What's new

Good bookshelf speakers for, well, bookshelves. (1 Viewer)

BrianMB

Agent
Just moved into a new house that has built-in bookshelves in the living room that I would like to place a 2 channel setup. Most speakers are rear-ported which I don't think would be ideal being so close to the back of the bookshelf.

I'm thinking something like the ACI custom installs might be better since they have ports in the front.

http://www.audioc.com/speakers/Custom/emerald.htm

Any thoughts or what are some of you using in your bookshelves?

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
I've have these JBL E50's in my living room for a 2ch music setup. They sound great, and they are front ported. They are HUGE bookshelf speakers though.

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
I second Nathan's recommendation!

I have the JBL E50s as my 4 surrounds (I have a large living room), prior to getting my towers I used them for 5.1 and 2 channel stereo, they are powerful and will really do the job well for you.

You can get them for like $275 delivered at www.jr.com

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not only budget and size, but what will you be driving them with? Putting ANY speaker in a bookshelf is not a great idea, but you're on the right track with front ported.

I've heard good things about the Emeralds and Sapphires, so I think the customs would be a great choice.

v3 Paradigm Studio 20s are front ported.

BrianMB

Agent
I would like to keep it under $800 for a pair, cheaper would be great. Tape measure is packed away somewhere but here's a picture from the previous owners(we're painting next week:D )

I actually have JBL speakers at my disposal, I have some s38's I need to reintergrate somewhere but I think they're too big and wouldn't sound good in a bookshelf.

I'll probably drive them with a 100w/ch Technics receiver I have laying around till I have funds for something better.

Thx and keep more suggestions coming.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure from the pic but those shelves don't look very deep at all. That would be my main concern. If they are as shallow as they look you might have a hard time finding a pair that works.

BrianMB

Agent
The ACI custom installs are made to go into cabinets(bookshelves) so they have front ports instead of rear, and are only 5" deep. I think I may just go with the custom Emeralds and add a Force, Rava or Onix UFW-10 sub later.

I would love to get the stock Emeralds since I see them pop up on Audiogon every now and then for cheap but am worried about how they would sound having rear ports.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
FYI: you could always plug the ports on most rear ported speakers. You will lose some extension and sensitivity, but generally, the bass response also tightens up.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit

I am using JBL S38's in a bookshelf and think they sound OK. Probably not as good of a soundstage as if they were on stands but the bass is very respectable!

BrianMB

Agent
Just a follow up, A few weeks ago I did manage to score a 2 month old pair of stock ACI Emeralds w/maple side panels for $425 shipped, from Audiogon:D My bookshelves are 11" deep and the Emeralds are just under 8 inches. They sound pretty good, definitely a much bigger sound than you would expect from such small speakers. Great imaging to boot.

Allen_N

Stunt Coordinator
Although you got your speakers, I would just like to put it up that Klipsch are also front ported for anyone that looks at this later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks