going to pull trigger: JBL NSP1's or AR HC-6? no auditioning possible

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by calvin_b, Apr 11, 2004.

1. calvin_b

calvin_b Stunt Coordinator

how would you guys base a purchase w/o the test drive? the JBL's are not available anywhere near me to be auditioned. best buys around here don't even carry it, and you gotta be lucky to get it from their site (always back-ordered). not to mention there are no retailers near me that carries acoustic research products.

next best this is research and hear opinions, and between these 2 sets, theres nothing but good things. the JBL w/ a dayton sub would come out to almost the full set of the HC6.

basically, which do you suggest for: 1- 99% movies, 2- 10' x 24' room, of which the HT will consist of only half w/ 3 walls and an open end. thanks for all the help!

2. calvin_b

please?

3. Jim Sit

Jim Sit Extra

For what its worth, I purchased the NSP1's without auditioning for the same reason, since they've been phased out by JBL. I figured that if I wasn't happy with them, I would either return them or sell them on ebay, since they continue to be popular with many people.

I bought them based on all of the good things I heard about them relative to their price, and I haven't been disappointed. I upgraded from Yamaha bookshelf speakers, and noticed a definite improvement in the soundstage and balance due to the timbre matching. I also have similar room dimensions to you.

My only caution would be to ensure that you have a decently powerful receiver, as these speakers need a little more juice than my last speakers did. I have a Yamaha HTR-5560.

4. calvin_b

i have an onkyo ht-r500 that supposedly puts out 100wrms to all channels. perhaps i should get the nsp1s because best buy would take returns on them if i didnt like them. no way of doing so for the HC6's.

5. Amano Ai

Amano Ai Agent

calvin_b, I have the JBL NSP speaker set and I like it. It's my first surround set and it suits our theater use fine. Based on your 99% theater use, I think you'll like it, I'm probably 90-95% HT myself.

I have not seen the AR HC6 personally but it does look like a beautiful finish and others have all described the set as that way.

Depends on a few factors here; if there is a WAF, AR-HC6 would definitely meet it, in terms of purely sound, JBL may have the edge (just based on specs as I have not heard the HC6).

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. One more thing to add here, isn't the HC6 harder to fine even online and is AR still around to support it? That may cause problems with service if needed.

6. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

7. calvin_b

theres your answer, right there!