God's Not Dead (2014), Blu-Ray coming Aug 5th.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kyrsten Brad, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    Brad here. Being of the Christian faith myself, I can't wait to get this movie on blu-ray (though I admit I did miss it during its theatrical run). Features Kevin Sorbo whom we all remember from the Hercules TV series. And if that isn't enough, Dean Cain (Superman from Lois & Clark TV series).
    (Ronald, feel free to put a HTF referral link in here).

Amazon Pre-Order Link

YouTube Trailer

God's_Not_Dead.jpg
    Excerpt from Wiki:
    Plot
    Josh Wheaton (Shane Harper), a Christian college student, enrolls in a philosophy class taught by Professor Jeffrey Radisson (Kevin Sorbo) who, as an atheist, demands that his students sign a declaration that "God is dead" to get a passing grade. Josh is the only student in the class who refuses to sign and is then required by Radisson to debate the topic with him, with the class members deciding who wins.
    Radisson's girlfriend, Mina (Cory Oliver) is a Christian whom he often belittles in front of his fellow atheist colleagues. Her brother Mark (Dean Cain) is a successful businessman and atheist who refuses to see their mother, who suffers from dementia. Mark breaks up with his girlfriend, Amy (Trisha LaFache), a left-wing blogger, when she is diagnosed with cancer. A girl named Ayisha (Hadeel Sittu), whose family (especially her father) are strongly devout Muslims, is secretly Christian; when her father discovers this, he throws her out.

Bob_S. likes this.
  2. vidiot33

vidiot33 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I missed this in the theaters too, but looking forward to watching it on Blue Ray. I'm an evangelical Christian too so I hope this finds a wide audience.

3. Jari K

Jari K Producer

"..so I hope this finds a wide audience."So it's a good movie?

4. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    The reviews have been pretty poisonous, my favorite one being from a reviewer named Ken Hanke of the Mountain Xpress (in Asheville, NC) which reads, in part "God may not be dead, but I'd be willing to wager this movie at least gave him a faint wave of nausea."

That being said, it has racked up a gross of over $60M since March so that's saying something.

In my opinion, the main conceit (that a professor would ever force students to declare that "God is dead" or face failure) seems a hysterical concept designed to play into the perceived persecution fears of its target audience. Additionally, the fact that all of the characters who are "not Christian" are drawn as villains does not bode well for it being anything other than an us vs. them propaganda piece.

5. Jack P

Jack P Producer

As one who is familiar with the world of academia, I can tell you the main conceit is anything but impossible. I have seen variations of it play out many times. As for the complaint about non-Christians being drawn as villains, I have also seen a good many more movies of the last few decades go out of their way to make the practicing Christian the only villain of the piece.

Bob_S. likes this.
  6. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Such as?

I am assuming you will be able to name something where the villian is not an extemist zealot...

7. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Making someone an "extremist zealot" Christian as the villain like in Scorsese's remake of "Cape Fear" is exactly what I have in mind. The original didn't give Robert Mitchum that kind of background. And on television, we had a series that called itself "Good Christian BItches" designed to specifically target and mock people of one faith which is in keeping with the prevailing stereotype of the devout Catholic or evangelical as an uptight, sexually repressed monster lying in wait that has also played out many a time on Law And Order and other TV programs and in films of the last few decades. Throw in the broad assaults on orthodox Christian belief in moves like "The Da Vinci Code" and its all the more reason why my heart does not bleed for those who complain about a film like this one being "us against them."

8. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    I'll survive...

9. Jari K

Jari K Producer

I find it interesting that there are "christian movies" (like this one apparently) and then there are "biblical movies" (like e.g. Noah). The former takes the religion kinda seriously (follows certain rules of the "true christianity" etc) and the latter mixes religious elements/biblical stories with entertainment. Then many people say that you can't mix religion with entertainment.One of my favourite religious films is actually "The Passion of the Christ". It was a really powerful experience and I'm not even religious.

10. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    I have always found The Passion of the Christ a moving experience!

11. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

I work at a "liberal" university. A professor would be fired for such behavior at this and every state school in "liberal" Oregon.

Will Krupp likes this.
  12. vidiot33

vidiot33 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Why sure: everyone knows alluniversity profs are conservative, God-fearing individuals!

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm sure it'll do no good but I'll remind everyone that we should be cool and remember the forum's rules.

14. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I've never heard of any philosophy professor asking any such thing. Sounds like he'd be asking for a lawsuit, at the very least.

15. Jari K

Jari K Producer

So, tell me about this film? Why should I watch it?