming. I'm thrilled that three of my favorite comedies (possibly THE three favorite) are all seeing releases this fall (Bob Newhart Show, Honeymooners, Barney Miller).

20. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I think I'm gonna pre-order it too, just to show them some good faith :)