What's new

Godfather 2 break point question (3 Viewers)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I couldn't find the answer in a previous thread:

Does the break in the Godfather 2 DVD come at an intermission (if the movie even has one) or does it simply stop after a scene?

I'm contemplating buying as a gift and I know the recipient is not too fond of flippers or movies over two disks even if it is done to maintain high image quality.

Thanks!

Paul

Britton

Screenwriter
The break in Godfather Part II comes after the scene in which Vito kills Don Fanucci and sits on the steps of his home with his family as they watch the parade. It's a really great place where they placed the break in the movie. Also, the recipient should be made aware that each of the 3 of the movies were split across 2 VHS tapes. At least now with the DVDs, there's only a break for Part II.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The break between DVD's on "The Godfather Part II" utilizes the intermission point of the original theatrical exhibition. It would have been nice to have it all on one disc but they couldn't have picked a more appropriate point to split the film.

CraigL

Screenwriter
The break between DVD's on "The Godfather Part II" utilizes the intermission point of the original theatrical exhibition.
This always fascinates me. What happened during the intermission for this? I know for musicals they sometimes had music that played. How did they structure intermissions? This really is a thing of the past for film.

CraigL

Screenwriter
well this makes sense, the godfather II is almost 30 years old.
Gee really? i hadn't noticed.

That's what i'm saying. It IS a thing of the past and I can't imagine having intermission at a movie now...if only because of the amount of people that would be able to sneak in and out of theaters without paying.

Not that it doesn't happen now.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
That's what i'm saying. It IS a thing of the past and I can't imagine having intermission at a movie now...if only because of the amount of people that would be able to sneak in and out of theaters without paying.
I've seen at least two movies theatrically within the past year that had intermissions, and no one bothered sneaking in during the second portion of the films, as far as I could tell. Why would anyone sneak into a 3+-hour film to see just the last hour? Why would more people do that than just sneak into the start of a regular (that is, non-intermission) film? How is there a greater risk of sneaking in because of an intermission? I don't see the problem.

DJ

CraigL

Screenwriter
OK wow forget it.

The main question that I had asked was what happened during an intermission for GF2. Did the lights just come up as in a theater piece? Was there any sort of music played?

I, for one, have never seen a movie with an intermission and I was wondering what that was like. I don't know what movies you've been seeing with intermissions but I'd like to know. It just seems foreign to me but apparently back then it wasn't as extremely rare as it is now.

And I didn't mean that people would sneak back in for the second half (although I know a lot of people that "2nd act" theater pieces). I meant that there would obviously be a larger amount of people leaving to get to the lobby, milling about and going back in. With today's multiplexes, things might get damn crowded.

I was just throwing it out there. Not trying to make a point so much as to ask questions. Sorry if i've confused.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My wife would like to see an intermission on every movie (small bladder : the curse of the female movie fanatic! :D )

I remember nothing but confusion and cursing during Strange Brew, but I guess that was nearly 20 years ago...

The only films I've seen with intermissions are LOA and Spartacus (Oh if only they didn't bulldoze the Meadowlark!) and both had music (similar to the DVD presentations). People would than mill around the lobby for 15 minutes, and the projectionist during Spartacus regaled us with the story of how he repaired a burn in the print.

Basically, your not missing much not having seen an intermission in the theater.

When you buy God 2, at the end of disk one, insert disc 2 and play the end titles so you hear the soundtrack music, than mill around your kitchen until you no longer hear it, than dash back to your seat in a panic, leaving behind small change (as I remember getting hosed at the concession during LOA), and enjoy the rest of the film. You will have just had an intermission experience in your own home.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator
Actualy, The Godfather part two had NO theatrical intermission (it has been mentioned this is the first film that ran over three hours without one. It was DESIGNED for an intermission, and yes, the DVD break IS where that intermission was supposed to come, but two weeks before release in December, 1974, Paramount decided to drop it after a sneak preview (it reportedly ha dbroken the momentum for audiences). A number of first-runs ran the 200 minute feature with only a 10 minute break between each showing (every three-and-a-half hours).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I, for one, have never seen a movie with an intermission and I was wondering what that was like. I don't know what movies you've been seeing with intermissions but I'd like to know. It just seems foreign to me but apparently back then it wasn't as extremely rare as it is now.
Seven Samurai, currently making the rounds as part of a Kurosawa/Mifune retrospective has an intermission and, at least in Dallas most everyone went into the lobby and/or to the restroom and returned. While this was not at a big multiplex, it was in a theatre with about five screens and this did not seem to cause any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks