What's new

Godfather 4k (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My recollection is the same as Vincent's; Mr. Harris was very unhappy about the state of the *film elements* but wasn't too displeased with the video representations of The Godfather. Let me see....
Yes, I remembered correctly. From his 2000 interview with The Onion:
Robert Harris | The A.V. Club
"The Godfather is a mess. The Godfather is as bad as Rear Window."
Thankfully much has changed in the intervening eight years.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Mike Williams said:
That is incorrect. People complained about the DVDs, saying Paramount should have done a restoration, and Mr. Harris said they were not in need of a restoration and looked precisely as they should.
If a film is in dire need of restoration, then it couldn't possibly accurate represent the intended look of the film.
See Mark Zimmer's post and the link to the Onion interview from over 7 years ago with Robert Harris.
Also, a bad film element most certainly can be made to look good in telecine. The DVD of NORTH BY NORTHWEST is frequently praised, and yet it's known that the original film elements are in really bad shape. Robert Harris even said this way back in the early 1990s in an old interview for the Perfect Vision magazine. I'll dig out the actual issue one of these days and post the exact quotes if you still feel the need to continue bashing Robert on this issue.
Vincent

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
He mentions NxNW in the Onion interview too:

has been restored, but more damage was done than help. You have to know what you're doing, and it can't be done by bean counters.
Read the interview. It's one of the very best and most illuminating things I've ever read on film preservation.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
I think it would be great to have a follow up interview with Mr Harris or maybe even an HTF chat on how things stand 8 years on, particularly as this is his first big-release restoration since Rear Window over 10 years ago, an ideal time for cross promotion!
M

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I don't know what Mr. Harris said in "The Onion," but I do know what he said on HTF.
Well go and search for it. (There are more than a few relevant posts scattered across multiple years.) Your memory may be playing tricks on you.
-Reagan

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Love that Onion article, especially the comments about when he attends a movie and is up in the booth half the time. I can totally relate.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Mike Williams said:
I don't know what Mr. Harris said in "The Onion," but I do know what he said on HTF.
Well, the Onion article is linked in this very thread so you can easily go read it. Beyond that, I really don't know what you're trying to accomplish by continuing to bash Robert Harris on this issue.
Vincent

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Mike Williams said:
Perhaps you could give us a link to the specific quote you are talking about here on HTF?
Doug

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Here is a brief post from 2003 by RAH on the subject:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ml#post1718393
Here's another interview:
Jeff McNeal interviews Robert A. Harris
They spent a great deal of money on the project doing it through post-production (personnel), who don't know how to handle antique film, and (they) made a mess of it. They have no 35mm prints that can represent the film at this time. This is a subject that is just as well not gone into as things there may change. We'll see.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
For the record... I'm not one of the individuals with major problems in regard to the Godfather DVDs. And I'm unaware of any problems with the Oneg on Godfather 2.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...ther-dvds.html
(don't know if this helps or hurts the "Harris" arguement, however it is a quote here at HTF)
DANG!
Can you believe we have been waiting for these on SD DVD even; since '03?!?!?!
Hope they are OAR.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Now that these films will be restored and out on HDM. They will be placed on my priority list to purchase as soon as they are released! :emoji_thumbsup:
Godfather on Blu-ray ! :D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The thread suggested by Mr. St. Clair makes an interesting read, to which I have made some final notes and added thoughts.
RAH

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
The thread... makes an interesting read, to which I have made some final notes and added thoughts.
RAH
Thanks RAH; for an "interesting read"!
My favorite artist is Jimi Hendrix & things done to his original master tapes were criminal!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Ed St. Clair said:
Thanks RAH; for an "interesting read"!
My favorite artist is Jimi Hendrix & things done to his original master tapes were criminal!
Please explain what happened. You've got my interest perked up.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully Mr. Harris won't mind me posting this, but last night I was in an audience that also included Robert Harris, Allen Daviau, and Gordon Willis himself at the Jacob Burns Film Center in Pleasantville, NY, and the occasion was a surprise screening of a 35mm answer print of the newly-restored THE GODFATHER followed by a Q&A with the three gentlemen mentioned above, moderated by Janet Maslin. I became aware of the possibility of said screening while surfing around on-line and coming across the listing of "An evening with Gordon Willis part 1 and 2" at the Jacob Burns film center to be accompanied by a "surprise screening" of a different film each night. I couldn't help but guess that the screenings had to be the restored versions of the first two GODFATHER films, hence it being a surprise, and seeing as how Pleasantville is only about an hour and a half drive from me, I figured it was worth it to trek up there and check it out even if it turned out to be some other Gordon Willis film being screened with him in attendance and giving a Q&A.
When I saw a man who I recognized as being Robert Harris in the lobby, I knew my instincts were correct. As the screening was introduced, the audience was informed that we were about to see a very special print of a classic film that had undergone a full 4K digital restoration. The print in question was an answer print struck from the newly outputted restored negative, and some additional tweaks would still be done before arriving at the absolute final product. By this point I had no question what we were about to see, but the majority of the audience was still in the dark, as evidenced by the audible gasp and applause from the crowd as those familiar musical notes started playing over black.
So what did the restored print look like? Well, it looked like THE GODFATHER- that is, it looked as if back in 1972, the pristine and untouched original negative had been locked in a perfectly climate-controlled, hermetically sealed vault, and that vault was just opened and the still-pristine negative was used to strike a brand-spanking new print at the best film lab in the world. You'd never know there was ever anything wrong with the elements watching this print, but hearing of the condition of the negative during the Q&A all I can say is that the final result is a miracle. The texture and detail in the image is incredible- I literally felt like I was watching this great film for the first time ever.
That said, if some folks' issues with the current DVDs have to do with the aesthetic look of the film (i.e., "It's too dark! It's too grainy! The blacks are crushed!") as opposed to any condition issues regarding the elements, I don't know what they'll think of the restored print. It's the same stylized film, with Gordon Willis's super-deep, inky blacks and a palpable, textured grain structure alive and visible throughout. I can see the Blu-ray reviews already from certain circles- "Grain is apparent... shadow detail is wanting." This is not a film that looks like Discovery HD, it looks like THE GODFATHER and thankfully always will from here on out thanks to this heroic restoration.
On to the Q&A. Hopefully Robert will be able to chime in and give more details, but we were told that much of the negative had damaged or even completely missing sprocket holes, rendering it unprintable by any traditional means, and in some cases the sprocket damage extended into the frame area itself. Robert said that some shots were literally torn in half, with one half of the frame gone, and in some cases they actually had to go to the trims and replace shots (under strict guidelines from Francis Ford Coppola- that any replaced shots be indistinguishable from the original takes in the film under normal viewing conditions). That said, according to Daviau that actual images themselves between those torn sprocket holes were in good shape (I assume he was talking in regards to fading and such, not physical damage), it was just an issue of "harvesting" those images from such damaged original elements. We were told that one of Francis' main directives to Robert Harris and Allen Daviau was to "make Gordon Willis happy". Daviau's role on the project was as a translator of sorts for Gordon Willis's intentions, as Mr. Willis was unable to go to California to directly involve himself in the day-to-day operations of the restoration. Daviau was actually quite a trip to watch- he honestly seemed in awe of Mr. Willis. You could really see the love from one artist to another up on that stage.
As for Mr. Willis, this was actually his first viewing of the restoration, and he seemed extremely happy with the results, commenting that the color was "dead on". Even though I knew the answer due to things Francis Ford Coppola has said in interviews, I figured the audience might want to know so I asked Robert what changed things to make this restoration happen when he'd been talking about it needing to be done for so many years. "Steven Spielberg" was his answer, going to to explain that Steven insisted and Brad Grey at Paramount agreed that the film needed to be saved and thus the project was finally green-lit. Robert also said that it couldn't have been done a few years ago, "because we needed to do it 4K, 2K wasn't good enough to get all the information out of the negatives", and that he knew back in 1997 that the negative was for all intents and purposes at that point, "dead" due to the extensive damage after being shipped a print by Zoetrope to inspect. Robert also had very high praise for Steven Spielberg's long-time post-production supervisor, whose name escapes me at the moment* but apparently was an integral part of the restoration and in Robert's words (paraphrasing a bit) "truly understands film preservation".
As for any "issues" with the print, the only thing I noted was some slight color shifting at a couple of reel changes that occurred within scenes. I'm guessing the "final tweaks" for this "work in progress" as Allen Daviau called it probably have to do with smoothing over these slight bumps. All in all, last night was simply a magical evening, and I hope Paramount does the right thing and gives this some theatrical playdates. My only regret is that I was unable to attend "An evening with Gordon Willis part 2" which is happening tonight featuring a completely different "surprise screening". I think we can all guess what film that is, and I only wish I could be there basking in its restored glory right now.
Vincent
* The man in question is Martin Cohen- Martin Cohen (I) - and based on the praise that Robert Harris gushed towards him, he sounds like a true friend of film.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow, thanks for posting this Vincent. I'm envious of your experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks