What's new

Gona pull trigger on 1014 this week. Any reason I shouldn't? (1 Viewer)

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Best Buy has it on sale this morning for 400, plus add the 10% off preferred customer coupon and that brings your total down to 360 before tax, not great but getting mine today :D

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
"Best Buy has it on sale this morning for 400, plus add the 10% off preferred customer coupon and that brings your total down to 360 before tax, not great but getting mine today"

Not Great??? Shoot for what you get you are stealing it. . . Think about it. . . If the 1014 was priced 100.00 higher who here wouldnt buy it?? This guy is without a doubt the finest AV receiver that can be had for under 500 bucks period. I sold my 1400.00 VSX45TX, bought this 1014 for temporary use untill I get my 56TXi but now. . . I keep the 1014. . .

The only thing I have noticed that is anywhere near negaitive was while watching LOTR at near reference levels she started getting a bit harsh sounding but it was so loud you could hear it inside the neighbor's house. . . across the street. . . Turn it down a bit and she cleans up nicely. . .

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Gary - seems like this 1014 has gender issues? How is yours dressed up today?

Sorry, sorry, but I couldn't resist. First "This guy is without a doubt the finest", then later "she cleans up nicely". I didn't know if you'd scheduled "the operation" (is this a new meaning for mod'ed?) or if I'd finally found someone else who's fingers can't always remember to type what they'd just thought (not that I've ever done anything like that ;~). And you're right - on sale, plus the 10% off, no shipping $$$ or delay (aka product in hand) this is an absolute steal.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Been posting and lurking fatwallet so if its not 50% off its not considered a deal :D, its now sitting in my spare room, still in box, with my 2 E30s I bought at the sale at Compusa(demos, out the box) and the 2 E30s I have in the box still that Best Buy price matched. Now all I need is the EC35, a SVS sub, and 4 speaker stands and some wire and Im good to go

BTW Mikey gonna get the 35 at the place you told me about, thanks again.

Todd Henry

Second Unit
Heath,

I get coupons sent to me in the mail every couple of months. I think the reason I get the coupons because i have a Best Buy Credit Card or I am a Reward Zone member.

Somehow I got on the mailing list.

Todd

James Phung

Second Unit
You can get this locally at best buy. They've had it for sale at $399 the other week. You can get it for $399 with shipping from jr.com or onecall.com.

BruceTM

Agent
Frankly,

I don't understand why everyone seems to be so enthralled with this receiver. I purchased one to upgrade to DPL2, and I thought for the price it would be the perfect way to do so. I found it to be cheap looking, but I was able to live with that for the price. But, what I couldn't live with was the horrible sound coming from my speakers while this THING was in use in my living room. I know this is not going to be popular, but I can't stand it any more. I have to say it. I would persuade anyone asking me not to buy this product. I did not like it at all. I used to like Pioneer receivers, there are two of them in my house at this moment. But, judging from my experience with the 1014, I wouldn't consider another one. In the last five years, I have had this Pioneer, a Yamaha and currently, a Denon AVR1083. I would take the Yammie or the Denon over the Pioneer and do it gladly.

My apologies to anyone I may have offended.

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bruce,

Yeah I wasn't sure about the 1014 at first either. After a couple of weeks of listening, I decided to hook my denon 1803 back up and try. While I found the sound a bit brighter on the denon and generally pleasing, I noticed that it was very fatiguing and my ears were hurting after about 30 or 40 minutes. I'd forgotten how fatiguing it was (at least in combination with my Dahlquist speakers* and the dynamics in my room).

I switched back to the 1014 and discovered that I liked it more than I thought I did. It's not quite as bright or warm as the denon 1803 but it doesn't fatigue my ears at all and the stereo performance I find to be very good. Multi-channel is also good though the 1803 may have been a hair better at DD and DPLII/Neo6 decoding.

Cheers,
Scott.

*I never noticed the fatigue with my previous speakers, some older Polk audio satelites, so your milage may vary.

BruceTM

Agent
Hi, back at you Scott,

I guess those years I spent with the Yammie just ruined me. I found it to be a little fatiguing, also. After I purchased the Denon, I found the fatigue was gone. When I auditioned the Pioneer Elite vsx-56 at a local B&M before I bought the Denon, I came away thinking the Pioneer was dull sounding. I guess I like a more in your face sound. I would rather put up with some fatigue than give up on detailed sound. That's what's so intriguing about this hobby. After an extensive search for a speaker set up, I ended up going with Axiom after considering Dahlquist. To me, the 1014 made my Axiom's sounded dull and lifeless.

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
I dont' have much experience but that sounds like your axioms may tend to be a bit dark, and the brighter 1803 sound brings them more to life for you. In any event, I guess everybody's entitled to their opions....even if they're wrong. ;) (Just kidding on the last part naturally)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks