What's new

Golden Ear Subwoofers? (1 Viewer)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
A local high end dealer recently picked up the line and I demo'd the Forcefield 3 and 4 models and was pretty impressed at how well the blended with the mains. Price is reasonable and they are very compact in size. The dealer even said they are selling and using the Golden Ear subs for low ad mid range installations and basically the model 4 and 5, at $699 and $999 cover the low end until a customer moves up to something from JM labs in the $3500 range. I need a new sub, been putting it off, but also wanted to stay under $1000. Of course the further under that is better.

I have been hesitant on many of the popular mail order brands, SVS, HSU, BIC etc because I cannot audition them, while I would be able to audition the Forcefield 4 in my home before purchase.

Anyone familiar with the brand?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not familiar at all. I had to Google them to make sure they weren't a white van model. They look like a decent brand but in close to 15 years on numerous forums, this is the first Golden Ear discussion thread I have seen so I searched. A few hits over at AVS and most say that if you can live with a larger cabinet, the SVS subs are better. But if you can live with a larger sub, I'd go with Powersound since the owner stops by this forum all of the time.

You can audition SVS in your home for 45 days with free shipping both ways. Hsu has a 30 day money back guarantee minus shipping. BIC is more of a bargain sub but still very good for the price.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Lol...Golden Ear...as far from White Van as you can get...But, how many here know of Zu and Ohm Walsh?.Like RobJ says...Most of the highly sought ID subs have a 30-45 day home tryout.A few even have 90 days.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've heard of Ohm Walsh. Than again, few have heard of Eggleston much less even auditioned one of their systems. It was pure luck that I got a chance but the factory is not far away and one of my wife's co-workers lives beside Eggleston's director of marketing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've heard of Golden Ear's speakers, but didn't know they offered subs. If you've heard it and like the sound then its a safe bet if you are comfortable with the dealer. "Blending" of a sub with the mains is easily accomplished with any good sub too, so keep that in mind.

You've got NOTHING to worry about with the well known ID companies too though. SVS and HSU have been around for quite a while and both have excellent reputations for great customer service. I don't hesitate to recommend them. I wouldn't quite put BIC in the same category as those two, but they've also been around and some of (if not all) their subs are HSU designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks