What's new

Going to sell the RPTV and get a FP! Can you give me a push? (1 Viewer)

Mike.N

Grip
Actually the latency of most LCDs is too slow for gaming. On most LCD displays if you have fast moving action like a basketball you'll see a tail on the ball.

If you can get frame rates greater than 60 fps in Doom3 or Halflife 2 congratulations. At 60fps DLP has no problem I used to play games via PC and Playstation 2 on an NEC LT150- Cool!

Kincade

Second Unit
Hmmmm, well that definitely sets me back! The Panny ae700 was a frontrunner; but that definitely gives me a second thought.

So basically; I have to choose between rainbows w/ DLP and Vertical Banding and slow latency w/ LCD's?

To be honest, my concern w/ the DLP isn't so much that the rainbows will bother me, but rather that others at my HT will be bothered by it!

Isn't there anything out there without significant drawbacks? I just want something that is larger than my RPTV but that matches the quality!

Mike.N

Grip
I wouldn't worry about guests being effected by RBE; if they are just do something other than watch a video. Just be sure you and your family have no problems. I've had numerous friends over and no one complained.

If you want something with no video drawbacks Sony has the $30K Quailia or whatever it's called. Suppose to be video heaven. The price is a bit of a financial drawback.

Or a CRT projector might work for you if brightness is not a problem.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I would not scratch the AE700 (unless for a Z3) because of gaming. I have heard nothing but good things with the AE700 and Z3 with gaming. No latency, slowdown or anything. Go to avsforum.com they have a much better pj forum than HTforum.

Mike.N

Grip
You can also check out tomshardware.com and anandtech.com about LCD latency issues and gaming.

avsforum is my normal forum and I agree it is most informative.

Forgive me if I have a DLP bias. Not to start any religious wars but poor blacks (except maybe the Sony H51, I haven't seen it so I can't say but it has good press), SDE and banding keep me in the DLP camp.

Kincade

Second Unit
I wouldn't even mind upping my budget to 2-3k if I could get something without significant drawbacks; but it seems that those PJ's don't offer any benefits over the less expensive ones!

I've read at AVS about the AE700 and Z3; but frankly I'm sortof afraid to post about them. It seems that every vs. thread ends up in a shouting match or completely off topic. Lots of info there, but a lot of trolls too.

Frankly, after reading up on the AE700 at AVS it looks a lot less attractive. A GIGANTIC tweaks thread, and a whole lot of problems too. Is it that bad of a projector, or is there just a lot of them out there?

I looked at the Sony H51, but with the need to buy a DVDO HD+ as well, that adds another $1k to the price tag!

John Welch

Stunt Coordinator

Where they are specifically talking about flat panel monitors and not projectors. Two very different animals and I have never seen any smearing or ghosting when playing on my Yamaha LPX-500.

I haven't been to TomsHardware in a while, could they cram any more ads on their pages. Geez eveery paragraph is now broken up by some ad for something. Guess you have to pay for the bandwidth somehow :) .

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Kincade,

If you can stretch your budget to $2,500 to $3,000 then definitely put the Toshiba TDPMT700 HD2+ DLP projector on your short list. It may not be perfect, but at least it would tide you over until 1920x1080p projectors are at prices that mere mortals can afford.

If you just can't there is a biiiig support group for the Optoma H31. It has a few more adjustable features than the 4805, and uses the same DLP engine with its 854x480p panel. In fact, I've heard the H31 has a built in scaling feature that may make it conducive to an anamorphic lens like the Prismasonic H-500 or H-1000. That way you can have a 2.35:1 "Cinemascope" screen (if it's a fixed screen). Some places are selling the H31 for just over $1,000 plus a free screen.

HD can look great on these standard def. projectors if your screen is kept somewhat smaller and you sit back about 2x the width of the screen.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread