GODZILLA Monster Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Roy Batty, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez
    Please, someone who owns the recent "Monster Edition" re-release of Emmerich's GODZILLA (1998), could confirm whether the trailers have been ported from the old edition?

They are not listed among the extra features, as seen on the back cover on DVDEmpire.com, but I really see no reason to exclude them this time around (although I am afraid it will be so).

This film happens to be a guilty pleasure of mine (what can I say? It is a true audiovideo demonstration, and it never seemed so bad to me in the first place...) but I refrained from buying the old release, for the lackluster video transfer. Since this cheap re-release have been given the anamorphic treatment, I was thinking of snatching a copy, but I would not want to miss the funny teaser included in the previous release, the one with Godzilla's leg interrupting a school's museum tour.

Thank you for your help.

2. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek

The original is anamorphic (and is one of Sony's better transfers). Unless I'm missing something, buying the "new" edition would only net you the animated episodes (if you want them), and the "stunning" new PSP (Paint Shop Pro) artwork. I would look for the original version at Wally World in the $5.50 bin.....

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Won't be getting this one because it lacks the DTS track. For me, the cartoon series was pretty wack anyway, not worth buying for it. I was really hoping for a Superbit on this one. [​IMG]

4. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

I always found it odd that the Superbit that has been available for quite some time overseas never made it to the U.S. Market.

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Nope - no trailers on the new DVD...

6. Roy Batty

Roy Batty Second Unit

Jose M Mendez
    Thank you all for your help.

I am sure I read a brief review of the new release stating that this one was anamorphic unlike the old one, hence my confusion.

As for the transfer picture quality, the old edition always seemed to me full of pixelation artifacts.

But since everything seems to indicate that the new edition carries most probably the same transfer, and trailers got lost along the way, I will make sure of snatching one of the old copies before they disappear.

So no improvements on the audio/video department, fewer extra features (I've got no interest at all in the cartoons) and an uglier cover... I really do not understand the rationale behind this re-release.

Thanks again.

7. AndrewR

AndrewR Stunt Coordinator

BTW, the three cartoons on the Monster Edition are already available on DVD (one from each of the three Gino: Animated Series discs).

8. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

"I really do not understand the rationale behind this re-release."

Think of a big hairy ape atop the Empire State building. Ah. Understanding is now yours, Grasshopper.

A true Special Edition of this film would be an empty box.

9. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino

*FART* [​IMG]