What's new

Good job markets for the 21st century? (1 Viewer)

JohnE

Supporting Actor
I'm thirty two years old and am seriously thinking of going back to school to get a better job but I'm not really sure what direction to go? What are some decent paying jobs that should be in demand now and for the forseable future. Any suggestions?

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
That's a good question but I doubt anyone has a definite answer.

One area is anything and everything related to Healthcare. With an aging and growing population there will need to be an adundance of people needed to provide healthcare services.

Another area is Law enforcement. Always needed and especially since 9/11 with more state and local gov't agencies wanting to make sure everyone is safe.

Education is a high demand field but the pay is on the low end to start out with.

Also depending on your education background other fields such as engineering, science, and law have traditionally been strong, stable fields.

Jeff

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
4 years ago, electrical engineers were hotter than Shakira and Jennifer Lopez combined. The demand was supposed to last for another 10 year. At least that is the tune our professors sang back then. If ya had an EE degree, ya had a job. Also, things were so good that everyone who had Microsoft Word on their resume could have had an IT job. There was no end in sight.

It all turned around in 1 (one) year. By early 2001 hirings in EE had dramatically dropped. The semiconductor field was saturated beyond belief. Now they try to blame it on 9/11 (it certainly didn't help, but it didn't cause the recession either). I personally wasn't affected (on the contrary, I got hired) but I learnt some valuable lessons: Those job market predictions are reliable like a 30 day weather forecast.

Ah, the nineties...

--
Holadem

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Just go take a couple of night classes and get your MCSE certification. You'll have employers beating down your door to offer you jobs paying $70,000 a year and up. I heard a commercial on the radio this morning making this claim, so it MUST be true! Why would a technical school lie?

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
Healthcare will always need folks, its a tough business being around people who are sick and you have to have a certain disposition. But as the baby boomers age, they will need more and more health related issues addressed, no question there will be work in that field.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Just go take a couple of night classes and get your MCSE certification. You'll have employers beating down your door to offer you jobs paying $70,000 a year and up. I heard a commercial on the radio this morning making this claim, so it MUST be true! Why would a technical school lie?
:D, I wish it were that easy!

Healthcare is actually somehting I've been thinking about. Either an OR RN or maybe Radiological Tech? You would think at my age I would have this figured out.:b

David_Moechnig

Stunt Coordinator
Either an OR RN or maybe Radiological Tech?
My sister is going to school for radiology tech, the hospital that she got a job with paid a $5000 (?) sign on bonus and reimbursed her for tuition and is also sending her to ultrasound school. I think the only stipulation is she had to sign a 2 year contract for around $30,000/year.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I hear that military/weapons research spending is on the rise. Maybe you can be a mad scientist? I always wanted to be one, but the fashion industry has stolen all the best mad-scientist bimbo assistants!

But seriously, I do see a bright future in weapons development, lethal and non-lethal. It's a good alternative to the health field. Although, with the recent SARS scare, demand for health workers should go up (hopefully with the pay...if you're willing to expose yourself to a lethal disease and possibly infect your loved ones too, then you should be paid more dammit!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks