What's new

GODZILLA is coming! (1 Viewer)

John KB

Second Unit
Mark, I've read other reviews for GMK and edge enhancement issues are not mentioned. At least not to the degree you are speaking of. Could anything else have been the problem?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well compared to how Godzilla Film usually Fare on DVD I'll take a bit of EE.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

While it's true as consumers we should demand (nicely, though ;) ) from the studios the best product possible, it is a little ironic to hear complaints about the not-completely perfect PQ on our uncut, anamorphic-widescreen, dubbed and subbed godzilla DVDs...!

Plus, these are much better IMO than ADV's Gamera discs. Those disappointed me (though the extras are nice).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
As I said last page but no one seems to be reading, the Rialto page that's linked says "coming to theaters only."
Hey, sorry Mark, I didn't notice your post.
That sucks if true but at least I will get to finally see it in the theater.

John KB

Second Unit
Well I just watched Godzilla vs. Megaguirus. I started out with the english dubs. I'm used to seeing them that way, and it was always part of the charm of the series for me.
About 10 minutes in though, I switched to the Japanese track and never switched back.
I really enjoyed the movie, although the final battle scene is a bit unispired. I thought the leads and story were fairly strong for the first 70 minutes or so, but the final third could have been better.
All in all though, I'd definitely recommend it to fans of the series and I can't wait to watch GMK!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well I for one was mightily impressed with GMK.

While I did grow up watching all the original G films (50's - 70's), the Godzilla as Superhero - Defender of the Earth aspect really doesn't resonate with me as an adult.

GMK is a great throwback to the glory days of the Godzilla film series (54 - 64). In fact it's the best of the series since 64's Godzilla vs. Mothra IMO.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
While the Rialto re-release is in theaters only, I remember one thread mentioning that most (or all, I can't remember) Rialto releases ended up as Criterion discs. And Criterion did want to release Gojira w/ subs back in 1998 on laserdisc for the new movie. Either Toho or Sony put the kibosh on it.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Where are the Home theater reviews of these discs? :) . It is great to finally have quality releases of Godzilla films on dvd over here in the U.S.

Support these releases so we get more of the same!!!:emoji_thumbsup:

John KB

Second Unit
Just watched GMK. Great entry in the series. I love the wisecrack towards the American version. Good action scenes.

Why did they change the look of Godzilla though? The last few entries I thought he looked great, very menancing. This time out, he looked quite a bit different. Maybe more of a mix of the newer Godzilla, plus the original. Is there a link that explains all his different make overs?

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

The "Millenium" series of films, which started with Godzilla 2000, has been known as the series that really doesn't have any continuity between the films. All have been essentially different (and stand-alone) takes on the character and history up until the latest release, Godzilla, Mothra, MechaGodzilla: Tokyo SOS, which is a direct sequel to the one before it (Godzilla against MechaGodzilla, the next to come out in R1).

The tradition has also developed that Godzilla's appearance can change some from film to film, going back all the way to the first sequel, Godzilla's Counterattack (he looked even more different in the second sequel, King Kong vs. Godzilla). Because fans accept and even expect some change to his look from film to film, each director of the individual films feels free to tweak the look of the big guy to his personal preference.

Shusuke Kaneko, the director of GMK, simply had a different approach to Godzilla's appearance from what he looked like in the two Millenium series films prior to GMK.

I personally love the look of the big guy in GMK, and ain't too crazy about his appearance in vs. Megaguiris; but to each his own of course! :)

John KB

Second Unit
Jim, have you heard any word as to when Godzilla against MechaGodzilla is being released in R1?

John KB

Second Unit
Found it. March 23rd.

I was going to show the DVD cover, but couldn't figure out how to insert an image. Sorry.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
While I liked the new Godzilla, I really disliked the look of Barigon and Ghidorah.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well picked up both of them on Friday and watched GvM and first I saw this on on a tape, but the DVD was a pleasure to watch. Nice bass but I think Godzilla All out attack was clearly the best sounding film so far between the both of them.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Yeah, I know what you mean. I kinda' like Baragon, and I love the scenes of him clomping through the countryside (esp. the shot when you see the birds scatter right before he comes meandering through the trees!), but Ghidorah's design is kinda' clumsy looking. His wings are too small, his feet are too big and his necks are too short.

Perhaps Kaneko felt he needed to change Ghidorah's appearance significantly because he was gonna' be a good guy in this movie, as opposed to the villian he's been in every other incarnation.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I thought All Out monsters attack to be fantastic. And I thought the Big G to be truely Menacing here. I love the scene where the girl thinks she's out of Danger as Godzilla passes by her hospital window. I thought the suit in Megaguiras was more of a throw back to the 60's version. As actually was the whole Megaguiras film, the idea of a Black Hole machine was really silly, I thought GMK had a better Mystical appoach.
Altough Megaguira was fun too !

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Just watched Godzilla vs. Megaguirus which I might have liked better if I hadn't seen the brilliant GMK before it. It was actually pretty entertaining in a Cheesy sort of way. Some of the fx shots were good, some were rather sloppy such as seeing the wires for Megaguirus, the slo-mo of Godzilla in the long shots, etc. All in all a good time waster if you're a Godzilla fan.

Getting back to GMK. I was all juiced up for seeing Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla but after doing a little research I found out it wasn't Directed by Shusuke Kaneko (GMK) and it's not a sequel to GMK. :frowning:

What was the public reception to GMK in Japan? Was Kaneko not offered another directing gig for a reason, or is he just not interested in doing another Godzilla film?

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
I am not an expert but from what I read Kaneko wanted to use Angilas and Varan instead of Mothra and King ghidorah. Toho forced him to change monsters in hope of better box office results. I think GMK was one of the better grossing Godzilla films in recent years. I am not sure any of the recent movies have topped it. (I could be incorrect though). The Ghidorah suit is pretty lame.

If you liked GMK do yourself a favor and watch the 1990's Gamera trilogy(subbed preferably). You won't be dissappointed. :emoji_thumbsup:

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2003 is entertaining but a little weak on story. It really reminds me of a summer movie for some reason. It does however have a great opening sequence. One of the better Godzilla openings in a while.

Now I realy hope we get Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, Mothra Tokyo S.O.S which just came out in Japan in Dec. 2003. It continues the story from where Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla leaves off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks