What's new

Good Horror Flicks w/ Great DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Cory-C

Grip
I have started to expand my collection into areas that I normally never watched much of when I was younger. I have started to get into horror flicks ... both cheesy and not so much. I am also into the on edge psychological thrillers like Silence of the Lambs and Identity.

I have some interest in The Hills Have Eyes and Day of the Dead. Are they both worth a blind purchase? Can you compare them to anything I may have obviously seen? (I own over 2000 DVDs and have seen a ton more, so you are safe in mentioning many things)

I would like some great films, but also would like great DVD releases with decent transfers and extras.

Any other flicks that I could easily pick up at a store like Best Buy? Try to avoid the OOP stuff cuz I am not much of an online buyer or eBayer.

Thanks!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Haunting (1963)
The Thing From Another World (1951)
House of Wax/Mystery of the Wax Museum (double feature)
Diabolique (Criterion version, 1955 film)

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
Stir of Echos
American Werewolf in London
Halloween
The Exorcist
Below
What Lies Beneath
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1 and 3) and possibly the "New Nightmare"

These are just a few, if you want more check out my collection. I have some other horror films. Of course, I would rent before you buy and buy the ones you like.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

I thought Day of the Dead was an excruciating film experience, despite all the hype from the legions of Romero fans. It's tedious, boring, lifeless (pun intended) and extremely dull. I have heard all the stories about the cuts, the budget problems, etc. "This is not the film Romero intended on making" they say...well, it IS the film I ended up seeing and I hated it!

As for your question,I recommend the following:

Halloween
Psycho
Horror Hotel
Dead and Buried
Night of the Living Dead
Dead of Night (not sure if this is available on DVD in Region 1)
The Brood

Unfortunately, there is an INCREDIBLE amount of awful horror out there...

Jon B NY

Stunt Coordinator
Day of the Dead is a fantastic movie, just don't expect Dawn part 2. It's much more intense and has a more serious overtone. It's one of my favorites and George Romero's (director) favorite of his series. I belives it's $16.99 at Best Buy. Great price for the 2 disc with nice features. The documentary alone is great.

I'd also HIGHLY reccomend Evil Dead 1 and 2. Then after those the Army of Darkness 2 disc boomstick edition. Brilliant trilogy of cheesy, fun, funny, yet still scary horror films!

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
The Evil Dead films: Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army of Darkness.
Re-Animator is excellent.
Day of The Dead is really good. It is my favorite of the Dead Trilogy.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Well I like both Dawn and Day, though I prefer Dawn. I like Day better now than when I first saw it years ago.

As for recommendations:
Evil Dead Trilogy
May
Session 9
Cabin Fever
Exorcist
Wrong Turn
Willard
For some older stuff, check out Hammer studios films
Nightmare on Elm Street series
Candyman (jus part 1)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I picked up "Hills have Eyes" as a blind buy last year with the original "Texas chainsaw Masscre" so I could have a hillbilly double feature for Halloween.

Hills is a decent film. It is not really much of a horror film, and is definately cheap, but it is also rather interesting. The 2 disc set is fantastic, with a great wes Craven documentary that is worth the price of the disc on it's own.

Texas has a crap transfer, but the extras are faily decent. I'm hoping for a rerelease with the Behind the Saw documentary, but whoi knows if that well ever come out. It can be had cheap, so it's not a bad deal. Again, it has one of the WORST transfers I've seen (but still bettr than most VHS copies.)

Day Of the Dead is a hard film to watch mainly because there are no likeable characters in the entire movie. I think that is pobably why alot of people are turned off by it. I liked it though, and the 2 disc Ancor Bay DVd is fantastic!

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Ankle Biters: I found this at my local Hollywood Video in the Horror section. It is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen. Meaning that it is HILARIOUS. It is a rip-off of Blade. A half man/half vampire goes around killing...yep! Midget vampires! Filmed on video and shot only in broad daylight. Recommended to all for a good laugh.

Drexel: What do you want for lunch, little buddy?
Drexel's midget sidekick: TACOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSS!

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Criterion's edition of Fiend Without A Face is a great DVD. I'd also add Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 version), Curse of the Demon, and Them! to go along with the previously-mentioned The Thing from Another World to round out a starter set of classic horror from the 1950s.

More modern stuff: The Re-animator, Evil Dead 2, Halloween come to mind first.

Jan

TommyT

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
[rant]DEFINITELY Re-Animator!![/rant] You must see the Elite Millennium Edition, its one of my favorite DVDs! Has one of the best commentary tracks, the one with Brian Yuzna & the cast.

I just got the Elite Mill Ed of Night of the Lvg Dead & its great too. Lots of fun bonuses.

Cheers to all who've recommended the Anchor Bay eds of Evil Dead I & II. The Book of the Dead ed of I is a cool collector's item.

Another film I've always liked is Interview w/the Vampire which probably turned most people off because it starred Tom Cruise.

The 1982 vers of The Thing is also a great horror flick [rant]EXCEPT[/rant] that it's not available in anamorphic format.

And I've always liked Hannibal. Not really a horror film, SOTL was much scarier but the sequel is a lot better than people wanna give it credit for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks