What's new

Good home finance software for Mac? (1 Viewer)

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
The beta feedback forum is gone because Intuit built a feedback tool into its latest beta release. It's hardly dead. I heard a lot of people bitching about it when it was announced over a year ago, but I have to say that it's something I will definitely buy when it's released.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Michael, that's good to hear. I hope it's just running silent until launch. If it's solid, does all the basics (balancing, budgets, mortgage, 401k, mutual funds) and can import my MS Money data I will buy it.

The lack of a solid, reputed finance program on the Mac is a thorn in my switcher side. And I'm eager to get finances off my laptop (with Parallels) and onto my wife's desktop (no Parallels).

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Bad news and good news about the new Quicken for Mac (from AppleInsider):

Bad news is it's delayed until Feb 2010.

Good news is Intuit is revamping the package based on the largely negative feedback they've received on the public betas to date. Especially important (to me, anyway):

a robust Windows-to-Mac transfer function for new Mac users (and existing customers running Quicken on a Windows virtual machine)
No word on MS Money transfer, but I've got my fingers crossed for you, Dave.

This is the first news from Intuit I've heard in a long time that indicates they're actually listening to customers. I'm willing to wait until Feb. to give them a chance to get it right.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the update! Bummer that it's another 9 months out, but progress is being made it seems.

As for MS Money import. If push comes to shove, perhaps I can buy Quicken for Windows, import my MS Money data, and then import WinQuick to QFL :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the note! I'm eager to read the reviews and to have my wife give it a try. If it does everything we need, it will be $60 well spent to sever the final, critical tie with Windows.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is there a demo? Or do you have to pay for it to try it for 30 days?

Please post a review when you've had some time with it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting thread. Got some links to Mossberg review and other goodies on Quicken Essentials.

What I've read about it, it sounds like a $30 app being sold with a 130% markup.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Just got an e-mail from Intuit that they are dropping the price on Quicken Essentials by 20 bucks. For people that have already bought the product, $20 will be credited to your charge card. Not sure how they will handle sales that weren't made directly through Intuit. In addition, it mentions they have a series of updates that are being rolled out through August that include the ability to manually enter investment holdings as well as the ability to export data to tax filing programs like Turbo Tax. Users will also be able to export their data to spreadsheets and (it's about time) password protect their data file.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. Stumbled on this via Ars's forums. It's now $50 instead for $70. So no longer stupidly priced, merely overpriced.

http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/mac-personal-financial-software.jsp

Look forward to hearing about the coming updates. I'm still eager to get a Mac finance program, but this Quicken is still missing some key features I need. If it had what I need, I'd pay $50 for it. The premium would be worth it in the simplification it would bring to our computer setup for finances.

Read more carefully about the coming updates. Looking forward to updated reviews: that might be enough enhancements that it will work for my household.

altondelmote

Auditioning
Real Name
Andy Rodic
Thanks for sharing very good information. Really home finance software is so popular and useful also but be careful for good use of this.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Intuit rolled out their update a few weeks ago that allows investment information to be manually added as well as the export of tax data to Turbo Tax and check printing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My plan for early next year is to upgrade to Parallels 6 and buy and install Win7 on my wife's iMac. Then switch from Money '06 to the current version of Quicken for Windows.

When I checked Intuit's website a month ago on QFL, it was so basic as to be useless. My wife demo'd the new version of iBank and found it seriously lacking in basic functionality. She also watched some tutorial videos on the current version of MoneyDance and saw it would have similar weaknesses.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check QFL again. I'd given up on switching a Mac-native finance program but maybe Intuit is getting its act together.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Alas...

Yes, Quicken Essentials for Mac allows you to track the overall value of your investment accounts and the value of your specific holdings. It will not, however, track investment buys and sells, nor will it provide some advanced investments performance reports.

And the "Compare Versions" link for the Mac Quicken page goes to a Windows-version comparison chart, with no mention of the Mac version.

Intuit is like the girlfriend that wishes you would stop bothering her, but can't muster the strength to actually break up.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's me again... :)

What's the word on Quicken for Mac? Has it received any upgrades? Any rumors of major new releases coming (soon)?

I'm going to do a major upgrade this week, and spend $300+ to upgrade Parallels, buy Windows 7 and Quicken 2011 for Windows to get a current finance app (from Money 2006) and move our finances from my MBP and onto my wife's iMac. I'd rather spend a reasonable $60 on Mac-specific software, but I can't find suitable software for our rather picky tastes. Unless someone knows of a big upgrade soon to come?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks