What's new

Going to sell the RPTV and get a FP! Can you give me a push? (1 Viewer)

Kincade

Second Unit
Hi all;

I'm finally throwing in the towel on my 65" Mitsu that I bought last July; we're moving, and I'll finally have room for a larger screen (I'll be building it actually).

I wanted to get anyone's advice as to what to look for, and any specific recommendations. I want to use it for Directv (standard def), DVD (denon 2900) and probably sometime this year upgrade to HD Directv. I'll probably have Gregg Loewen do the calibration.

Any suggestions? I'm not even sure what to look for in the vein of the projection technology (lcd, etc) so I could definitely use a push in the right direction.

Thanks to all of you in advance!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
First you need to decide between an LCD or DLP projector(you need to see both types in person),a 480p or 720p projector, and what is your budget just for projector? Check out Projectorcentral.com if you haven't already.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
what do you mean probably ?? ( :) )

Hi K! first you have to think about your budget.

For around $1000 the 4805 (or 4806 or whatever the current model is)

To up from there, I really like the Panny AE700 for around 2000.

There there are some basic HD2Plus projectors around 5000.

Higher end are the Infocus 7210, Marantz 12s3 or 4, Runco 710, Sharp 12000 (they might be up to a 14000 by now). Etc

regards

gregg

John S

Senior HTF Member
yeah, in Front Projos, budget will dictate products more than anything else as Gregg as indicated.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

You missed the new, lower priced, HD2+ projectors, the Toshiba MT700, and the Benq 7700. The Toshiba is available now, and the Benq will be available later this month. They come in at about 2500-3000.

Jason

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
As for the standard def TV viewing, keep in mind that your projector's bulb life's clock will be ticking as you are watching the Bud Light commercial. Most projectors these days range anywhere from 2000 to 4000 hours before the bulb needs replacement but they can go even before then in some cases. Do you need the proceedings of the TV sale to finance the projector? If not, can you keep the TV for regular TV viewing and purchase the projector for movie and Hdef viewing?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I recommend what Neil is saying. Keep your RPTV for regular TV viewing and then get yourself a motorized screen that drops down in front of the RPTV and use it to watch movies and HiDef on. The bulb in your FPTV will last a lot longer that way.

Kincade

Second Unit
Wow, thanks to all of you for the posts; for some reason I didn't get any notifications that there were any replies! Nice...

Greg - my budget will be $1500-2500; that's pretty hard though, as I'll still need the screen and your expensive, er, expertise. :D

I'm having a hard time here finding places to demo these, as everyone seems to just have them in the middle of a room shooting on to the wall. :angry: You'd think they'd at least spend some time with lighting control...

When you guys talk about HD2Plus, is that the chip? As opposed to DLP and LCD?

Niel and Parker; It's gotta be one or the other unfortunately. I need the funds from the RPTV, and my main reason for selling it is the acoustic nightmare it presents to my 2 channel listening. That 65" reflective surface in the middle of the room has met its end with me... I'm aware of the lamp life issues though; I just don't see a way around it; maybe I could buy a 25-30" plasma later and hang it on the wall???

Keep 'em comin though! I can definitely use the help! Reading on projectorcentral, the Panny really looks to be good for my uses... And the occasional gaming console if that presents itself.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
I recently upgraded to Sony HS51 and a 96" Carada Brilliant white. I was previously using a Boxlight Matinee 1 HD(Sanyo Z1) on a DIY Parkland Plastics screen and was perfectly happy but I like the new setup a lot better.

I couldn't take the rainbows on the single chip DLP's in my price range so I went with LCD both times now and have been very happy.

Also, to save on PJ lamp life, I put a 27" tv on a shelf below the PJ screen for regular tv viewing. It gets used very, very rarely...YMMV

BTW, the HD2+ is a DLP chip.

Kincade

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Rin; I wondered about the HD2+; so that is a new chipset that is better than the older ones?

Mike.N

Grip
Recently got the Toshiba MT700 which has the HD2+ chip. Haven't even tuned it. Right out of the box it looks great! But it you won't be sorry (check out if rainbows effect you or yours). Start with BO cloth first - cheap and you can see what size you like.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Blackout cloth. Commonly used as backings for curtains to keep the light out.

Jason

Kincade

Second Unit
Aaaah; so you're saying to use cloth to 'mask' an area for a screen on the wall to see what size i like?

Mike.N

Grip
Yep, just go down to Joanne's or the like pick up say 9' linear of BO cloth. Then go to Home Depot and buy a 9' 1x3", a couple of hooks, metal chain and something to stick into the ceiling or wall.

Staple or nail BO cloth to 1X3
Screw two hooks onto top of 1X3
Choose where you'd like your screen to be, put wall/ceiling attachment there.
Put on chains
Hang screen hooks on chains.

Now play with viewing height as well as width. Once you find what looks best to you, you can either build a more robust DYI screen or just buy one that meets you sizing needs. Cheap too spend $20 and see what you like rather than to spend at least a couple of hundred and find the screen's just not the right size (and brightness).

Kincade

Second Unit
Mike,

Does joanne's call it 'blackout cloth' or is there another name?

Thanks for the tip!

Mike.N

Grip
Most fabric stores will recognize it as black out cloth.

If's there's an issue, it is a cloth that's used to back up curtains. One side is slightly rubbery the other fabric.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Kincade,
if you plan on watching tv on it or playing a lot of video games, I would go with a DLP projector with a three color wheel. There is no burn-in with DLP so all those station logo's and game stats won't ruin your projector.

Also, I have the Infocus X1 and the warranty program over at Infocus is so good and they take care of their customers so well that I just run the damn thing without worry. If it breaks they will repair it or replace it. That's not to say be completely reckless with it, you should clean the bulb screens every once in a while and make sure the lens is kept clean and covered with the lens cap when not in use.

Good luck. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kincade

Second Unit
John; could you explain why the DLP would be better than the LCD for gaming? I was under the impression that neither would burn in, and that the 'rainbow' problems manifest themselves most strongly in fast action panning scenes (which most of the gaming I do would definitely qualify for).

Users who are viewing this thread