ROMOLA GARAI THE HOUR

DIANE LANE CINEMA VERITE

ELIZABETH MCGOVERN DOWNTON ABBEY
(MASTERPIECE)

EMILY WATSON APPROPRIATE ADULT

KATE WINSLET MILDRED PIERCE

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A MINI-SERIES OR MOTION
PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

HUGH BONNEVILLE DOWNTON ABBEY (MASTERPIECE)

IDRIS ELBA LUTHER
WILLIAM HURT TOO BIG TO FAIL

BILL NIGHY PAGE EIGHT (MASTERPIECE)

DOMINIC WEST THE HOUR

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN
A
SERIES, MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR
TELEVISION

JESSICA LANGE AMERICAN HORROR STORY

KELLY MACDONALD BOARDWALK EMPIRE

MAGGIE SMITH DOWNTON ABBEY (MASTERPIECE)

SOFIA VERGARA MODERN FAMILY

EVAN RACHEL WOOD MILDRED PIERCE

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE IN A
SERIES,
MINI-SERIES OR MOTION PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION

PETER DINKLAGE GAME OF THRONES

PAUL GIAMATTI TOO BIG TO FAIL

GUY PEARCE MILDRED PIERCE

TIM ROBBINS CINEMA VERITE

ERIC STONESTREET MODERN FAMILY

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will admit, I am openly pulling for:

Best Drama series this year is packed with all great, great shows. Every one of those shows has been fantastic. But I'm going to pull for "Game of Thrones" for a truly unique television experience. Next choice: Showtime's "Homeland"

Best Actress: I am ALL in on Claire Danes, Homeland. Just an unbelievable performance this year; she dominates that role and sells it.

Best Actor: Damian Lewis, Homeland - one of the most complex roles I've ever seen played so well. Fantastic. (Runner up for me: Kelsey Grammer, Boss)

Best Comedy: Modern Family

Best Actress in a Comedy: Zooey Deschannel (Again, I think Shameless, Season 1 was ROBBED here..)

Best Actor in a Comedy: David Duchovny (I still think, absolutely know that William H Macy was -ROBBED- of a nomination here)

Outside of that I will root for Downton Abbey, which in Season 2 was marvelous.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
Agree on everything involving Homeland, a very gripping drama. I'm a geezer, but I love Zooey Deschanel. I wish she were my wife, daughter. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I realize that it's only the Golden Globes but if the Hollywood Foreign Press Association nominates garbage like American Horror Story or the sweet but not particuarly award worthy New Girl while leaving out brilliant work like Breaking Bad and Parks And Recreation, I have alot of trouble taking the award seriously.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ah, to each their own. I found AHS to be really interesting stuff. Breaking Bad did get a Best Actor nom, though not a best series. In a normal year, I'd consider that down; but the only tradeout I'd make is maybe Boardwalk Empire for Breaking Bad.

That's the thing about award shows; because there is a limited number of shows to commend, someone will always feel as though their show of choice got screwed; for example, I wouldn't put in Parks & Recreation, but I sadly miss that Showtime's Shameless didn't get any love.

*shrug* can't win with everyone on every pick.

Right now, I can tell you American Horror Story will win for Jessica Lange, which is unfortunate because Maggie Smith really -should- win. But Lange's performance in AHS is VERY good.

Originally Posted by TravisR

I realize that it's only the Golden Globes but if the Hollywood Foreign Press Association nominates garbage like American Horror Story or the sweet but not particuarly award worthy New Girl while leaving out brilliant work like Breaking Bad and Parks And Recreation, I have alot of trouble taking the award seriously.
/t/316990/golden-globes-tv-nominations#post_3879582

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I found AHS to be really interesting stuff. 
Yeah, it seems like everyone who has seen it does but I can't stand it. I don't like Glee but I can see why people do enjoy it but AHS's appeal is lost on me. I will say that the cast is excellent (especially Denis O'Hare, Connie Britton and Jessica Lange) but they deserve much better scripts because the writers' biggest concern seems to be making frank references to gay (gasp!) or straight sex to shock all of us rubes who don't live in New York City or Los Angeles.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't think they've had any gay sex scenes that I know of.. I mean, the gay couple.. I figured more people would be upset with the abortion by proxy, rape by the BDSM guy, or the School Shooting rundown. It's basically every horror trope from any film overplayed. *shrug* I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea, but this midwesterner has enjoyed it as great camp sendup of the entire genre in a very dark way.

Originally Posted by TravisR

Yeah, it seems like everyone who has seen it does but I can't stand it. I don't like Glee but I can see why people do enjoy it but AHS's appeal is lost on me. I will say that the cast is excellent (especially Denis O'Hare, Connie Britton and Jessica Lange) but they deserve much better scripts because the writers' biggest concern seems to be making frank references to gay (gasp!) or straight sex to shock all of us rubes who don't live in New York City or Los Angeles.
/t/316990/golden-globes-tv-nominations#post_3879594

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Do people still take the GGs seriously? It's about nominating hot actors/actresses so they show up at the GG ceremony, or nominating "hot" shows with more sizzle than merit to attract eyeballs to their ceremony.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
I don't think they've had any gay sex scenes that I know of.. I mean, the gay couple.. I figured more people would be upset with the abortion by proxy, rape by the BDSM guy, or the School Shooting rundown.
I don't mean depictions of sex. I mean that the scripts are loaded with things that they think will shock or offend people. While they'd have to go alot further than back alley abortionists, sex shops, bondage gear, school shootings or gay characters to shock or offend me, the show doesn't work for me because they only seem interested in jumping from one shock value moment to the next.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The biggest laugher on the list (and there are sooo many to choose from) is that they nomiated Johnny Galeckli from BBT and not Emmy winner/de facto star Jim Parsons. It's like, do you guys even watch any of these shows?

It appears Matt LeBlanc is still big in Europe. I watched the entire season of Episodes and had a few chuckles here and there but... come on.

The GG's are a total joke. They pick their noms based on thumbing through People Magazine. If Angelina Jolie ever appeared on TV, she would get a nom and win. And it wouldn't even matter for what.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/analysis-golden-globe-tv-nominations-are-silly-like-always

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Like I said, all awards are silly to those who don't like the nominated. I've always been chaffed that "The Wire" was never nominated for anything. But after SAG shut out Homeland, it was good to see it get some appreciation from someone. Whether the award is a "joke" or "silly" it's still positive press for a show that I feel deserves it. Nothing at all wrong with that. And while the write up makes it sound as though it's only because he's foreign, Damian Lewis performance in it is one of the best of any show I have ever seen; and deserves the mention.

Boss never got the praise it really deserved, but it was a fantastic, fantastic series that I hope gets some attention in the off season so people pick it up in Season 2.

If you haven't seen either, seriously, just like Ron cojoling people to see "Breaking Bad" (which, IMHO, was fantastic the first few seasons, I didn't care for this current one as much). But if you haven't seen either of those two shows, seriously, you're missing out on fantastic TV

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The things that irritates me about the Golden Globes is that most people understand the group handing out the awards and their level of critical legitimacy. Like, the Oscars > MTV Movie awards. But most people don't realize the GG's are a joke and think they're somewhere just under the Oscars when they're actually much closer to the MTV Movie awards.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The Globes lost all value for me after nominating The Tourist for Musical/Comedy film, despite the fact it was neither a musical, comedy, nor any good.

I'm watching solely for Gervais, and to root for Homeland so it might get some more eyes watching it.

My only comment is that while my wife and I very much enjoyed Episodes (she a transplanted Brit and we lived in LA for a number of years - we could relate), and we watch Hung, neither of these shows deserve GG nominations.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Really good night so far for "Homeland" Which is a much deserved great night for it; I agree with Finke when she says it's one of the best shows on TV this year. It definitely was in that spot for me.

I had a real toss up as best dramatic actor; here they went with Kelsey Grammer; which I think is a very solid pick. I've waffled back and forth between Grammer and Lewis. Both turned in fantastic performances.

But if nothing else, it's good they get the attention.

Great win for Claire Danes.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
TravisR said:
Personally, I tried to check out AHS but was very offended by it and stopped viewing. It may be some people's cup of tea, but not at all a show I would remotely watch or nominate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks