What's new

Good home finance software for Mac? (1 Viewer)

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I've decided it's about time I start watching what I'm making, spending, and saving, so I'm on the hunt for some good home finance software like MS Money or Quicken. Recommendations? I think when I really see what I spend and save, I'm hoping I'll be a bit more responsible with my money.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are several smaller apps such as MoneyDance, Cha Ching, and iBank. I've not used them.

There's also Quicken 2007. Reviews dissuaded me from it, and I'm waiting for the revised Quicken (this Fall?). Until then I'm using my MS Money 2003 via Parallels.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I use iBank. Not a bad piece of software. I use it as a
glorified checkbook to keep my paper ledger correct.

Pretty feature-packed with a graph that breaks down where
all your expenditures go each month.

The only thing I don't like about it is that you can't create
your own custom categories.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Quicken 2007 works fine. I've been using Quicken on the Mac since '99 and have had no problems with it. A completely redesigned version is coming in the fall.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
I reluctantly use Quicken 2007. It takes time getting used to its user interface quirks, but once you do, it does the job. Like others, I too, am waiting for overhauled Quicken Financial Life in the fall.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately Intuit pulled Quicken out of the UK market. MS Money hasn't been updated for the UK since 2005 :frowning:

Ron, iBank looks like it might be OK. They say it should work for non-US customers as long as their bank supports OFX statement downloads (which most UK banks do). Their website does say that you can create custom categories. Is that not the case?

Will iBank profile what your balance will do over the coming months based on regular incomings and outgoings? That's one thing I liked with MS Money. At the moment I'm using a simple spreadsheet, but these dedicated finance apps are a bit slicker.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
thanks for the replies. I've been without a finance program for my whole life, so I think I'll wait for the updated Quicken, though I may check out iBank.

Brian

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Darren,

I have only been using iBank as a backup to my paper checkbook.
Not using it in conjunction with my financial institution.

I haven't found a way to create custom categories but now that
I know that the website says it can be done, I'll look at it more
closely and get back to you.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is Quicken Financial Life now vaporware? Any news on its release?

With my wife's imminent new iMac, I'd like to move our finances from my MBP / Parallels / MS Money 2003 configuration to a native app on her iMac.

Alas, personal finance is still a weak spot on the Mac. I guess people don't have any money left to manage after spending it all at Apple :crazy:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Whoa! I'm going to be that cranky old guy running Money 2003 on XP when the whole world is moved on to holographic Quicken on OS X 10.42.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'll check it out. I've been uninterested in finance apps besides Money and Quicken, as they've proven over a decade or more that they're solid personal finance apps. But with Money leaving the game, Quicken seemingly abandoning the Mac, and my Money version 6 years old and requiring Parallels, it might be time to reevaluate my needs.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don' know enough about Mint.com to trust them to not lose all my data to hackers. Let me know when someone reputable (ie has been in business for more than 6 months and isn't right out of college) buys them out. Love the idea tho, and the implementation rocks. Their bona-fides aren't, tho. =)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I infer that there would no MS Money import either :angry: So horrible. What's the point?

I watched the MoneyWell overview video. It was all about buckets and envelopes and flows and fill lines. :confused: My Credit Union has money, dollars, accounts, balances. Not buckets of water flowing into bushels of apples or whatever.

I need my wife to look at it. Maybe it would make sense to her. And she does the daily finances now. I'm the "big picture" guy
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Appearances are Quicken Financial Life is no more. It's gone from Intuit's website; only Quicken 2007 remains. Word is that the beta feedback forum is also gone.

Maybe it's the calm before the storm: remove all outdated info before launching all new marketing materials. (fingers crossed) I really want a Mac-native finance program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks