What's new

Godzilla Final Wars U.S. Release? (1 Viewer)

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if this is going to get a U.S. release here soon? I heard a select few got to see it in hollywood this past week.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, it hasn't even opened in Japan yet (that should happen later this month), so I don't imagine we'll see it much before March - although I have heard rumors that Sony does want to give it a big-ish US release (normally they just make prints available). I'm personally hoping for a preview at SF/30.

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
I beleive it opens up in Japan on December 4. Just hoping to get a chance to see it on the big screen soon.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg

Works for me. If Sony pushes this either in the spring or late summer, it could be a solid little moneymaker, what with the fanbase and the character recognition. (Then again, I thought Godzilla 2000 was going to make more than the $10-15 million it did.)

While I missed out on Godzilla 2000, I sure as hell won't miss this one, especially as the big fella will be facing off against the Emmerich/Devlin version of the character. It should be fun.

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
I've pretty much seen every Godzilla film that they ever released to the theaters... when they were shown over here. Seen all the DVD's including Tokyo SOS (not that great).

I read a review of Final Wars over at AICN... and it seemd campy like the 70's, but should be fun nontheless.

Let's hope Sony released it for their fans. Atleast were getting the DVD's now.

And as for the foght with Zilla (Our terrible version)... I heard it is cool, but short.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg

Even better. Seriously, one big Godzilla-sized smack across Zilla's chops, and the theater would probably go bananas. Matter of fact, I'd bet he'd go nuts, too. I remember the buildup to the American version and his excitement as the release date got closer. (He wasn't a happy man afterwards, as you'd expect.) As he's lived outside Tokyo since graduation, I'm willing to bet he's already got opening-night tickets.

StevenF

Stunt Coordinator
Amen to that. Been by Godzilla's side since I was a little kid of 7... I am now approaching 40. So I understand the fascination. Loved every Godzilla film from the origins of the 50-60's, through the campiness of the 70's -80's and into the more adult stuff of the 90's and beyond.

My favorites have been the more modern versions that went for realism or commentaries about society and the times. As also happned with the retelling or modern versions of the Gamera series.

Favorites one on the series would have to be...

Godzilla (Gojira 54): Still holds up today... even the special effects that are 40 years old. But you shold see the orignal Japanese version without Raymond Burr.

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters

Godzilla vs. Biollante

Godzilla vs. Mothra ('92)

Godzilla, Mothra, & King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (GMK): One, if not the best next to the original. Goes back to the evil badass Godzilla.

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
Toho is currently shopping for a U.S. distributor for Godzilla: Final Wars. Sony is in the running but it hasn't been picked up as yet.

It was a fun movie, but some Godzilla purists don't like it. It was so unconventional and different that it worked for me. I saw it at the world premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theater on November 29.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks