What's new

Going to Boston Saturday. Suggestions for what to do? (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm going to Boston Saturday with a group of people from school. We're going to the Boston Museum of Science for part of the day, and then doing whatever the hell we want to do. So, can anyone familiar with the city please give me an idea of some things that I may want to do? Preferably stuff within the vicinity of the Science Museum, if there's anything around there. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
definately hit Quincy Market... that is my favorite place in the city.
Oh... and watch out for the BIG DIG as it has basically screwed up the entire city BIG TIME.
------------------
robpic2.jpg

My DVD Collection/ AIM: roblutter/ email:[email protected]
"Why, that's the biggest Kahn since Genghis" -Sealab 2021

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Before moving out to San Francisco, I lived in New England for 4 years (greater Boston and Nashua, NH). To tell you the truth, I am not a fan of Boston. (Then again, I lived near Albany for 3 years also, at RPI in Troy. Now that's a depressing place.
tongue.gif
)
Still, there are things to see and do in Boston (e.g., usual historical sites). My favorite is chic Newbury Street, followed by Quincy Market. But for real fun, head north to Harvard Square in Cambridge. Harvard Square is rather small, but it's fun to just walk around and stare at people. It is home to one of my favorite restaurants, Fire + Ice (be prepared for LONG wait). Many youthful clubs and great live music are also there.
If you ask me, the single best place to visit in entire New England is stunningly beautiful Ogunquit, Maine. But I digress.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Hey Scott,
I also recommend hitting Faneul Hall and Quincy Market. From the Museum of Science, you aren't that far away from it. You are within walking distance of The Fleet Center, and Cambridgeside Galleria (with my Best Buy in it!). Hell, actually everything in Boston is within walking distance.
Check out Copley Square, Kenmore Square, Lansdowne Street, Downtown Crossing, Boston Common... also ya gotta hit Harvard Square.
Once you're downtown, you're right near most of the historical stuff (Rev. war graveyard, USS Constitution, etc...)
check out this site: Wizeguides
Its the best Boston site out there.
Heres how to get to a few of the big spots:
Quincy MarketFaneul Hall- green line to Gov't Center
Museum of Science- green line to Science Park
Cambridgeside- green line to Lechmere
Kenmore SquareLansdowneFenway Park- green line to Kenmore
Boston Common- greenred line to Park Street
Harvard Square- red line to Harvard
MIT- red line to Kendall
Newbury Street- green line to Hynes Convention Center
PrudentialHancock buildings- green line to Copley
If you need anything just send me an email and I'll give you some more places to check out. Keep in mind that you really can't get lost in Boston. Area wise, the city is so small that if you walk for 10-15 minutes eventually you are going to find your way back to a main road. Take care and have fun in Boston!
[Edited last by Steven K on October 30, 2001 at 08:30 AM]

Tommy G

Screenwriter
The only reason I go into Boston anymore is for the North End. Great Italian eats. Go there and get some dinner (any place you walk into will undoubtedly be great) and then walk around and get some pastries and coffee later. Makes a great night.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I grew up in and around Boston.
My favorite activity during the day is to start at the Mass. Ave end of Newbury street and walk all the way down to the Commons. Walk across the commons until you get to Park Stree T Station, and take a right.
Across the street from this station is Downtown Crossing, which is another really nice shopping area. The streets are brick, and pedestrian only.
Walk a straight-line through this street and you'll find Quincy Market is ahead of you. Quincy Market has some great eateries inside food-court style, and some interesting shops.
Right before you get to Quincy Market, you'll find the Holocaust memorial, which I recommend you walk through. There are four or five glass towers. This is a very moving experience. It's a very well made monument.
At night I would suggest Landsdown street for typical clubs. If you have a preferred type of club, post it and I'll tell you what's best. Axis and Avalon are probably the best typical Dance club on the block.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The Aquarium is better than the Museum of Science, IMO, so if you can only do one...
And the Aquarium is within easy walking distance of Quincy Market/Fanuel Hall and the North End. I would suggest morning in the market and the Aquarium, then walk over to the North End for lunch and then some espresso and ricotta pie at one of the many cafes (try Caffe de la Sport or the Pompeii Cafe), then pick up some cannoli and other Italian pastry for the road at Mike's Pastries (Mike's and most of the cafes are on Hanover Street).
Then take the T over to Harvard Square for the afternoon - enjoy the street scene and shops, etc.
Head back to the Boston side of the Charles River for an evening stroll down the Esplanade and Newbury Street (maybe Boylston Street, if you have the time), and ultimately for dinner. If you want to go real expensive, you can't beat L'Espalier (just off Newbury St.). There are plenty of steakhouses in the area (Grill 23, Morton's - also very expensive). An excellent, moderately priced Mexican restaurant is Casa Romero (in an alley parallel to Newbury, just around the corner from L'Espalier). Though you may get plenty of recommendations, I would avoid Legal Seafoods. I haven't enjoyed a meal there in ten years (and I keep kicking myself everytime I go back). There are also tons of good Japanese/sushi restaurants on Boylston (one per block), but my favorite Japanese place is Fugakyu in Coolidge Corner.
If you have time, you might also want to check out Charles Street and the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Very romantic, very olde Boston. Charles Street also has some great restaurants. My favorite is Lala Rohk, a Persian place just off Charles Street.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah... and the Public Gardens and the Boston Common. You can't miss the Public Gardens! If you're in this area for a stroll around dinner time, consider the Hampshire House. It's upstairs from the Bull and Finch ("Cheers"), but it's a very elegant, library-type setting overlooking the Public Garden. Usually, there's a nice jazz trio playing. Good food and not terribly expensive.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the great suggestions everyone. As for how much time we'll have there, I'm not sure of all of the specifics, but we're leaving Albany at about 6:45-7 am and driving up to the city. We're then going to take the MBTA to the Museum, where we'll spend "part of the day," according to the person setting up the trip, and we're going to be leaving between 6:30 and 7 pm. I think I'll probably go to the Planetarium to see the new "Skyfire" show, and then take up some of your suggestions.
As for Quincy Market, I went there once a couple years ago, and I wasn't too thrilled with it.
According to weather.com the high's going to be 68(!) Satursay, with a slight 10-12 mph breeze and just a 10% chance of rain, so it looks like it'll be a pretty good day to just take a walk around the city. I think I'll probably try to check out Harvard Square for part of the day.
Keep the suggestions coming. :)

Steven K

Supporting Actor
They just opened up the Aquarium T stop last night... it had been shut down for a long time due to flooding from the Big Dig.
The North End is great, definitely check it out. Harvard is really cool, although many of the people I have met in the coffee shops and such are pretentious as hell ("I'm better than you because I have a Harvard education.") But, it is a cool place to hang out if you meet the right people.
The Freedom Trail is always fun, as are the Duck tours that leave from the Pru.
Newbury street is a cool atmosphere but forget about buying anything there.
My experience with Legal Seafood hasn't been bad, but there are better places. Atlantic Seafood Co. on Boylston is really good. Theres a kick ass Indian place at Harvard (Bombay House). But by far the best place to eat is Quincy market (unless you are looking for Romantic).
I'm with Al, the aquarium is very cool and probably better than the Museum (although the Metallica laser show was sooooo cool).
Also Im not sure if going to the movies is something you wanna do in Boston but just in case, there is a very decent indie theater at Kendall on the Red Line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks