What's new

Shin Godzilla (2016) (1 Viewer)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
As near as I can tell - news as of about 6 months ago - is that we have no idea. We don't know if it'll be dubbed in English (English dubbing for Asian media outside of anime has kind of fallen out of vogue in the last 10 years) or what kind of release it will get. And we don't even know who will be getting the stateside distribution rights (most in the know suspect Warner Brothers, though).

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Is this being released here?

And the brand new answer is yes!

FUNimation Entertainment announced at Comic Con International in San Diego on Thursday that it will release TOHO's Godzilla: Resurgence (Shin Godzilla) film. Funimation plans to release the film in theaters in late 2016.

Thank you Anime News Network!

So I wonder if Funi will dub it? They've got a pretty robust dub staff and some reasonably deep pockets on a property that should sell well enough if a dub is laid down.

Either way - good news! Seeing a Godzilla movie in the theater is ALWAYS a fun time!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
what the aversion to showing this in cinemas with subtitles?

For me? Nothing. But the targeted audience (teens on up, disaster/monster movie fans) would hate that. It means you have to actively keep track of the action AND dialogue...not something the MAJORITY of them would want to do. Even Ringu, ended up as an art house pic until the US remake came out.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
For me? Well it really depends on my mood - if I want the purity of the original and don't mind paying a little bit extra attention or I just want to chill on the couch and tune out. However a dub would certainly increase DVD sales and the overall accessibility of the product.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Kotaku says: "This isn’t one of the best Godzilla films ever made, but it’s certainly not one of the worst by any stretch, either. For every exciting or compelling moment, there are more that drag on and are in desperate need of edits. I kept checking my watch, waiting for the movie to build, but it never did beyond a feeling of uneasiness. Godzilla Resurgence is a series of compelling ideas in a so-so Godzilla movie."

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
How about a poster?
shingodzillausposter.jpg

Plus how about a list of screenings? Although this cant be the final list - Washington has one theater showing Godzilla and it's not Seattle? Just a tiny town on the deserted side of the state? That cant be right.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hold out hope, my friend. Seattle is a pretty major market and we just out our showings released. You might get yours soon enough.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
God, Ifukube's Godzilla theme makes me so happy. When the "Ba-ba-bum-baaaaa" drops, you know shit just got real.

Also, apparently the tickets have gone on sale. (SOUND WARNING - Godzilla's roar is really loud when you load that page). Looking over the list, there's a ton more theaters than first posted. Seattle has like 8 theaters showing it now.

Last edited:

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
A local theater just put tickets on sale and it seems each day will only have one showing. I'm shocked "this" theater got it since I honestly can't remember the last time they played a foreign movie.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Holy Crap! My local theatre has a 7:30 PM listing for one night only. My town wasn't listed in Tony's link above before and there aren't any town's listed now. That site has a Google maps link that does have my town included. I thought it was going to be a long shot but my theatre does show all of the Fathom events. There's hope!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks