What's new

Goatees: the new Mullet (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I've had mine (it's actually a beard, but I wear it a lot longer on the chin so as to give the proper goatish/satanic appearance) since fall of 1978 when I went to college (other than a job hunting stint in 1985). I am beyond trends. Eventually they all catch up with me. :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Id like to suggest to the guys who love to torment those with mullets listen to a song by The Vandals called I've Got A Ape Drape.
The first time I heard it I laughed and giggled thinking about it for a day.

My G/F works with me and was wondering what the hell it was I couldnt stop laughing at so I told her. She didnt get the Ape Drape thing so I drew a ape on her white board and pointed out the back of the neck and she finally got it.The drawing only made me laugh harder:D

Heres the lyrics.....

THE VANDALS LYRICS

"I've Got An Ape Drape"

Make it like that famous country singer
Or that guy I saw last night on Jerry Springer
Clean me up but let me keep my edge,
In the day i like to keep it dignified
But at night you know I got another side
And I don't give a damn,
Cause I am what I am
Even if it's really really bad.

I've got an Ape Drape,
Yes I do
They're givin' them to anyone,
And that means you
You can drive to Riverside and get one too
Then you'll have an Ape Drape like I do.

Go ahead and buzz 'round the ears
I've been growing that one braid back there for years
I've had it since the first time I saw Queensryche
The front may conform to society
But the back says I have personality
Even if it's really really,
Even if it's really really bad.

I've got an Ape Drape,
Yes I do
They're givin' them to anyone,
And that means you
You can drive to Riverside and get one too
Then you'll have an Ape Drape like I do.

Make it short in the front and long in the back!
If the top's not short enough that it stands up
I could be thrown out of the Bad Boy Club
But don't you lay a finger on my pony tail
Now fix my kid up so he looks like me,
And then matching crazy pants are all we need
Some may call it child abuse
I just call it bonding with your Dad.

Norce Neck Warmer......Norco
Hockey Hair.......Canada
Mullet.......Hoboken
Forbidden Hair......Europe
Shom......Florida

Joe Reinwald

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes you just see threads you can't resist!

I have a goatee, and have had it off and on (literally) for several years. Right now it's at about 2-1/2 inches in length, so I have this sort of hair-lump beneath my chin. I tried growing the mustache, and it was a definite no-no with the wife, plus it just didn't look right to me. I do keep the goatee trimmed pretty well, though, so she doesn't complain about it, nor do my bosses.

I went through a phase several years ago (I'm 26 now) where I just decided to grow it, and I got some piercings. Nothing too exotic these days--I had/have my left ear three times, my right ear once, and I had my tongue pierced. The goatee came out of that, and is the only part still remaining today (of course, I can still put in ear rings if wanted).

Now I wear it for a couple of reasons--I feel like I look about 8 when I'm cleanly shaven--that's the main reason. A close second reason is that I have not really a double-chin, more like a chin-and-a-half. Blame it on marriage--I have!

-Joe

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Funny that I should find this now as I'm thinking about shaving mine off for a while. Maybe it's an omen.

I originally grew it for a job that I had which had me traveling all over the U.S. I was having problems with clients not taking me seriously because I looked so young. I was 30 but looked 19. Once I had that goatee I was stopped in the security line for a drug/bomb powder inspection every other flight and never again had the problem with the customers. Weird but true.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Not only is it played out, just like Mullets many years ago I think it now stands as a similar monuement to wanting to look somewhat cool while still maintaining a respectable appearance so you can show up to work with it.
So true. :) It's sort of like the guy at the office who rebels against the button down conformity of the workplace by wearing ties with cartoon characters on them.

Plus, as MickeS pointed out, the abundance of goatees among professional athletes is another similarity with the mullet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks