What's new

Glossary of Home Theater Terms - New and Improved! (1 Viewer)

BenC

Auditioning
Great glossary! This will help me understand a bunch
of threads.

I was looking for a couple terms that may have different names in your glossary.

Farouja/DCDi? and white crush?

Thanks!

Chris White

Second Unit
Great glossary! This will help me understand a bunch
of threads.

Thanks Ben.

Farouja/DCDi? and white crush?

These terms have been added to the glossary.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure where to ask this so apologies if this isn't the best place. I tried a Google search, one here, and looking through the primer but couldn't find what I was looking for.

What quality difference is there between the best HDTV can offer and film?

Scott Giles

Auditioning
Chris;

Would you consider running through the term "pillerbox" for me (us). I'm guessing at its definition and I'd rather KNOW. Hopefully it's not so commonly known that it's only one or two of us, er..newer readers...that don't know...

Thanks.
Scott

Chris White

Second Unit
Sorry about the SLOW response Scott. I was out of the country last week and missed your question.

Would you consider running through the term "pillerbox"

I think pillerbox refers to black bars on all sides of the picture. For example, shows like West Wing are shot with something like a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. If your local HD station shows this in standard definition, you're going to have black bars on all sides of the picture.

Patrick Young

Stunt Coordinator
Hi does someone know what BFD stands for? People were talking about it in the Speaker and Sub forum and I asked but didn't get a reply. Mostly I think because the thread was over or moved on.

Thanks for the help and great list.

Patrick Young

Stunt Coordinator
Well Gee now I know why no one responded to my post:b.
I finally read the FAQ's again. And found out what a BFD is sorry for being such a newbie again DOOOOH.

When I had originally joined I had planned on buying everything to set up my HT. And I used to read the HTF all the time. But, our finances took other priorities and put the HT on hold. Hence I stopped reading. Well now I'm back and I will try not to ask any more questions without looking at all of the FAQ's and primer stuff.

Thanks again for the great Forum.

Pat:D

Jeff*K

Agent
Just want to say WOW, thanks for the Glossary it's been really informative to an HT newb like me...

charlieGee

Auditioning
Can anyone explain to me the pros and cons of Plasma, LCD, and DLP? I am just starting to look at home theater options and I am not real clear on the differences. I'm not looking for the technical diffrences as much as the viewing quality and longevity of the units. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm open to brand and model recommendations too. Thanks.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone explain to me the pros and cons of Plasma, LCD, and DLP?
To properly do so could take several hours of discussion, but there is a superb article which should help you immensely in making the right decision:

Display Technologies: Parts I - IV

This 52 page in-depth report was written by Dr. Raymond Soneira last December, and is perhaps the best comparative guide to display technologies.

BTW: Raymond Soneira is President of DisplayMate Technologies and is a highly regarded research scientist in several different fields.

His bio says that he obtained his Ph.D. in Physics from Princeton University, spent 5 years as a Long-Term Member of the world famous Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, another 5 years as a Principal Investigator in the Computer Systems Research Laboratory at AT&T Bell Laboratories, and has also designed, tested, and installed color television broadcast equipment for the CBS Television Network Engineering and Development Department. He has authored over 35 research articles in scientific journals in physics and computer science, including Scientific American.

Basically he knows this stuff intimately. :)

charlieGee

Auditioning
Thanks so much Nils. I will try to locate the article and post any additional questions I may have. I really appreciate your response. Have a safe and happy Holiday Season.

charlieGee

Auditioning
Just realized you had a link to the article Nils. It will be very helpful to me for making a display decision. Thanks again.

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey real quick dude, just wanted to let you know about a term I think you missed. I recently wanted to know what the term "toe-in" meant, but I couldn't find it on your glossary.

Otherwise it looks pretty darn good
Eric

Chris White

Second Unit
Thanks for the praise and the suggestion Eric. I've added the following:

Toe-in - Changing the angle of speakers so that they face more towards the sweet spot instead of straight ahead. Toe-in changes the ratio of direct to reflected sound and is intended to solidify the center image and change the perceived tonal balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks