What's new

GODZILLA is coming! (1 Viewer)

John KB

Second Unit
Larry, if you have anymore views to share on Godzilla against Mechagodzilla 2003, I'd love to hear them. Someone told me Godzilla was barely in it!
If you have time to share some more thougths, that would be appreciated, thanks.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

I totally agree with that. I think Angilas would have been a good choice over Baragon. Recalling a film with Godzilla fighting Angilas and killing him was interesting to see then and would have been just as interesting here. The last time Baragon was used, it was a flesh eating monster against Frankenstein. Now that's something I can't wait to see on DVD.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Crap, I don't where to begin ( I don't want to post any a spoilers .) lol. As I posted earlier the opening rocks. It is defiantely one of my favorites out of every G-film. The basic plot is that the Defense force uses the dna from the very first Godzilla (1954) to make a new bio-robot=Mecha Godzilla. It also ties in other movies in the Toho universe via flashbacks. (Mothra 1961, War of the Gargantuas. don't get your hopes up it is only stock footage from these films ). It is nice to see some continuity.

As for Godzilla being barely in it. Well there is a pretty long break in the middle of the movie with no Godzilla.

There is one special effects shot I really did not care for. It occurs during the first encounter between Godzilla adn Mechagodzilla. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Not to give to much away but it seems they just stood the Godzilla suit up on the set with no one in it. (When you watch you'll see.) Other than that the action scenes are pretty entertaining.

I apologize if am am rambling and for grammar errors. I am at work and the boss is roaming by my desk.
:D

If anyone else saw G. vs. MG 2003 I would love to hear their thoughts also!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Talking about special effects not cared for to much. In Godzilla vs. Megaguiras the scene that made me laugh was:

When Megaguiras was flying and you can see the nylon wire attached to both wings and body.
. Memories of the older movies.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the movies are terrific! Alas, I wish the same could be said for the PQ on ADV's discs. The first is non-anamorphic (it's their VHS transfer merely ported over), and II and III are kinda' soft and have a serious lack of decent black levels. I suspect ADV merely did the best they could with the materials They were given. The extras are great though, and ADV did go to the trouble to sub all the interviews, something even the R2 box set did not have.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I have seen it - well at least the 1st & 3rd entries. They were good but I was never really into the Gamera series growing up so I didn't get into it as much as I did with GMK.

Well anyway I'm still interested in seeing vs. MechaGodzilla & S.O.S. when they reach DVD as long as they give us what we got this go round (OSL, Un-cut).

Though it would be fantastic to have Kaneko do another Godzilla film in the future.

John KB

Second Unit
Thanks guys. Even though the movie is arriving on dvd at the end of March, I still bought the vcd off of ebay last week, so I hope to watch it as soon as I get it, and then again when it comes out on DVD.

One thing that worried me is that even though I really liked the human story and acting in Megaguirus, I thought the editing was a bit slapshot (is that the right word?!), and the fight scenes weren't very imaginative. I also thought the miniature sets looked a lot more fake than say GMK, for example.
Dont' get me wrong, I loved the movie, it's just that the same director that did Megaguiurs did G vs. Mecha 2003. So I thought some of these complaints would resurface.

Thanks larry! I can't wait to see this!
And Jerome, I did notice the Motra thing LOL.

John KB

Second Unit
This quote had me a bit worried:

http://www.clubtokyo.org/monsterzero...&contentID=291

"GxMG is flawed, though. Perhaps the most obvious is that Godzilla himself seems underused. Not only did it seem that he was only in 3 or 4 major scenes, but (as has been noted elsewhere), it felt as if they had forgotten to put someone in the costume at times. Sometimes, he was very dynamic. At other times he barely blinked, let alone moved. Kiryu, on the other hand, definitely took center stage in this film, and was much more than a missile/beam platform with legs. However, I really hope this imbalance is addressed in the upcoming Godzilla X Mothra X MechaGodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. , but with so many characters and kaiju, that may be difficult. I also found much of the editing atrocious, which may have lent to the feeling that Godzilla was not reacting in parts of the battle scenes. Finally, I felt that some of the material (both in the story and in certain SFX shots) were repeats of recent Godzilla films, almost as if they were trying to get it right this time."

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Maybe it's because I watched it right after I watched the GMK disc, but I was disappointed with vs. Megaguirus. the battles were a little too jokey, too much (sub-par) CGI, and that youngish computer "expert" annoyed me. I'll have to watch it again soon and give it another chance, but right now it's the Space Godzilla of the series for me.

...Okay, maybe not quite that bad (!)

I liked MechaGodzilla quite a bit better.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Correct me if I'm wrong. I saw "Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah" recently on Sci-Fi channel. Ghidorah is clearly the same monster as the three-headed beast in "Destroy All Monsters," but wasn't his name back then "Ghidrah" (without the middle 'o')?

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
The monster has always been "King Ghidora" as far as the original Japanese dialogue goes (you can even hear Nick Adams pronounce it that way in "Monster Zero"). The "Ghidrah" shortening was something done by the US distributers of the first film it appeared in.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
What's wrong with Space Godzilla? I love that entry in the series.

Anyways, I watched GMK the other night and thought it was just brilliant. Definitely the best Big G films in a long time. I would've really liked to have seen Angilas in this film over Mothra, but I am glad that King Ghidorah was included. I'm so pleased with this film though, and can't wait for Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Very much agree. I've heard that he is definitely interested, even with the ridiculously short 10 month schedule Toho gave him to helm GMK (Daiei gave him quite a bit more time but less $$ to make his Gamera films).

The best kaiju director since Honda!

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Just thought I'd mention that I went out and got:
GMK, G v M, and Gamera 1 today. I have watched Gamera and loved it, now I need the other 2!
Can't wait to watch the big G flicks!

John KB

Second Unit
Jim, when you say 10 months, is that for everything? Usually the actual shooting only takes around 3 months.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Yeah, from what I've heard, that's 10 months for pre-production, post-production, live action and effects shooting, everthing. 10 months from somebody saying, "let's make a Godzilla movie", to prints being made of the finished film.

I've heard Daiei gave him closer to 2 years to do each Gamera film, but not as much money as Toho.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Speaking of original Japanese dialogue - Is it possible to get the original Japanese Godzilla (sans Raymond Burr)? With subtitles?
Yes, but not English subtitles. The release in Spain is OSL with Spanish subtitles. Why they will allow OSL with Spanish subs but not English subs makes no sense whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks