What's new

Gone into overload (1 Viewer)

PaulDF

Second Unit
A funny thing happened to me tonight... I was watching a few exciting LOTR scenes at 5 db below reference. Much louder than I usually listen, just wanted to see how the system would hold up.
Everything calibrated and the sub EQ'd flat. I had the sub about 7 db hot, which is no prob for it!
All of a sudden, the sound disappeared! I looked at the receiver and it said "OVERLOAD", I think it was flashing. Then the receiver shut off. My heart stopped...

I got up and felt the top of the receiver. It was not very hot at all. No more than usual. I turned it back on and all looks well, though I decided to shut her all down for a while.

If it matters the receiver is a Pioneer 850s, 110w/ch * 6. I wonder why it would do this? All speaks are set to small so I thought it would handle reference levels ok.

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have midnight mode on? If you do, turn it off and you should most likely be fine. Have a friend who had the same exact problem, midnight mode was the cause. If you check your manual it says that turning this feature on will trigger overload at times.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
What ohm are your speakers? If they are speakers like deftech which say they are Compatible with 4-8 ohms there can be problems. My friend owns the deftechs and Pioneer 711 and would have problems when he would go to -35 which is not loud and get the overload. So check to see what ohm your speakers are. It maybe another option.

PaulDF

Second Unit
I'm sure the midnite mode was off. I have read the manual numerous times, but don't recall it ever mentioning overload...
My Main speakers are rated at 8 ohm, center 6 ohm. My surround speakers might be where the problem lies, I have older 8 ohm towers, and very small bookshelfs wired in parallel. The bookshelfs are rated for 16 ohms I think. Is this a bad no no? I measured the circuit impedence this way with a multimeter and got what I thought was an acceptable reading, though I don't exactly remember what it was. No less than 6 ohms thats for sure. I wouldn't want to run any less then that with this receiver.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Okay, thanks guys. Someday I'll get to upgrade my speaks!

The OVERLOAD message just took me by suprise, thats all.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Check your speaker connections. For a while my Pioneer 510 was overloading at only -15dB with DVD and -25dB with X-Box. I removed all speaker connection and put them in again as cleanly as possible. Now I can hit reference levels without overloading. Although I have a fairly small room.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Justin, On my Pioneer, "only -15db" is very close to reference level. Does your 510 have pushpin connectors? My 850 has screw clamp type, but I would not have thought to check this! Though I suppose most of my speakers have the pushpin connectors, and I was just fudging with the rear channels since the tower speakers have two sets of wire into each... I'd better clean them up... (Yes, against better judgement I am still running them in parallel. It just sounds so much better this way, and since the small bookshelves are so easy to run, I don't know if there is a big problem with it. But it is very possible I could be wrong!)

After more experimenting with AVIA, I have found that reference level on my system is actually -16db. Which is exactly what level I had it at when it overloaded. (Not sure what the 5 db change was since I last checked the calibration?) This has been the only time I have had the receiver go into overload, and since I almost never watch or listen at this level, I am not overly concerned. My rear speaker setup is definitely a no no, and the 6 ohm center will not help matters either.

Thanks again!

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Oops, by "-15dB" I meant 15dB from reference. Reference level on my receiver is -22dB on the display.

Also, if your receiver is overlading at reference level just lower the volume 3dB or so. It will still be plenty loud but your amp will only be working about half as hard.

PaulDF

Second Unit
Yeah, that makes sense.

I didn't realize at the time that I was actually listening at reference level. Man it was loud. Thats right, a 3 db difference will half the amp load.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks