What's new

Godzilla DVD Movie Boxed Set Announced: Sept 5th (1 Viewer)

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
They're releasing the box set Fall of 2007 AFTER all the single editions are released. At the Wizard World con in Chicago, they hinted that the box set may contain "additional value content" whatever that means.

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
The box set was delayed for a number of reasons; among them, Classic Media recieved concerns that the market would be flooded if they released both the box set and the 2-disc edition of the first film on the same day. Also, there was extra effort made to locate better materials for the American versions of certain titles (namely "Godzilla Raids Again" and "Ghidrah"), which also delayed things.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Thanks for the info, guys. One thing still puzzles me, though. If the movies are being released separately this year, why I am only finding two additional titles right now? DDD is only showing Godzilla Raids Again and Mothra vs Godzilla. Incidentally, I believe the correct American title is "Godzilla vs Mothra" and the aspect ratio is shown here as 1.33:1 but I know the OAR is 2.35:1. I hope that's just a typo. Sadly, I'm not finding either Godzilla vs Monster Zero or Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. I hope the search for better materials comes quickly, but I don't see that they had to look too far. Other than the American language track, everything could be obtained from Toho no doubt. They've already released high-quality versions in Japan.

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator
They haven't actually announced any dates for the remaining four titles yet. Any aspect ratio listing you see on a retailer site is probably incorrect at this point.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Here are the specs of the Classic Media Godzilla releases as posted back in May on Monsterzero.com. Classic Media did confirm that all films will be presented in the OAR's.

GODZILLA/GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS 2 Disc Set

Disc 1:
GOJIRA
Uncut 1954 Japanese version with English subtitles
Commentary by Steve Ryfle (author of Japan's Favorite Mon-Star) and Ed Godziszewki (editor of Japanese Giants and author of The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Godzilla).
Photo Gallery
International Poster Gallery
Featurettes
Japanese Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2:
GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS
Uncut 1956 US version with opening logo and end credits (missing from previous video releases)
Commentary by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godzizsewski
Featurettes
US Theatrical Trailer
Godzilla DVD Collection

1. GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN
1955 Japanese version with English subtitles
Original US version GIGANTIS THE FIRE MONSTER (1959)
Commentary by Steve Ryfle
Photo Gallery

2. GODZILLA VS MOTHRA
1964 Japanese widescreen version with English subtitles
Original widescreen US version GODZILLA VS THE THING (1964)
Commentary by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godzizsewski
Photo Gallery

3. GHIDRAH THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER
1964 Japanese widescreen version with English subtitles
Original 1965 US version
Commentary by David Kalat (author of A Critical History and Filmography of Toho's Godzilla Series)
Photo Gallery

4. MONSTER ZERO
1965 Japanese widescreen version with English subtitles
Original 1970 widescreen US version
Commentary by Stuart Galbraith IV (author of Monsters are Attacking Tokyo)
Photo Gallery

5. GODZILLA'S REVENGE
1969 Japanese widescreen version with English subtitles
Original 1971 widescreen US version
Commentary by Richard Pusateri (writer for Cult Movies and SciFi Japan)
Photo Gallery

6. TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA
1975 Japanese widescreen version with English subtitles
Original 1978 US version with "History of Godzilla" prologue
Commentary by Keith Aiken (GODZILLA: THE SERIES, BFI GODZILLA DVD, and co-editor of SciFi Japan) and Bob Johnson (Markalite, co-editor of SciFi Japan, and organizer of the 2004 "Godzillafest" in San Francisco)
Photo Gallery

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'll definitely buy both, and I think it's a good decision to offer the original and "sequels" seperately since they are very different types of films.

I'm excited to see the packaging!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Here is the cover work for Godzilla Raids Again and Godzilla vs Mothra due 11/07/2006. The cover for Godzilla Raids Again lists it as Cinemascope but this was shot academy ratio so it is a misprint. Also it looks like each one will be a 2 disc set. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Originally Classic Media announced both the original Gojira 2 disc set and a 6 movie box set for Sept 5th. But at some time later cancelled/postponed the box set and decided to release the movies individually w/Godzilla Raids Again & Mothra vs Godzilla now slated for November 7th. The rest of the movies will follow at later dates. For a list of the movies & specs see post #25.

The 2 disc Gojira is still September 5th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks